Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Sign in to follow this  
MRB_Doom

Alien plant species threaten Antarctica’s ecosystem balance

Plants in Antarctica? Riiiight.

So MRB_Doom, my good man, since when have you decided to become Doomworld's resident newsboy? :P

HavoX said:

So MRB_Doom, my good man, since when have you decided to become Doomworld's resident newsboy? :P

I think because I want to share the news with fellow Doom fans and start discussions that lead to interesting conclusions or references to Doom to put it that way.

I have a couple of fan art projects pending or let's say, in the early stages of the entire process.

Hopefully fellow Doomworlders will laugh and enjoy these art works.

I should've drawn them a long time ago, but I feel ready now.

Maes said:

And then you were a zombie?

I was basically in Hell for lack of a better word. I survived complete loneliness / darkness simply for being different (I was hated for not wanting to get wasted every weekend). If you want to know more you can PM me.

Doomworld is one of the few forums, if not the only one, that I enjoy on a daily basis.

Antarctica's 'ecosystem' is composed of penguins and their fleas (joke).

Check out "strange days on planet earth" (the intros are kinda lame but the rest is interesting) about invasive species:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=a_HWqlmvX1k

Of course maybe that's 'copyrighted' material or something which might result in a post hell even though it has 50 thousand views on youtube...

Its supposedly the biggest mass extinction since the dinosaurs. But I'm not sure how many of those extinctions were on small islands with lots of unique life like hawaii.

Gee I never knew there were plants in Antartica. I mean, isn't that place too cold for plants to live in?

MRB_Doom said:

Made me think of The Thing.

Come to think of it, this article reminds me of The Thing too!

NitroactiveStudios said:

Gee I never knew there were plants in Antartica. I mean, isn't that place too cold for plants to live in?

Obviously not redwoods, but lichens and mosses can live there in abundance on the continental exterior. Actually after doing some reading, it seems there are actually some flowering species that live there as well. The coastal areas of antarctica aren't quite so hostile to life as the interior desert glaciers are.

MRB_Doom said:

This article got my attention simply because it had "Alien" and "Antarctica" in the headline. Made me think of The Thing.

You're getting your poles mixed up, The Thing was up north.

Maes said:

Plants in Antarctica? Riiiight.

Mostly fossilized now. Before separating from South America and Australia, the Antarctic climate was probably similar to that of Norway.

MRB_Doom said:
Made me think of The Thing.

Or...

On the barren shore, and on the lofty ice barrier in the background, myriads of grotesque penguins squawked and flapped their fins, while many fat seals were visible on the water, swimming or sprawling across large cakes of slowly drifting ice.

GreyGhost said:

The old movie was, but the story it's based on and the newer movies take place in Antarctica. I'm guessing they switched to the Arctic in the 1951 movie to make it more "American".

GreyGhost said:

Or South America if you prefer the novel.

Mostly fossilized now. Before separating from South America and Australia, the Antarctic climate was probably similar to that of Norway.

The place is a treasure trove yet untapped for early mammalian fossils.

GreyGhost said:

Every incarnation of The Thing that I know (including the book) is set in Antarctica.

Mr. T said:

Every incarnation of The Thing that I know (including the book) is set in Antarctica.

I stand corrected, sir.