Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

Doomguy 2000 said:

Trust me I wanted to go all the way to 100,000. You can go to the bottom of the readme and read it for yourself. On my Windows XP laptop this takes me about 2 minutes to load. Imagine how long it would take if I had 100,000 levels programmed?

You're approaching this the wrong way. Normal level editors are optimized for making traditional Doom maps. If you're just building a series of identical rooms with "end level" switches, you'd be better off writing your own editor. It could be from scratch (maybe with a scripting language), or re-using code from SLIGE. There's even existing tools that would help (xwadtools has some) and maybe also WadC.

The other thing is, I wouldn't actually want to play this PWAD (too boring!) so It would be necessary to automate that part too. Could be as simple as jamming the space key with a coin or something, but that's still very time-consuming. Maybe some time overhead can be bypassed with -nodraw, or maybe some custom Doom port is needed...

hex11 said:

The other thing is, I wouldn't actually want to play this PWAD (too boring!) so It would be necessary to automate that part too. Could be as simple as jamming the space key with a coin or something, but that's still very time-consuming. Maybe some time overhead can be bypassed with -nodraw, or maybe some custom Doom port is needed...

I suggest /dev/null.

Sergeant_Mark_IV said:

Can somebody help me? I'm stuck in MAP6582, my spacebar broke, and half of my brain cells died.

Here,take some Brutal Doom,you'll be a brand-new man right away!

You know, most of this thread has been detailed advice on how Doomguy 2000 here can more efficiently produce crappy jokewads.

Vordakk said:

I'm at a loss for why this many people have posted replies to this thread.

Because I'm pretty sure he just broke a world record and he actually put some work into it. I think it's neat. Stuck up bastards can fork it.

Vordakk said:

I'm at a loss for why this many people have posted replies to this thread.

Bored, lonely and easily amused - or at least that's my excuse. :P

Can you not dirty up the wiki with your senseless crap? You're not supposed to be using the wiki to promote your shitty wads.

This thread is funny because helicopters.

EarthQuake said:

Can you not dirty up the wiki with your senseless crap? You're not supposed to be using the wiki to promote your shitty wads.

Have to agree with you there. Self-promoting detritus belongs in that other wiki we no longer mention by name.

I don't usually check spoilers, but is the secret exit on map15 or somewhere else?

i'm reminded of a text parser game, "69105 Keys"

After a series of adventures too mind-boggling to put into words, you finally arrive at the antechamber to the Count's treasure vault! Oh my, oh me...

VAULT ANTECHAMBER
Wowzers. The Count opted for simplicity and vague elegance in his treasure vault antechamber, choosing to dress the walls, floor, and ceiling alike in money-green marble tiles delicately flecked with gold. Apart from yourself and the stupendously locked vault door to the south, there's nothing here. Except for... THE KEYS.

>examine door
The heavy vault door is closed and locked. Very locked. Your keen adventurer eyes espy the following inscription: "One of these keys is not like the others. One of these keys just isn't the same. That one unique key unlocks my vault. Perhaps it would help if you tried my name. -- Count Keys"

>count keys
You see 69,105 keys here.

>shit!
That's not a verb I recognize.

KiiiYiiiKiiiA said:

This thread is funny because helicopters.

My friend wants to switch career paths to become a helicopter pilot.

Hellbent said:

My friend wants to switch career paths to become a helicopter pilot.

That made a lot of sense...

I'll give points for managing to come up with a new 'gimmick' for doom levels after 15+ years. Shame that the gimmick isn't actually that interesting in terms of execution.

The most interesting part of this project is the number of posts this thread has accumulated so far. This is why modern artists exist. This is why someone can shit inside a metal can and call it art, and why other people even bother to discuss CANNED SHIT as an entry in modern art.

Why someone with no skill whatsoever, no plan, no artistic insight would absorb so much attention is just beyond me.

ellmo said:

The most interesting part of this project is the number of posts this thread has accumulated so far. This is why modern artists exist. This is why someone can shit inside a metal can and call it art, and why other people even bother to discuss CANNED SHIT as an entry in modern art.

Why someone with no skill whatsoever, no plan, no artistic insight would absorb so much attention is just beyond me.

Or maybe it's something refreshing that has never been done before? If you look at most wads these days it's just map sets and weapon mods that's about all I see and every once in awhile you will see something new and innovative.

Is this innovative? or 30,000 variations on the exit room of E1M1?

it's a philosophical kind of thing. how much Doom can you take out of Doom before it isn't? yet afterwards, what have you remaining but Doom?

"Well, I finally finished* this megawad, and I had fun.** Here are my suggestions.

I did feel the levels need more of a sense of progression, other than an intermission screen every now and again.I would suggest that you change the switch texture every 100 levels or so, just to break it up a bit. Occasionally you could move the exit switch a little further away from the player, so they have to walk forwards to use the switch, just to add some action. Perhaps after you hit the thousandth level, you could put a zombieman in there. I mean, I understand that levels like these can be tough to balance. Do you give the player the shotty around level 1000, or wait until perhaps level 1400 or so. I thought that level 2049 would be the ideal level to put a rocket launcher. Put the BFG in a secret on level 8496, just to give the player a fighting chance, as that is a tough level.

Maybe you could put a soulsphere every few hundred levels, just for a bit of variety. Maybe even an invulnerability sphere on a few levels, just for a quick flash of white before you return to your regular levels. Maybe even some nukage on the floor for a hundred consecutive levels or so, just to challenge the player a bit. I think level 12465 is where the boss fight should be. A cyberdemon on that level would be a nasty surprise.

It's funny because dying.

I did feel that many of the levels were a bit cramped. Perhaps on some levels you could put a sky texture, should fix that right up. And don't forget to always lower-unpeg the sides of your doors.*** And lastly, I just want to say that you did an amazing job of aligning the textures. I don't think I saw even one misaligned texture in the entire mapset. Good attention to detail there. Also well done for never letting any of the levels degenerate into a tedious switch-hunt.

I was a bit disappointed that there was no multiplayer support. Co-op would be awesomesauce! 30,000 levels of uninterrupted telefragging.

I found myself pleased that you have granted permission for these levels to be used as a base for other mappers too.

I know I have been a bit critical, but if you fix some of these issues up, you could have something that is playable I'm going to cry now.

Seriously Doomguy, ignore the haters. I found myself impressed each time I got to an intermission screen, and found different things written in each. There is actual work gone into this. Also, you have really raised some tough philosophical questions about what actually constitutes art, especially as it pertains to videogaming. Does something have to be playable to be considered art? Or is its very inaccessibility showing us something about ourselves, because of our assumptions of what makes playing one game 'good' and another game 'no fun at all'? What makes a videogame 'fun'? And is there anyone out there who would find this truly enjoyable? Why does repetition to this degree seem so outside our comfort zone? Why am I rambling now?

This wad may not be a contender for any cacowards, but it is a unique and singular achievement, and I would love to see if anyone actually ever finishes it. I hope so.

In the future, I also hope to see some speedrunning demos on youtube. Should go viral.

*Where I said 'finished', I actually meant 'played up to level 300 or so.' Then I saved. As you do.

**When I say 'fun', what I mean is I still had more fun than playing gears of war, which is my current low end benchmark for PC gaming.

***When I say 'lower-unpeg your dooTHERE ARE NO DOORS!!!!! GAK!!!

And lastly...

gravager said:

it's a philosophical kind of thing. how much Doom can you take out of Doom before it isn't? yet afterwards, what have you remaining but Doom?

This is art all on its own. Well said, my man, well said.

One idea would be to have wall textures that animate when you hit the switch (like turning the pages in a flipbook), but I don't know if the engine can change maps so quickly...

I played maps 1, 2, 29,999 and 30,000. I found the secret exit in level 2 by opening the console and typing "map map29999."

hex11 said:

One idea would be to have wall textures that animate when you hit the switch (like turning the pages in a flipbook), but I don't know if the engine can change maps so quickly...

Turn off screen wipe as was discussed earlier.

KiiiYiiiKiiiA said:

"Well, I finally finished* this megawad, and I had fun.** Here are my suggestions.

I did feel the levels need more of a sense of progression, other than an intermission screen every now and again.I would suggest that you change the switch texture every 100 levels or so, just to break it up a bit. Occasionally you could move the exit switch a little further away from the player, so they have to walk forwards to use the switch, just to add some action.

Now that is something I didn't think of. What we need is an engine that is more suitable and advanced for this kind of thing. Maybe make an engine that would load wads with tons of MAPINFO fast so that way I can look into creating a sequel for this. For now it what it is.

Perhaps after you hit the thousandth level, you could put a zombieman in there. I mean, I understand that levels like these can be tough to balance. Do you give the player the shotty around level 1000, or wait until perhaps level 1400 or so. I thought that level 2049 would be the ideal level to put a rocket launcher. Put the BFG in a secret on level 8496, just to give the player a fighting chance, as that is a tough level. Maybe you could put a soulsphere every few hundred levels, just for a bit of variety. Maybe even an invulnerability sphere on a few levels, just for a quick flash of white before you return to your regular levels. Maybe even some nukage on the floor for a hundred consecutive levels or so, just to challenge the player a bit. I think level 12465 is where the boss fight should be. A cyberdemon on that level would be a nasty surprise.

Yeah but that would ruin the concept of just pressing spacebar.

I did feel that many of the levels were a bit cramped. Perhaps on some levels you could put a sky texture, should fix that right up.

I could do that but why look up at the walls when it's all the same? Then again another idea I can think about doing.

And don't forget to always lower-unpeg the sides of your doors.*** And lastly, I just want to say that you did an amazing job of aligning the textures. I don't think I saw even one misaligned texture in the entire mapset. Good attention to detail there. Also well done for never letting any of the levels degenerate into a tedious switch-hunt.

That's good to hear.

I was a bit disappointed that there was no multiplayer support. Co-op would be awesomesauce! 30,000 levels of uninterrupted telefragging.

Yeah but how will you be able to move? Co-op would be pointless in this because there's no monsters.

I found myself pleased that you have granted permission for these levels to be used as a base for other mappers too.

I know I have been a bit critical, but if you fix some of these issues up, you could have something that is playable I'm going to cry now.

Maybe other mappers could come up with more interesting ideas with what I presented here.

Seriously Doomguy, ignore the haters. I found myself impressed each time I got to an intermission screen, and found different things written in each. There is actual work gone into this. Also, you have really raised some tough philosophical questions about what actually constitutes art, especially as it pertains to videogaming. Does something have to be playable to be considered art? Or is its very inaccessibility showing us something about ourselves, because of our assumptions of what makes playing one game 'good' and another game 'no fun at all'? What makes a videogame 'fun'? And is there anyone out there who would find this truly enjoyable? Why does repetition to this degree seem so outside our comfort zone? Why am I rambling now?

This wad may not be a contender for any cacowards, but it is a unique and singular achievement, and I would love to see if anyone actually ever finishes it. I hope so.

Thanks, I glad you like this wad. Of course if your interested you can check out my previous wad known as Doomguy's Warzone Gold Edition as it has some of my better maps I put more effort into.

It probably won't win a cacoward but you never know on what could happen. I plan on finishing this then recording and posting a video on YouTube with the total par time.

In the future, I also hope to see some speedrunning demos on youtube. Should go viral.

I agree that it should go viral. The speed running demos would be something interesting to see.

*Where I said 'finished', I actually meant 'played up to level 300 or so.' Then I saved. As you do.

**When I say 'fun', what I mean is I still had more fun than playing gears of war, which is my current low end benchmark for PC gaming.

***When I say 'lower-unpeg your dooTHERE ARE NO DOORS!!!!! GAK!!!

It's kind of intense and boring at the same. I have to take breaks myself before I can come back and press the spacebar but you get to listen to different midi track while you're at it.

Porsche Monty said:

This redefines garbage.

Don't worry, I'll make a wad about how your signature redefines it instead. :-)

Or, you could stop making crappy wads in an attempt to gain infamy? How much time did you put into this exactly? What do you gain from this? Why don't you try making something that's not a terrible unfunny ripfest jokewad or a copypaste of a small square room?