Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
TimeOfDeath

Doomworld Mega Project - /idgames link is up

I remembered most scripts I'd want to do would probably mess up the rest of the maps in the same megawad (like edit imp behavior, then all imps in the rest of the wad have edited behavior too etc). So any script maps might have to be their own separate wad if they're allowed.

Weev says trolling is a healthy way to circumvent societal norms and create social discourse, so I'm glad troll maps will be allowed. Having some non serious maps make others feel more comfortable in not worrying whether their mapping skills are 'good' enough to join. Allowing all maps is perhaps better than 'quality control' purging advocated by self proclaimed quality experts. I like j4rio's map. I don't want anyone to edit my maps, so probably nobody wants me to edit theirs. Of course someone might make a map with a bug that makes it broken/unbeatable, but that can be discussed and if the mapper still wants it intentionally broken for some reason that's his decision. I might not want to play it but its a community project.

Also its cool if you want to call me ggg or urin-breath or whatever; I'm not all narcissistic about my alias unlike some people who simultaneously bold, italicize, underline and capitalize theirs in the 'Currently Active Users' area, but I won't mention any names.

Well, if str1.wad got accepted, then my two hour-ness won't be rejected, right?

Cool screenshot, essel.

cannonball - yep, newbie, veteran, it doesn't matter. As long as you submit a map. :)

ggg - you're talking about just scripts, right? not scripts + decorate? Stuff in scripts should only affect the map it's in, right?

BloodAcid - yep, I won't reject anything.

Bucket said:

This is not how we operate.

Shot down. This actually seems interesting. I might try.

Count me in, I have an idea for a joke/puzzle map that everyone will probably hate me for.

GRB - is that for -complevel 9 too?

GreyGhost said:

Count me in, I have an idea for a joke/puzzle map that everyone will probably hate me for.

That's the spirit!

GreyGhost said:

I have one I'm already working on--I guess I could submit it to this heap of wut. (nah, I think an all inclusive megawad is in the right spirit of things). It could be cool if this thing ended up with a very disparate, diverse range of maps.

I think that this thread will get more posts than this project will get maps, but that said, ToD, I wish you and all the mappers every success with this.

I am always impressed at the sheer variety of projects that crop up on Doomworld, and I think this is the first project where everybody has to contribute.

I would like to do a map for this, but I am such a slow mapper and I am already barely keeping pace on several projects I am already involved in.

But respect for the immensity of scope on this one.

Oh man I would like to join if this would be a project for Doom 1, E1 style is where I'm good at but Doom 2...not really.
:-(

Kyka - even if we all just submit a tiny one-room level that took 5 minutes to make, at least we will all contribute something. :)

omegamer - could you make an E1 style map in doom2? I know some textures are missing from Doom1, but you could use only doom1 monsters?

Kk, I'll probably have my map up within 12 or so hours, depending on how much time I get access the computer to.

If it works, TimeOfDeath will most likely be drafted himself as recruiting officer for the "20 Years of Doom" project.

TimeofDeath-could you make an E1 style map in doom2? I know some textures are missing from Doom1, but you could use only doom1 monsters?

Yeah why not? I'll do one :-)
Do you think of a deadline already?

Cool to see more interest. Only 100 mappers left? 200? 300?

omegamer - definitely at the end of 2012, at the absolute latest.

A "quantity over quality" project like this could probably be done in a month or less, but I want to give people a chance to warm up to the idea and maybe more and more people might submit something as the months go by.

I think everyone prefers quality over quantity, but it would take way too long for everyone to post their "omg serious map"s, considering many people are busy with other projects as well. The point of this project is to get as many people involved as possible.

Please no huge maps! This will end up like CC4.

Anyways, I'm happy to contribute, however, currently I'm focusing on my megawad. Once I leave an "idea" for a map for this project I'll do it.

Besides, this takes a long time! I can wait.