Favorite id marine concept?  

13 members have voted

1. 1. Favorite id marine concept?

• Doom's marine suit
    • Quake1's marine suit
    • Quake 2's marine armour suit
    • Something from Q3A (please share)
    • id's marines all suck!

Which of id's FPSs boasts the coolest looking marine combat suit?

Don't like the Q3A Doom marine model - his armour looks too cartoonish and his pants look like crap (partially because of the ultra-mega-sized pockets).

The ultra mega sized pockets are holding ammo, you know...

And besides it can't be as cartoony as it was in Doom IMO. id's artistic design doesn't go backwards.

No no no no no, Quake's textures, level design and character design completely owned Doom's. There were obvios technological limitations, though.

Frankly, I don't give a crap about how "artsy" it is at this point. Sure, it's gotta look good, but DOOM is enough for me. Now we get into Quake and Quake 2...../me creams his jeans

Originally posted by Zaldron
The ultra mega sized pockets are holding ammo, you know...

And besides it can't be as cartoony as it was in Doom IMO. id's artistic design doesn't go backwards.

This gotta be a joke.
Doomguy's pants in Doom LOOKED like army pants - the ones in Q3A didn't.
And I can see that you don't know shit about where soldiers keep ammo - keeping ammo in you leg pockets is really silly, because the weight balance gets fucked up.
you keep ammo in the bags in your base belt. The leg pockets are only for stuff like bandages and other 'soft' equipment.

Ok, so there are medkits in there. Big deal. I just wanted to point out he's carrying a little box of something. Ammo, bandages, peanuts, gum, severed ears, whatever.

And the pants from Doom look like..ummmh frankly nothing, just pants. Both the 320x200 pic and the sprite don't have enough detail to tell.

Well, it's a matter of taste and personal point of view.
I find that the pants in Doom have the "form" of army pants (they remind me a helluva lot of real army pants y'know) whereas the Q3A pants just look kinda silly.
And about the realism problems with Q3A's Doomguy pants: Like I said above, unless it's very damn light, if you carried something as big as what the pockets seem to be containing, the wieght balance would be fucked up and even IF the contents of the pockets was light, your ability to balance properly would be fucked up as well.

I just find it hard to believe that the Doomguy can move very well in those pants.

But I DO like Q3A's depiction of the helmet.

No no no no no, Quake's textures, level design and character design completely owned Doom's. There were obvios technological limitations, though.

True, true, true.

And DOOM III's marine design is the best, by the way :]

Originally posted by Zaldron No no no no no, Quake's textures, level design and character design completely owned Doom's.

Hmm, I disagree there - I didn't like the shoulder plates or the leg armour plates in Quake.
But I agree with the textures :-)

Well you're just refering to the player, how about the rest of the creatures? I specially liked how the high-powered creatures are blind. IMO that made them really creepy.

With all the technological limits id had to face back then, I can say they made a tremendous job at designing that hostile, Lovecraft-esque dimension. I'd like to see a Quake 1 sequel sometime. Agreed, plot wise is practically like Doom, but I like the idea of these lonely, dark and twisted dimensions. They didn't used bones and flesh and blood, but I was frigging scared nonetheless.

Zaldron, first off this whole thread is ABOUT the player models only which is the reason why I replied the way I did.
Second, I must say that I agree that Quake1's monsters were well-designed considering the tech-limitations, but I still don't like the player design - Helmet is a lot uglier than the Doomguy's, it's just a friggin' cardboard box (It was better in Q3A though).

Yes, I would actually like to see a real Quake1 sequel despite my general dislike for Quake1.
Quake1 had some good elements in it - I wish id would expand on these somehow (besides, Quake1 was never ended properly - in MP 2 DoE you destroy some machine, enter a time-teleporting device and....what next?)

And the pants from Doom look like..ummmh frankly nothing, just pants. Both the 320x200 pic and the sprite don't have enough detail to tell.

Just use your imagination, like I do :)

Oh wow, now dsm is trying to argue with Zaldron......

Originally posted by Crendowing

Oh wow, now dsm is trying to argue with Zaldron......

I don't argue, I discuss. Arguments usually contain a bit of hostility - I'm not being hostile towards Zaldron, I just disagree with him.
And of course I'm discussing. discussing is fun :-)

Originally posted by Fredrik
Use imagination about pants? Eww, don't go too far.

Only YOU would think about that Fred.

Discussing rocks. I've always thought that the Quake marine came from a very gothic rendition of Earth. His combat suit resembles a medieval armor, not to mention the dark, lifeless look of the slipgate complex.

I would love to see what cities look in a Quake 1 sequel.

Discussing rocks. I've always thought that the Quake marine came from a very gothic rendition of Earth. His combat suit resembles a medieval armor, not to mention the dark, lifeless look of the slipgate complex.

I would love to see what cities look in a Quake 1 sequel.

Ah yes...the sombreness of the first Quake. It's perfect to play at night. And the ambient "music" by Trent Reznor perfectly fits the mood to it. With the right speakers, you'd be in a virtiual Quake world! The fluidity of the game itself makes it lifelike in its own way!

It still blows :P

Why the fuck doesn't she wear a proper pair of army pants?

I picked the last option, because they all suck. Warhammer 40k space marines own them completely. But they are in turn owned by terminators, which are owned by dreadnaughts, which in their own right are owned by Tyranid carnifexes and hive tyrants. So there.

Originally posted by the_Danarchist
I picked the last option, because they all suck. Warhammer 40k space marines own them completely. But they are in turn owned by terminators, which are owned by dreadnaughts, which in their own right are owned by Tyranid carnifexes and hive tyrants. So there.

Here are my views on Warhammer 40k marines: They suck! They are too fucking big and bulky and they would be discovered from miles away due to lacking comoflage AND because of the bulkyness of their suits.
I mean, how the Hell are they supposed to be able to lie in wait without being discovered (making it difficult for your enemy to discover you is way to important to be ignored)?