Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
neubejiita

Mark Shuttleworth says Ubuntu beats Windows & Macintosh OS's on the desktop.

That's debatable. Very. IMO, each OS corresponds with a type of user. E.g. if you want to be able to run all applications, but don't care much about stability, then Windows is for you.
If you're rich and you want total stability and want to show off your Mac, than Mac OS is for you. But you can't run most apps, at least not without emulation.
On the other hand, if you just want a functional, free OS that does it's job...do I need to say more? ;)

EDITED to correspond to Sodaholic's hi-quality grammar standards. Happy now? Like I'm a fckin journalist or something...

OS comparisons like that are irrelevant and pointless. The real question is "can I do everything I want to with system X?" Personally, my answer to that question for Mac or any Linux flavor would "no".

[PROTOTYPE] said:
but don't care much about stability,then Windows is for you.

Yeah, because it's still 1999.

Jodwin said:

OS comparisons like that are irrelevant and pointless. The real question is "can I do everything I want to with system X?" Personally, my answer to that question for Mac or any Linux flavor would "no".

{There's a catch: If you want a Mac, you can't run anything but Mac OS. At least not without hacks.}
EDIT:Ignore the BS in the { }, my mistake.It was actually vice-versa. You can't install Mac OS on crappy PCs.

kristus said:

Yeah, because it's still 1999.

Look dude, it can run apps that the competing OS's can't. So what if it's 1999, then?

kristus said:

So this is what it feels like to get an brain aneurysm.

What the hell is that supposed to mean?

[PROTOTYPE] said:
There's a catch: If you want a Mac, you can't run anything but Mac OS. At least not without hacks.

A modern Mac is nothing but a PC with a special chip somewhere that says "my owner has far too much money". Mac OS will only accept to run on PCs that have 'this special chip. But Windows and Linux? They aren't looking to see if it exists. You can install them on a Mac and it'll work just as well as if it were a PC. Because a Mac is a PC, just a lot more expensive.

In fact there are many people who have setup their Mac to dual-boot with Windows or Linux, or triple-boot with both.

It's the other way around. If you want to run Mac OS on a system that isn't grossly overpriced, you'll need hacks. Those are generally called Hackintoshes...

neubejiita said:

I am not going back to the Ubuntu desktop ever.

Forever is a long time. I'll wait and see what people who haven't a vested interest in the product's success have to say before making my mind up.

Gez said:

Because a Mac is a PC, just a lot more expensive...

...and damn cool-looking.

Mark Shuttleworth has said that he wants developers to be the main driver for the design of the Ubuntu desktop instead of designers and he wants kernel hackers and other programmers to enjoy the Unity desktop and the HUD, but I hate it with a passion. The Unity desktop in the Ubuntu 12.04 beta is very buggy and slow, the opposite of the Metro Windows 8 interface which is quite fast in operation.

The Cinnamon desktop is available for the Ubuntu distribution, but if you want a faster desktop, then the Windowmaker desktop is available. Would a kernel hacker use Unity and the HUD?

[PROTOTYPE] said:

So is a glacier, and there's probably a metaphor hidden somewhere in that analogy. Macs are fine, if you prefer style over substance.

[PROTOTYPE] said:

What the hell is that supposed to mean?

What he's saying is that Windows is perfectly stable. Provided you know how to use a computer and do a little periodic rudimentary maintenance.

DoomUK said:

What he's saying is that Windows is perfectly stable. Provided you know how to use a computer and do a little periodic rudimentary maintenance.

But Mac and Ubuntu are more stable and secure. So my point stands. So , kristus, don't you come and tell me that Windows never got stuck to you. Or that Mac crashes more often.

[PROTOTYPE] said:

You can buy plenty of cool cases for standard PC hardware, you know. :P (I've also seen GPU fans with blue LEDs in them. And blue LEDs are cool, right?)

Anyways I'm still on Windows XP for the sole reason that it's stable, I have all my software installed, and it does what I want. (I'm probably going to be switching to 7 (or 8 depending on how long I slack off) when I get a big hardware update or something, though) Surely, Linux or Mac OS X do what I want too, but they have unfamiliar interfaces, which makes the idea of me switching to these operating systems a little less appealing.

It's been many years since XP dun goofed on me. The last catastophy I had with my system was my own fault, not Windows'.

InsanityBringer said:

You can buy plenty of cool cases for standard PC hardware, you know. :P (I've also seen GPU fans with blue LEDs in them. And blue LEDs are cool, right?)

Yeah, I know, but Macs are self-contained. In other words, your Mac is an ultra-smart, a bit thicker than average monitor with CPU, RAM, GPU, ...etc. Google it for yourself.

DoomUK said:

It's been many years since XP dun goofed on me. The last catastophy I had with my system was my own fault, not Windows'.

Let me guess...you got viruses. Well, Mac and Ubuntu are kinda immune to viruses (very few exist for them). So, technically, it IS Windows's fault.

Macs are well designed because of Apple's vertical integration; OSX is also very nice. These days you can boot to pretty much any OS you like (Macs use EFI but have BIOS emulation.)

[PROTOTYPE] said:

Yeah, I know, but Macs are self-contained.

That's so beautiful :')

[PROTOTYPE] said:
Let me guess...you got viruses. Well, Mac and Ubuntu are kinda immune to viruses (very few exist for them).

You yourself note that a few do exist.

The only immunity they have is, basically, a form of safety through obscurity. Since they are fringe systems only used by a small minority of people, then they don't get targeted as much. If Macs had a 50% market share, they'd be attacked just as often. If they had 80% market share, it's Windows that'd be nearly never targeted by viruses.

So it is in the interest of Mac fanboys to make sure that other people keep using Windows. Hipster elitism is their defense against malware!

As for the OT, I have no idea what to think at all because there's nothing about the look, feel and functionality of the new interface. I mean, when there's a thread about Windows 8's interface, you get pictures so that you can draw your own conclusion about how horrible it is. Here, just a single paragraph in which Shuttleworth congratulates himself on having innovated. That doesn't tell me anything.

[PROTOTYPE] said:
So, technically, it IS Windows's fault.

Um, no. It's the fact that it's popular that people write viruses for it. Not the OS's own fault at all.

Sodaholic said:

Um, no. It's the fact that it's popular that people write viruses for it. Not the OS's own fault at all.

Ok. We're settled on that. So ,after all, the OS that you choose depends solely on your needs. Just like I stated initially.

My only thought is that I've seen a few small similarities between Unity/Ubuntu and Metro, and I don't see that as a good thing. My view of Ubuntu has pretty much done a 180 in the past few years. What was once a decent OS is now my personal laughing stock of the Linux world.

I'll stick with my time-tested Xfce desktop on Slackware.

[PROTOTYPE] said:
Let me guess...you got viruses. Well, Mac and Ubuntu are kinda immune to viruses (very few exist for them). So, technically, it IS Windows's fault.

You guessed right.

But in this case it's like blaming your car for running someone over when you were driving at 120mph in a 30mph zone. I can't quite recall how my system got infected but it was likely a result of browsing some insalubrious websites and downloading something that I probably shouldn't have. These things happen.

yukib1t said:

My only thought is that I've seen a few small similarities between Unity/Ubuntu and Metro, and I don't see that as a good thing. My view of Ubuntu has pretty much done a 180 in the past few years. What was once a decent OS is now my personal laughing stock of the Linux world.

I'll stick with my time-tested Xfce desktop on Slackware.

I think Xubuntu is also pretty great, if you don't like the original...

I've tried Ubuntu before but couldn't really get into it. What's the best Linux distro for me? I'm looking for something powerful, lightweight, no fluff or bullshit, and very well polished. I guess something that can run perfect v-sync, any custom resolution (no matter how strange of a resolution it is), since, as a nitpicker, I must have these for my gaming (especially since I use a CRT).

[PROTOTYPE] said:
EDITED to correspond to Sodaholic's hi-quality grammar standards. Happy now? Like I'm a fckin journalist or something...

Heh, don't take what I say about you so seriously, most the time I'm just nitpicking. I don't think you're a bad poster at all, it's just that I'm a very detail-oriented person that, well, nitpicks. A lot. :P

Sodaholic said:

I've tried Ubuntu before but couldn't really get into it. What's the best Linux distro for me? I'm looking for something powerful, lightweight, no fluff or bullshit, and very well polished. I guess something that can run perfect v-sync, any custom resolution (no matter how strange of a resolution it is), since, as a nitpicker, I must have these for my gaming (especially since I use a CRT).

Since you're so nitpicking, Xubuntu is for you. Lightweight and stable, just the way you asked.

EDIT: Linux is NOT for games. Go with Windows or OpenSolaris if you want games.

[PROTOTYPE] said:

There's a catch: If you want a Mac, you can't run anything but Mac OS. At least not without hacks.

I run Windows 7 on my Mac. Apple even kindly supplied software to help me install it. It's easier to install Windows on a Mac than it is on most PCs since Apple provides nice all-in-one driver packages.

I may have OS X installed on my laptop, but I refuse to use it unless I have to. The hacking starts when you want to do something like use a bigger font in the Finder. MS implements those features badly, but Apple doesn't even try.

I haven't used Ubuntu in ages, but I didn't like it any more or less than any other flavour of Linux I've used. I find most user-friendly distros would be perfect for people like my mom who never do anything not supplied in the box, but users have to transition from there to "hacker" because "power-user" stuff is always broken or non-existent.

Aliotroph? said:

What Aliotroph? said...

Sorry dude, I got that wrong. I was misinformed. I corrected the error.