Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
FirebrandX

Looking for old Doom Depot content:

Hi all,

It's been a while since I last checked up on the Doom community. I noticed the Doom Depot web site has since gone down. Unfortunately, I neglected to save my own copy of the Doom 64 team interview I did back in 2003 I believe it was. The interview was published on Doom Depot at the time.

I made my own digital-to-digital transfers of all the Doom music from the PSX games, so I don't need any of that stuff, but I would like to get my hands on a copy of that interview if anyone saved it. Hit me up if you have. Thanks!

Welcome back, my good man!

Unfortunately, the Doom Depot's host, doom2.net, appears to have been taken down with it. Kaiser might be more than happy to help you though...

Lol, I just discovered the archive myself. I was just coming back to post this when Grazza beat me to it. Thanks anyway though! I'm very glad these archives exist!

Very nice interview, great job!

I always enjoyed Doom 64 a lot. But I have a question:

In the interview, it was stated that one of the main limitations in creating the game was the small cart space. However, Doom 64 utilizes some sort of digital, MP3-like music format, which I think is really disk space-consuming.

So, instead of removing some of the cool monsters and features, why didn't the developers just swap the music audio format with a traditional MIDI one?

I'm sure that would have saved a lot of space. After all, the Arch-Vile can' t be THAT big.

Please, someone answer my question. I didn' t feel like making a new thread just for this.

The music actually did use a modified midi format. It was the same on the PSX as well, where the music was stored as very small instrument samples for each track that were then directed to play in pitch and tempo by the source program. I recall extracting the original sample files from the PSX versions and they consisted of 3 or 4 sample files per track.

I'm thinking about hosting a new version of the Depot on my own web site. Although without the TC as Kaiser's EX 2.3 is already far superior and faithful to the original Doom 64.

FirebrandX said:

I'm thinking about hosting a new version of the Depot on my own web site.

I'd suggest you seek Rob's permission before doing so.

FirebrandX said:

Although without the TC as Kaiser's EX 2.3 is already far superior and faithful to the original Doom 64.

I'm not sure "EX is better" is enough of a reason not to rehost the TC.

GreyGhost said:

I'd suggest you seek Rob's permission before doing so.

Only if I wanted to call it the Depot, but he certainly doesn't own content like music tracks (which he had wrong lengths on a few of anyway). I'll be doing entirely my own content with digital transfers and FLAC lossless format.

A different name and all new content, that's a different story. I thought you were just planning to re-host the Depot.