Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

TimeOfDeath said:

Doomguy - try to view the automap while you're pressing switches.

Yeah but what for? What I do when I want to check out the map number is open up the console or look at the latest autosave to look at what level I'm on. Yeah you can do that if you want. The only use for the automap in this case is looking at the map number.

Were you able to replicate the bug by pressing TAB? I guess it's a bug in zdoom. Also, I *think* bringing up the console cancels a demo recording.

TimeOfDeath said:

Were you able to replicate the bug by pressing TAB? I guess it's a bug in zdoom. Also, I *think* bringing up the console cancels a demo recording.

I wasn't able to replicate the bug because I changed the map to level 2519. If it's a an unknown bug then it might be the engine itself, I don't know on what to tell. When I playtest my wads I make sure there are no bugs and console errors present.

Bring up the console probably does end a demo recording. I know when playing a demo and if you open up the console it does end. I don't do demo recordings instead I record the gameplay footage and upload it to youtube or sometimes my website as an exclusive video.

Megalyth said:

For the sequel, make 30,000 maps with W1 exits. Rather than pressing space, you just have to hold the up arrow for about a thousand hours or so.

Yes. For added challenge, make the distance between the player and the exit linedef one pixel further on each map than on the last, compounding the madness the WAD will eventually drive you to.

I reached MAP493. But the switch isn't working (and with SW2 texture)...

Yeah this is pretty retarded, and I could only get to MAP60 before giving up and doing better things with my life, but it's in interesting concept all the same. I'd say at best it's like watching most kinds of avant-garde performance art: it's intriguing at the sound of it, but it doesn't take long to realize it's still a boring piece of dog poo. As silly minimalist concept WADs like these go, I'd stick with Congestion 64 or Ash Cave if anything.

It isn't much problem. If you are using ZDoom, just change the screen change animation to "None". And then start your speed skills in pressing use.

Yeah that what I did there. Well I just finished the first 6000 levels. Of course I was just loading an previous autosave because I wanted to read the text I skipped over because I was pressing spacebar so fast. The switch is working fine for me I didn't run into that problem.

If you are running into that problem and are using an older engine then my advice is to upgrade to a more recent one. Otherwise it's a problem far out of my reach that I am unable to solve.

Just tried using "Map MAP30000" command on ZDoom. And went through the monster sprites till the funny part.

Instead of "Our Hero", "Retard who wasted his time playing this crap".

One page being nothing but "Guys I'm way too cool to post in this thread so I'm going to post in this thread about how many posts are in it."

Now I know why people are getting this problem. I think it's because you are probably pressing the switch too fast and when the game autosaves and you end up with a already pressed switch, you are stuck in that level and will be unable to escape. The best solution I can give you guys is go back a previous autosave where the switch is not yet pressed. This happened in level 9700 when I was trying to beat more levels. I still beat that level but since I wanted to read the message I choose to go and found this.

Auto-save is disabled when recording a demo (I also have it disabled in general). Two of us have got stuck while pressing switches and trying to look at the automaps. The zdoom guys might look into it if you post about the bug on their forum.

Sergeant_Mark_IV said:

This thread and this wad are so bad that not even Post Hell wants it.

Well, it's got 104 replies. Upon seeing this, one might believe that people are actually fascinated by 30000 pointless levels.
We have to give Caesar what's Caesar's. He succeeded in making a popular thread, after all...

TimeOfDeath said:

Auto-save is disabled when recording a demo (I also have it disabled in general). Two of us have got stuck while pressing switches and trying to look at the automaps. The zdoom guys might look into it if you post about the bug on their forum.

They might look at it if I do. Like I said it might be because of pressing the switch too fast. I wouldn't blame you for disabling the screen wipe since that makes the game go faster. Who would want to see any of the screen wipe features when that slows the game down?

Also the wad is now available in the idgames archive. Check out the first post for the link.

Doomguy 2000 said:

Also the wad is now available in the idgames archive. Check out the first post for the link.

Meh.

DuckReconMajor said:

One page being nothing but "Guys I'm way too cool to post in this thread so I'm going to post in this thread about how many posts are in it."

But then that still leaves us with 3 pages... ;)

hex11 said:

You're approaching this the wrong way. Normal level editors are optimized for making traditional Doom maps. If you're just building a series of identical rooms with "end level" switches, you'd be better off writing your own editor. It could be from scratch (maybe with a scripting language), or re-using code from SLIGE. There's even existing tools that would help (xwadtools has some) and maybe also WadC.

Isn't it always the same room? Then you'd only need a tool to write a custom directory, and all map lumps would point to the same data. That way you could actually squeeze in more maps, I think.

After a long time playing this I beat the game and recorded the ending to 30,000 levels. You also get to see the surprising par time and end game award all together in this video.

You averaged 6.31 maps per second? How often did your space-bar catch on fire? Do the blisters hurt much?

GreyGhost said:

You averaged 6.31 maps per second? How often did your space-bar catch on fire? Do the blisters hurt much?

My spacebar did not catch on fire and I didn't get blisters. Most of the levels were done in 0 seconds because I set the screen wipe to none. I wonder if I would get a different par time if I had that screen wipe still on?