• More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Sign in to follow this  
DooMBoy

Doom2.exe demos

How do you watch "vanilla" demos?  

1. 1. How do you watch "vanilla" demos?

• The original exes (Doom2.exe or Doom.exe)
    • PrBoom (or GLBoom)
    • Zdoom or Legacy - the player always punches walls and dies lolz0rz! These guys suck!!
    • I never watch demos.

How do you watch Doom2.exe demos: with the original exes or using PrBoom?

I don't usually watch demos. I'm here to play, not watch.

On the occasions that I have felt like watching a demo, I've used a PrBoom. But if I were to really get into demo watching, I'd probably try to get the original .exe's working. (I have WinXP)

doom2.exe -- I always want to see the demo how they really are... unfortunately, I cannot do that with Quake anymore.
some demos are worth re-watching with Prboom though... especially dm demos or sp demos with big action.

Um...I view all my demos on Eternity because it can synch any demo up to the engine. Or something. All I know is that it works.

Ichor: you're no fun :P

I myself like recording, and watching demos, with the original exe, for any game (Doom(2), Plutonia, TNT, Heretic, or Hexen).

Well, I have made demos before to include in some of my old wadfiles, but other than that, I don't much of a need for making demos.

I love recording demos. Just a few minutes ago, for fun and profit, I did a Heretic E2M2 Nightmare demo. It was close to a minute, I'm sure.

doom2.exe of couse, but prboom is also nice (for dm demos it is more great than doom2.exe cause of the features).

Heh, I am a sucky speedrunner.

Ichor said:

Well, I have made demos before to include in some of my old wadfiles, but other than that, I don't much of a need for making demos.

Yeah. Demos are pretty lame. Not really much use for them. I did enjoy watching that one speedrun done by Erik Alm on one of my speedmaps though. It was cool.

I use doom. Actually, it even has a small advantage; you can go to the desktop and in the meantime the demo stops... if you do that with prboom is plays on while you're doing whatever.

Torn said:
doom2.exe of couse, but prboom is also nice (for dm demos it is more great than doom2.exe cause of the features).

I think it's better for single player than multi-player because on multi-player you can hear 3rd-person pick up sounds... a feature that first appeared in boom. So, you're not hearing what the players were hearing when they recorded (unless they actually used prboom to record.)

The only really attractive feature prboom might have is that it shows the proper skies when playing back a long movie. The ability to fully change player view is fine, but I'd rather watch the demo from all perspectives than hop from player to player.

myk said:

I use doom. Actually, it even has a small advantage; you can go to the desktop and in the meantime the demo stops... if you do that with prboom is plays on while you're doing whatever.

You can pause demo playback in PrBoom (by pressing the Pause button).

Grazza said:
You can pause demo playback in PrBoom (by pressing the Pause button).

Hmm... cool, I hadn't noticed that. I had forgotten that with mus_pause_opt set to 2 (required if you use timidity) pause is remapped, so each time I pressed the Pause key nothing happened...

Despite the fact that I play on Zdaemon only for Doom online gaming, however only doom2.exe demos are worth to watch.