Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
hardcore_gamer

Anyone else still plays a bit of Super Mario 64 every now and then?

Super Mario 64 was the first 3D platformer I ever played and also the best one in my opinion.

Its so good in fact that I still play it every now and then.

One of the key reasons for why I love it so much (and hate the newer games) is that it feels like such a perfect mix of what makes both 3D and 2D platformers good. The newer games feel too "modern" somehow, not to mention bland and soulless, like the creators lost their magic somehow and just started to make really good "products" instead of really good games. I know lots of people no doubt don't agree with that, but in any case Super Mario 64 is the only 3D mario game I actually liked.

Anyone else still plays it every now and then whether its on a old N64 or via emulator?

Not anymore, but I still play Super Mario 64 DS every now and then! The Picture Poker minigame is really addictive :D

There's a pretty neat hack for SM64 called "Star Road". If you'd like to play the game again but with new levels, you should check it out.

Yeah. I got a Logitech controller and an N64 emulator and that's pretty much all I need to re-live the finest days of gaming.

I just hook up my PC to a CRT television and I'm ready to roll...

Ahhh... Christmas 1996. This was my first console game.

Mario 64 is still a game I can pick up and play and have fun. It's also one of the few N64 games I've beaten to the point where I could probably get all the stars in sitting, provided I had the time. I don't know how I did it, but I achieved expert in Star Fox. It's going to be a sad day when the memory battery dies.

I need to pick up a better controller for N64 emulation.

I got all of the stars in both the original and DS port multiple times. I think I even did a semi-challenge run in the DS version back when I still played it, but I don't remember the specifics.

Technician said:

Ahhh... Christmas 1996. This was my first console game.

Mario 64 is still a game I can pick up and play and have fun. It's also one of the few N64 games I've beaten to the point where I could probably get all the stars in sitting, provided I had the time. I don't know how I did it, but I achieved expert in Star Fox. It's going to be a sad day when the memory battery dies.

I need to pick up a better controller for N64 emulation.

DW, carts haven't used batteries since the NES days ;-)

Mr. T said:

DW, carts haven't used batteries since the NES days ;-)

Not true; EEPROM or other non-volatile RAM that doesn't require a constant power source didn't become practically cheap until very recently; every N64 game with save support has a battery in the cart. Even some GBA games had batteries.

Yeah I still play it from time to time. It was actually the first game I ever remember playing.

Avoozl said:

I wonder if people are playing Super Mario Sunshine anymore. :P

I never got to finish that game. :(

DoomUK said:

No. Legendary game though.

Was Sunshine any good? I never played it but watching Mario run around with that big water gun thing of his made me cringe.

I've never stopped playing this game and I probably never will. It's one of the few games that I can play time and time again and still have it feel fun and new to me. I have a file saved on my cartridge where I achieved all 120 stars, and that's a feat that I, to this day, have not been able to replicate. So now, I just keep going back and trying to duplicate it.

I will achieve this once more, damn it!

hardcore_gamer said:

Was Sunshine any good? I never played it but watching Mario run around with that big water gun thing of his made me cringe.

It's actually a pretty fun game if you can get past the terrible voice acting. I'm glad Nintendo dropped that with the SMG series ... at least, partially (I still think Peach talks).

I got to play the game a few times, but I would mostly have to watch. I got to play the DS version of the game, but not much of it. I really wish I owned the game, but I have some Wii Points that might be enough to get it at the Wii Shop.