Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Foodles

teleporting lift event

I'm trying to make an event in this map, where the player steps on a lift which starts to move down, now about halfway down the lift the player is silently teleported to a new sector, identical to the lift sector so it appears as if the player has moved underneath the map. Is this possible to do in prboom+ ?

For PrBoom: only when the player on the moving lift steps over a silent teleporter line. With the player just standing motionless on a moving lift, I don't think it's possible.

If you're after a room-over-room effect, you can take a look at Iikka Keranen's vanilla Doom 3D trick. To see the effect in-game, it's used for the Quake remade secret level in Requiem.

This trick can be adapted to Boom by replacing the self-referencing sectors with '242' flat property transfer triggers, which makes it not only cleaner (eg. no need for extending the control lines into the adjacent hallways) but also much easier to setup.

Mind you, it's purely visual unless you want to mess with either moving invisible platforms (vanilla doom+), 3DMidTex lines (Eternity) or bridge things (ZDoom).

Your best bet is to have a silent teleport linedef in the corridor leading to the lift. ;)

Otherwise, the only things I can think of involves ACS or sector actions. I mean, you can have in Boom events that are triggered at various intervals during an elevator ride if you use a properly calibrated voodoo doll conveyor belt; but if you make the doll teleport, it's the doll that moves. Not the actual player.

Gez said:

Your best bet is to have a silent teleport linedef in the corridor leading to the lift. ;)

^ this.

Also (if possible) make the preceding hallway so that monsters wont be visible in it, and from the elevator itself. That way the player if entering backwards etc wont have monsters or other items vanish in front of them.

Although... it does seem you can 'kinda' do it using a combination of 210 (SR-silent teleport) and the elevator lower/higher types. You need to stack the linedefs and set them as 'pass through' so they all activate together (otherwise there is a chance the player might only activate one of the actions, not all).

But overall the effect is not very seamless visually as the teleport function goes to a specific thing coordinate as opposed to a sector to sector or line to line type of teleport. It wont work in a coop situation at all (whereas the corridor option does) and the player can break the sequence because whilst the elevator linedef types will only work when the sector is stationary the teleport linedef type would always function so the player could quickly re-teleport back into the 'lift to nowhere'.

http://www.mediafire.com/?tanr5d7ojpenr0a

ah well. was interesting to try... ;o)

What Gez said.

It's possible to do the vertial-teleport lift trick in Eternity, but last time I played with it I found the player's teleport ride was not sufficiently smooth and it broke the illusion.

sadly in this instance its not possible for me to employ gez's suggestion as the lift is completely surrounded by open area. I have decided to go for a teleporter instead which means I can't achieve the effect I was going for but that can't be helped. Thanks for clearing this up for me.

Could you post a screenshot? What about surrounding all the sides of the lift except one with impassible lines and make the starting height of the lift lower, so that you have to walk into the lift and down a bit of a hole, while you're falling you walk over a silent teleporter?

TimeOfDeath said:

Could you post a screenshot? What about surrounding all the sides of the lift except one with impassible lines and make the starting height of the lift lower, so that you have to walk into the lift and down a bit of a hole, while you're falling you walk over a silent teleporter?

MAP06 of UAC Ultra ends with a trick like this, though I stick the player in a Scythe death exit instead of continuing the map.

The problem I can imagine you'd face is that if you enter the teleporter with monsters behind they will magically just stop making noise and disappear.