Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
T-Rex

Dr. Sleep's missing level - should it be released?

While checking out some stuff on Doom Wiki, I read about a map by John Anderson (a.k.a. Dr. Sleep) called Lethe.wad. I think it would be neat to try it since Dr. Sleep's one of my favourite Doom mappers of the 90s. Sadly, that map never saw the light of day. Should it be completed and be released? If so, maybe someone who captures his style well should complete it - like Pcorf, perhaps.

Since it's not a theoretical WAD (screenshots in the Doom Builder manual show both Lethe and the Doom II version of Chiron in Explorer) I'd prefer Anderson just finish and release it himself. Since he's become something of a hermit lately, though, I doubt that will happen, and even if he did, I imagine it would be fairly divorced from his original '95 crop of WADs we so fondly remember given his life experiences in the interim.

I'd rather see "tribute" WADs to Anderson rather than someone attempt to cap off his episode, but knowing nothing of what Lethe was to be (and his works little resembling Alligheri's narrative), I suppose one map in his style would be as good as any other when it comes to ending his Inferno.

kmxexii said:

I imagine it would be fairly divorced from his original '95 crop of WADs we so fondly remember given his life experiences in the interim.

Why? What happened to him?

At first I thought it was a good idea, but now I have to agree with kmxexii; I too would rather see John finish it himself, although it's not very likely (but then again, we never know). If anyone were to do the work for him, they'd have to ask for his permission first.

I'm not sure what John's up to lately, but I'm sure he has better things to do in life than just map.

janvknn said:

Why? What happened to him?

Check the Doom Wiki. You'll find your answer there. ;)

HavoX said:

Check the Doom Wiki. You'll find your answer there. ;)

All it says is that he's "alive and well and currently living somewhere in the Laurel Mountains of southwestern Pennsylvania".

Processingcontrol said:

I remember reading somewhere that he went to prison.

Wow, I know he worked on Daikatana but isn't that a bit harsh?

The wiki was edited just over a year ago.

Previously it claimed this:

Dr. Sleep's last web activity was in November of 2004. Nothing has been heard of him since then. When questioned about Dr. Sleep's whereabouts, John Romero commented that Anderson was allegedly under investigation by the FBI and personally owed Romero $10,000 [http://www.formspring.me/theromero/q/412032274].

Obviously, there is no way of finding out wheter it was/is true or not

I have a feeling we will never see John complete the level himself due to his severe inactivity in the community and should have someone else complete it.

I don't see the point of such "the way X did" wads. Doom the way id did probably worked better because we had a larger example and it was the first to try, but trying to emulate every other's style sounds like trying too hard.

Its shocking to read all those things about Dr. Sleep! His editing tutorials were the greatest source of inspiration for mapping/modding I ever had. Its a shame he isn't around anymore.

I wouldn't think someone who is alive and well, living in a mountaintop nowhere isn't off the hook from the law. Then again, revealing such information isn't smart if that were the case.

I doubt the edit made on the wiki about Dr Sleep being fine is legitimate, though it's anyone's guess.

janvknn said:

All it says is that he's "alive and well and currently living somewhere in the Laurel Mountains of southwestern Pennsylvania".

I'm not Dr Sleep!

printz said:

I don't see the point of such "the way X did" wads. Doom the way id did probably worked better because we had a larger example and it was the first to try, but trying to emulate every other's style sounds like trying too hard.

Doom the way Dr. Sleep did rule #1: Never put colored trim textures around your locked doors!

One thing for sure, once Lethe is released, if it ever does, it will be a prime nominee for the Mordeth award, since it's been under development for a very long time, dating back to 1995 and all.

Mordeth and Lethe are the only two well-known, um, phantom wads, as I'll put it, that are yet to be finished and hit the scene for Doom.

He drank from the Lethe.

I think he edited that wiki entry about his whereabouts himself, I hope he'll return.