Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Gez

Eternity CS branch thread

The latest CS feature (r1959) is hilarious. :)

But how would it work in the non-Doom games that Eternity will, one day, finally support? I suppose it could be random maulotaurs in Heretic and maybe Hexen too, but for Strife? Hacx? Chex Quest?

What does the latest CS feature do? Even if I can look for it myself, it would be best that everyone knows what this thread is about.

You don't know about CIA? It's a great service to look at commits.

Doom64 EX
Eternity
GZDoom
PrBoom(+)
PyDoom
ReMooD
Slade
ZDoom

It's not exhaustive, though. Apparently, there are no profiles for Vavoom, Doomsday or Doom Legacy; the one for Doom Builder is very outdated and does not correspond to Doom Builder 2, etc. I suppose they could be created by anyone who cares to.

Anyway, I used to use it to see what was happening on the PrBoom+ front; but since Manc removed WebSVN, I also use it to check up on the EE, SLADE and to quickly check if there had been Graf-commits on GZDoom.

Haha, thanks Gez.

In the serverside configuration you set the rate at which cyberdemons may be spawned, as well as a limit on how many will ever be spawned on that map.

It could be more configurable, as in how many random cyberdemons there should be on the map at any given time, or if the random thing spawned should be a cyberdemon at all.

But for gamemode-specific stuff it probably has to be specified per-IWAD. EE has the gameinfo system, probably the best thing to do is to add a "hardest monster" field to it.

Shouldn't the monster species be ultimately configurable via EDF, like everything else?

Looking at r1970, I think it should be pointed out that ZDoom doesn't actually use the SNDCURVE lump unless it is required by a custom rolloff.

I think that precision was needed since the code refers to using SNDCURVE as being the "ZDoom method" rather than more accurately the Raven Software method.

Yeah I think I should say something about my work relative to trunk EE work.

My focus has been and likely always will be the competitive Doom community. By comparison, I know practically nothing about non-Doom game modes, Dehacked, ACS, etc. My interest in "ZDoom's SNDCURVE lump handling" is strictly that you can hear way more stuff when it's enabled, and that's a huge competitive change.

Additionally I'm not as skilled or knowledgeable as Quasar and SoM. Therefore I generally follow a policy of "commit to c/s branch, playtest/debug/fix, port to trunk", and I rely on players, modders and developers far more knowledgeable than I about singleplayer to help me avoid messing everything up.

To address specific concerns:

printz: yeah you are right I think, but I am not sure how to do that with EDF.

Gez: yeah I actually knew that because I got my info about the SNDCURVE lump from the excellent ZDoom wiki. I haven't looked into it that much, besides accounting for different SNDCURVE lump sizes (Heretic's is 1600, Hexen's is 2025 (40x40 vs. 45x45)), but it's definitely something we'll have to work out for Heretic & Hexen support going forward.

Thanks for all the interest in c/s branch, we're excited too :) . At this stage it is playable, and although we're not really comfortable even calling it an alpha yet, we would very much like any comments and testing results you guys can give us. Installation is easy (http://www.totaltrash.org/eternity/download.html - YOU MUST USE THE INSTALLER THE 1st TIME) and joining a server is as easy as clicking a link at http://master.totaltrash.org. We also have a bug tracker at http://bugs.totaltrash.org.

The c/s branch installer registers a protocol handler for the eternity: protocol. That's how it knows what to do with the links on the master (eternity://master.totaltrash.org/servers/totaltrash/ctf).

It's not strictly required. For example, you can do any one of these things:

eternity.exe -csjoin eternity://master.totaltrash.org/servers/totaltrash/ctf
eternity.exe -csjoin http://master.totaltrash.org/servers/totaltrash/ctf
eternity.exe -csjoin ftp://master.totaltrash.org/servers/totaltrash/ctf
eternity.exe -csjoin file://C:/servers/ctf.json
The command-line parsing will check the passed URL, so that if it's passed a demo it will retrieve and play it. This allows us to play a demo just from clicking on a link like:
eternity://demos.totaltrash.org/omg_cyberdemons_spawning_everywhere.ecd
We're also pretty dissatisfied with having to use an installer (even if it is easy, convenient, and downloads Freedoom for you if you want it to :) ). We plan to write a Doomseeker plugin and probably bundle Doomseeker... I believe this is what Skulltag does.