Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

Bucket said:

Fun fact: Doom first dropped on December 10th, 1993.

6660 days ago.

:O

Yikes! O_0 It's crazy that the amount of days it's been around is now a hellish number!

Probably a few thousand, maybe even then some. I've slowed down quite a bit recently though, i need to get back in the groove. Just not motivated enough.

Probably not a very high amount of hours.. but I feel like 1 hour of Doom = at least 4 hours of most other games I play. It's the sheer speed & the lack of built-in breaks. combat heavy levels without a lot of exploration & tricks are not far from being a bullet hell shoot em up.

Hm. I'd say between 1.5 and 2 thousand.

I know I played Battlefield 2 for 250 hours, now I'm playing Bad Company 2 for something similar, Starcraft 1 and 2 ? No, does not even come close. Quake? Minecraft? hmmm... I have like a month and a half (roughly a 1100-1200 hours) logged on all my WoW characters combined and I've been playing WoW for only 6 years now, so let's see... been playing Doom for 17 years on and off...

OH MY FUCK I NEED HELP.

How the fuck should I know? Seriously, I have a very poor grip on time and couldn't possibly give you an accurate answer. Hundreds of hours? Thousands? WHO KNOWS?

I've never been huge in to Doom. I've never made a map or any kind of mod. I've only played deathmatch and any IWADS a handful of times. I just recently played Evilution and Plutonia for the first time. But I go through spells.

I'm probably over 1000 hours. Add another 50 if you include Heretic and Hexen.

Let's see, at least over two days of just IDL games. Started playing in 1995...

I would say, at the very least, 4% of my entire life has literally been spent playing the game. Time dedicated to doing other stuff around it? A depressingly higher number.

Fortunately, I still find time to lead a normal life with this hobby! Also, it has been relatively cheap.

Hey guys, if we take all of the hours that we have played Doom and added them together (I mean, we would add the amount of hours that I and all of the other persons' Doom play hours), how much hours would that be? I bet it would be a shitload of days.

Phobus said:

I don't know, but I have a feeling if I found out I'd be very depressed to realise how much of my life has gone into this game.

There's 8766 hours in a 365.25 day year and I know that just for the /newstuff reviewing that I've done alone I've played nearly 48 hours (2 full days) of Doom. That's over a time frame of around 2 months. Doom has been out for about 219.5 months according to some calculations I've just done, so assuming I've played at least this much Doom on average since it came out (which is probably an underestimate) we get 5268 hours of Dooming. That's coming on for 2/3rds of a year or about 7.2 months.

Now of my life (rounded to 269 months) that means I've spent at least 2.6% of it playing Doom. Now add in all of the time spent making maps and mods and all of the time spent on various Doom forums? Like I said: very depressed :(

I've spent in the neighborhood of 8000 hours playing WoW over the last six years. Don't feel too depressed. :)

Porsche Monty said:

An hour a day for 18 years amounts to 6570 Doom hours. 9000+?...come on.

Only an hour a day? That's a casual player. :P

scalliano said:

I'm in the THOUSANDS, easily.

Hell yeah! I've played so many hours that I can't even estimate them.

Probably in the thousands like many here. Can't say I regret any of it. Time spent much less productively is all my forum posts... Sometimes I wish I had no posting rights (and you might say "well, don't make an account", but on every forum there's a few insufferable individuals who post a lot, and ignore lists are such significant quality of life improvements I can't live without these).

Over 90000 hours!

I remember playing Doom for an entire year for 6-10 hours almost every day for about an entire year.

I've played countless hours beating the IWADs and other levels, deathmatching, testing my own source port. All since I was a small kid!

Yeah I honestly have no idea, though I know it has slowed down in the last decade...sort of. When I was a teenager I must have wracked up countless hours. Last night I played TNT for just shy of two hours, that was damn fun.

You guys need to go outside more often, LOL. :P

On a serious note, I can't recall how many hours I've Doomed (I haven't thought about keeping count)...

I am not sure who could answer to this question since we never counted. Maybe just by some naive approximation?

Sometimes I get hooked to some older or newer MegaWADs for weeks and sometimes I might not even touch Doom for a month or two. It's hard to even tell an average per day.

Oh,. let's see. I had installed a tracker software in my computer (Why? Did I thought I could fight procrastination? Maybe. But served mostly as interesting statistics). The first three top applications (since 7/11/2011) are:

Google Chrome - 97.25h
Zdoom - 92.85h
UT2004 - 16.16h

I guess I mostly use this laptop for internet, doom and sometimes UT2004 sessions with my friends :) Working (coding projects) goes 7th with only 9.76h, this shows how big procrastinator I am (or this is not my main dev PC anyway :).

Going back to the main point, I always thought it would be interesting if somehow magically I had stats from heaven (or hell :) about various aspects of my Doom life. How many hours as you said, how many imps, cacos, etc were killed, how many shells, ammo clips, etc I have collected, how many times I have died, damage taken and given, and much more. It's interesting that some modern games do track these information and then you look at it and wonder, "Wow, did I really spent 300 hours in Oblivion?!". It could be done in a Doom port too, but I'd love this to be Zdoom based because I am not changing, and I will never know the original stats from the first time I played Doom anyway. But would be an interesting idea for a port, though I'd have to start playing again with this port and give it enough time to become interesting.

And yes, I do not have a life :)

p.s. I just realized by reading the other thread that 92h in 5 months is quite few. And that while it seemed quite crazy to my brother that my second PC activity after internet browsing is simply Doom, it really isn't compared to what I read here. Maybe if I add those other hours since I first played doom, the could be some hundreds, barely maybe touching the 4th digit, maybe not. Though playing this game since 1996 and if I try an average calculatation from that statistic above, it's 192 months * 16h/per month = 3072. Hmm,. more than I thought. Even if I think more conservative and say I played half the hours in the past it's still over 1000. I remember in the past trying lot's of single player WADs for years but something like 3-4 hours per day, yet I didn't play every day in one year for a long period. Over 6 hours I get physically tired even with Doom.