Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
TimeOfDeath

Doomworld Mega Project - /idgames link is up

Since I still only have one map released so far, and that was a tune-up of someone else's, I might as well go balls-out and build something special for this project. I'm calling my map In The Shadow of God and there will be a volcano.

I've gone the other way and borrowed a map idea from the archive but aim to give it more replay value. My map's working title is "The Balls are Inert" which will hopefully make sense when you see the map, provided my scripting skills are up to the task. The map itself is all but done.

glenzinho said:

Great map by PCorf.... this project's looking better every day!

Oh thankyou.

To me it was just a really rushed effort. Lotsa copy and paste and some symmetrical areas. I have fun playing it though!

Fiend, two problems with your map:
* sectors 674-675 shouldn't be tagged I think
* sector 299 needs sky transfer

Memfis said:

Fiend, two problems with your map:
* sectors 674-675 shouldn't be tagged I think
* sector 299 needs sky transfer

Ah, crap. Thought I'd gotten all of the sky transfer problems. Thanks for the feedback.

Deleted the old file and changed the link above.

Would it be tacky to put our names somewhere on the map?
What I mean is, shouldn't each map have the author's signature? It would be neat to see everyone's styles.

Played Mirror.wad on UV. I got 3 of 4 secrets and all monsters killed in 6:06. A nice wad with good detail and gameplay, although it is essentially the same thing twice, just textured differently.

FDA demos for all the maps: DMP-TODfda-Mar22.zip (except str1 since I already posted one)

Cool maps, guys. Some notes:

Pricksv3 - like Phml said, this actually requires boom compatibility. Also, all of the missing textures and flats happen in non-zdoom compatible ports because you can't mix textures and flats (you can't use a flat as a texture, and you can't use a texture as a flat). My demo was actually a TDA since I had to use a newer version of prboom-plus but the key config was old on my first attempt, then I got to the first switch but it wouldn't work in -complevel 2 on my second attempt.

ed_abraxas - It looked like there were 3 unclosed sectors, but I couldn't find them with the DB1 error checker (the error checker bugged out). I punched at them in the demo. The demo is actually a 'second demo attempt'. I had already played up until the red switch at the start but then I got a signal 11 error crash and used a different prboom-plus version.

Blood Lake - glenzinho, you said you wanted a red sky for your map. Could you use the boom sky transfers for that?

TimeOfDeath said:

Blood Lake - glenzinho, you said you wanted a red sky for your map. Could you use the boom sky transfers for that?

I'm new at mapping for ports... can you point me to where one would go about doing this? Also, will this break vanilla compatibility?

You have to give a linedef's upper texture the texture you want to be the sky (like the red sky for example), give the linedef action 271 and the tag of the sky sector. Use multiple lines with action 271 for each sky with a different sector tag.

I don't *think* the sky transfer will break vanilla compatibility (other than the sky transfer not working). But since this project is separated into different formats, it's up to you if you want your wad added to the boom wads or the vanilla wads.

TimeOfDeath: It doesn't have to be a red sky. I'll be happy as long as it doesn't have the city sky, won't suit the level at all :)

Everything in the level is vanilla compatible so I don't want to add Boom stuff just for the sake of the sky graphic.

11 maps, already? Hey, that's kind be of cool!
Anyway, on my map i add few more details and searching to balance monster count and ammo\health....

Yay, 11 maps! I'm going to add fixed and enhanced Mirror version soon.
EDIT: Here it is.
https://rapidshare.com/files/2543255648/MIRROR.wad
Changes:
- fixed Arch-Vile room bug.
- fixed rising doortracks.
- added one combined secret.

I played through three of the maps now.
Blood lake - simple, but that's okay. The bigger problem is that I hit the first switch and nothing sensible happened. Also, your mancubus is stuck in a wall.
Bean - Cool music and details, but with texture misalignments. Difficulty level is demanding (or is it? Some people even played through Slaughterfest 2011 after all, so...), but satysfieing.
ed_abraxas - umm... hmm... unique style, that's sure. Would be good as a bonus level. Just fix the leaking sectors in blood/zimmer walkway.
mappingWhileHighOnMountainDew - the most bizarre stuff I've seen. (But maybe I haven't seen really much)
Edit 2: oh wait, that's acually four maps :)

mappingwhilehighonmountaindew- WTF is this?!?! My computer froze up so badly after I hit the switch I had to shut it down. Nice idea but Jesus Christ it's worse than NUTS.wad.

Krispy said:

mappingwhilehighonmountaindew- My computer froze up so badly after I hit the switch I had to shut it down.

That's weird, my computer is many years old, just an 'average' computer I guess and it plays at a totally normal framerate the whole time. I played it on windows xp in prboom+ 2.5.0.8 (probably any prboom+ would work).
I seem to remember doing a 'virtual memory' speed tweak (I forget exactly, google that and try it maybe, just editing a number somewhere in xp's maze of options). Also when I install windows I get rid of lots of startup crap by typing 'msconfig' in start/run and getting rid of lots of useless bloat services/startup that every driver creator/etc spams your computer with. So maybe that could be why its fast for me, or who knows. Maybe your computer is extremly old.
Or maybe my 'optiplex sx270' is some sort of magic doom-optimized computer.

Maybe it's my computer. I have an optiplex 755 and a gt520 graphics card. Not the best, but it works fine on most games.

here we go a 2nd version of my map, hope it could be better:

http://www.mediafire.com/?wyh7gnc5eb4ur5o

Changelog (for fuck's sake):

[1]added many more monsters from 1st version (since this was the biggest thing you people criticized on it) from 25 monsters to 86 medium\hard monsters... you want it and you've got it!

[2]added more detail (always in classic e3 style) and also added 3 secret rooms and few trap rooms... The table in the marble lybrary room (the one above the cyberdemon throne) got some eye-candy in it (actually books)

[3]added DM starts and guns (untested)

[4]since we can, i've added also added a midi from TNT, you know the classic map31 music...

told me what do you think bye

Krispy said:

Maybe it's my computer. I have an optiplex 755 and a gt520 graphics card. Not the best, but it works fine on most games.

You should mention your port and the settings used. That's far more relevant than your specs are.

edit: Although gggmork's computer IS super-optimized for Doom. I remember that his map30 for Claustrophobia 2 ran much better for him than anyone else. :P

Krispy said:

mappingwhilehighonmountaindew- WTF is this?!?! My computer froze up so badly after I hit the switch I had to shut it down. Nice idea but Jesus Christ it's worse than NUTS.wad.

Same thing happened to me... whatever, nice map gggmork!

also, i've played to trollfort of fiend, and i must admit is a cool map!

Seconded Walter, trollfort is awesome! Probably the best so far.... BTW TimeofDeath, when are we gonna see your map?

gggmork - WTF do you put in your Mountain Dew?

Jodwin said:

You should mention your port and the settings used. That's far more relevant than your specs are.

I was using Skulltag. I do admit that it was a pretty impressive map.

gggmork said:

While making this map I drank like 4 cans of the soft kill poison called mountain dew a day. It was kind of like the 'science' experiment of feeding a spider PCP to see what kind of a web it would build and mostly only green textures 'made sense'.
http://speedy.sh/YgYDR/mappingWhileHighOnMountainDew.wad
boom, doom2, map24 (forgot to change to map01 oops)

Crashed my Skulltag when hitting the switch too.