Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Rohit_N

Wasteland 2 Kickstarter

I'm watching a "Let's Play" of the first one here. The guy did an interesting take and narrates the whole game. It does get a bit long-winded, but otherwise it's fascinating.

Played the original long ago, after my older siblings were done with it. I still have their old notes and stuff somewhere. It was the first game that I can recall that gave me nightmares. I want to be excited for the new one, but so far I'm not feeling it.

Wasteland is the spiritual precursor to the original Fallouts. Definitely interested in this.

I'm a little more jazzed after reading about it a little more. I'll see how things are going next month then throw them a grand or two. Wasteland is truly one of the best rpgs of all time, but if they can capture that uniqueness in this day and age is yet to be seen.

Never played Wasteland but the original cover looks very bad ass. Post-Apocalyptic games always gets my attention!

Look forward learning more about the sequel.

MRB_Doom said:

Never played Wasteland but the original cover looks very bad ass.

Yes, the cover is one of the best I've ever seen, need to put that on a T-shirt.

It's not a coincidence that the project was posted this week onto kickstarter. After what doublefine did with their project, Tim Schafer was a rock star at GDC and now everyone in game development is talking about kickstarter to free themselves of publishers and make the games that they want to make. This is exactly the kind of thing a lot of you guys who hate where new games have gone want, but it remains to be seen whether or not this trend will stick with the consumers. Gamers are not always a very patient breed, and if these first few very high profile kickstarters don't end up producing by their deadlines we could see a downturn in funding.

I am definitely hoping it leads to more transparency and community involvement though. This is without a doubt an awesome thing. It allows more risk (in terms of innovative gameplay) to be introduced into the equation and for a well funded project allows risk to be completely nullified, as everything has already been paid for by the consumer.

Shaikoten said:

Gamers are not always a very patient breed, and if these first few very high profile kickstarters don't end up producing by their deadlines we could see a downturn in funding.

There's also a problem with possibly over-saturating Kickstarter with projects. It's easy to get a lot of people who may or may not be interested to pledge in a big project when there's only one of those, but once there's, say, ten simultaneous projects all that money will be split. It'll probably also discourage some people when they see too many projects to choose from.

Maybe John should take advantage of this new business model. I'm sure if he advertised his success with Daikatana, he'll soon be swimming in donations.

Already donated $50. Hopefully, this will permanently cut out the publishers in the equation of game development.

Mr. Freeze said:

Already donated $50. Hopefully, this will permanently cut out the publishers in the equation of game development.

Not going to happen. The only reason Wasteland and Double Fine even have any chances of being successful kickstarters is because the games, or their crews, have a long lasting legacy and following. A new amateur developer could never raise large amounts of money this way.

Plus, I doubt most people would be ready to pay for all of their games with the model "I'll pay NOW and play two years later!"

Holy shit they're close to the $900,000 mark within a day and a half. They still have 28 or so days left. Shows that there's still a market for an isometic RPG.

Jodwin said:

Plus, I doubt most people would be ready to pay for all of their games with the model "I'll pay NOW and play two years later!"

Well, that worked for Minecraft.

Razen said:

Well, that worked for Minecraft.

Minecraft was still playable even before 1.0 was officially released. Plus do you think that for example EA's sports games could be funded this way? Or the next CoD installment?

Yeah.

Jodwin said:

Isnt the point of kickstarter to raise funds to produce X, not buy X? Ie the donators have to purchase the game later?

Planky said:

Isnt the point of kickstarter to raise funds to produce X, not buy X? Ie the donators have to purchase the game later?

Wrong. Although you can choose not to get a reward upon donating, the usual reward is "Donate this much, get game for free upon release". Donate more, get more.