Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
[PROTOTYPE]

Megawads with simplistic level design?

I need some help from you guys. I'm going on a trip next week, and I'm taking my laptop with me. Having no Internet connection there, I need to pack Doom and a set of megawads (preferrably for Vanilla Doom).

Can you guys list for me some megawads that have a more straight-forward level architecture and gameplay? What I mean by that is that megawads such as Eternal Doom are a BIG no-no. I probably won't have a lot of opportunities to use my PS/2 mouse, so i'll be sticking to a keyboard-only configuration most of the time, and getting lost in a level would be the last thing that I need.

Btw, did anybody around here play vile.wad or vilecore.wad? These are good examples of what I need. I had a lot of fun playing them in bed on my netbook.

Thanks in advance.

[PROTOTYPE] said:

Yeah, right... You could have as well told me to play Nazi Auferstehung...

I'll try Community Chest, though.

Its not so much simplistic, but pretty straight forward levels.
There is also Vile.WAD

yellowmadness54 said:

Its not so much simplistic, but pretty straight forward levels.
There is also Vile.WAD

You're not exactly helpful...

EDIT: What's so fun about being an asshole?

walter confalonieri said:

why this thing is here, instead of wads & mods?

Umm, sorry, my bad.

Play Vilecore? I badgered Doom Dude nonstop until he debugged parts of it! Then he decided to do a remake of it. When he started the thing I had a 266 MHz PII. He was still hacking at it as of yesterday. :D

The only other vanilla megawads I played were the Aliens and Star Wars TCs.

I see you liked my meagerwad / Vilecore thing. Well, back when I started that projectile, I didn't have access to the internet and only played a few decent maps that I found on compilation CD's. One of the wads that did get me interested in building Doom maps was Steve Long's Longwad (22 maps) megawad. So check that one out.. as that got me interested in working on what would become Vilecore in the first place. This reminds me of using DoomCad 5.1 and watching that slow nodesbuilder thing... Oo. lol

Aliotroph? said:

Then he decided to do a remake of it.

Indeed, I have V2 to finish, which is taking forever... I'm a slooooowwww level designer most of the time. heh.

Doom Dude said:

What Doom Dude said...

So you're the one who made it. I guess I owe you a big Thank You! I really like how you kept it simple and fun.

Also, thanks everyone for the tips.

Scythe, 10 Sectors and the 1024 series are my recommendations for megawads with short, simple maps. TVR is fairly easy going at least in terms of difficuly too.

walter confalonieri said:

why this thing is here, instead of wads & mods?

I know right, how did [PROTOTYPE] screw up? (no offense to you dude)

Anyways, by simplistic, do you mean one level per WAD, or what?

Wasn't there a megawad which consisted entirely of 64x64 rooms?

NitroactiveStudios said:

I know right, how did [PROTOTYPE] screw up? (no offense to you dude)

No offense my ass.

NitroactiveStudios said:

Anyways, by simplistic, do you mean one level per WAD, or what?

Perhaps I haven't made myself clear.I asked for megawads (12+ levels) that would contain levels with a simpler design. In other words, I don't want the levels to be very complex, otherwise I might get lost, and that would be frustrating.

This is necessary right now as my laptop's input devices are a bit primitive, and it can become frustrating if I get lost in the level.

I detailed my request at the point of near-incoherence. I hope you finally understand my intentions.

GreyGhost said:

If it's simplistic you're looking for, try Big Crappy Shit Megawad (BTW - that isn't what the author named it).

Hey, I asked for simplistic, not retarded.

Seconding BF_THUD; Klie's shitty computer demanded pretty conservative mapping on his part. It's kind of like a proto-1024, at least with the levels exclusive to BF_THUD.