Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
45th Parrallel

Games with editors like dooms?

The title pretty much explains it, but are there any games that are alike to Dooms? The only one that I know that is close is the Build editor.

To be precise, Doom never had an "official" editor that went with it: all Doom editors are third-party hobbyist products produced by reverse engineering and guesstimates, and perfected through time and use.

DoomED doesn't count because a) it was never released and b) even if it was released now it would be long past due, since it was never part of the official package, and it would be de-facto obsolete.

On the converse, DN3 and Descent, as well as Half Life engine all came with their own official editors (I think). Two completely uncomparable situations.

The Build editor that came with DN3D was pretty easy to use if you could find the proper documentation. I liked it so much that I preferred making Duke levels instead of Doom levels for years. When CodeImp first came out with Doom Builder, I kept harassing him to add more Build editor features. Happily, he did.

Dragonsbrethren said:

Dark Forces. Never tried an editor for it, but I know they exist.

Nothing official; however the maps are stored as text lumps in the Dark Forces archives (.gob files), so reverse-engineering was super-easy.

Maes said:

On the converse, DN3 and Descent, as well as Half Life engine all came with their own official editors (I think). Two completely uncomparable situations.

With HL, sort of. WorldCraft (now Hammer) was a modified Quake map editor (much like HL was a heavily modified Quake engine). If I remember right, the WorldCraft that came on my HL GOTY CD back in 98' could have been used for Quake as well with the right config files. Probably would have been better off with QuArK or GTKRadiant (which was id's editor, btw, and should have been on your list ;D)

Both Serious Sam: The First/Second Encounter and Serious Sam 3 shipped with the level editor. The editors for Serious Sam 2 and Serious Sam HD: The Second Encounter were added with patches The only Croteam-produced game that doesn't have an editor is HD: The First Encounter, but the HD: TSE editor can access and use TFE content if you have both games.

Carnevil said:

Wrack's editor is pretty similar to Doom Builder.

How come? Isn't Wrack true 3d? Or does its editor let you abstractly draw rooms like you would in Doom, and they're later synthesized into brushes or what primitives you're using there?

Danarchy said:

The Build editor that came with DN3D was pretty easy to use if you could find the proper documentation. I liked it so much that I preferred making Duke levels instead of Doom levels for years. When CodeImp first came out with Doom Builder, I kept harassing him to add more Build editor features. Happily, he did.

Build is what first brought me to the modding scene even though I haven't released or finished any of my maps, the only thing that I didnt like about was that it wasnt user friendly enough

Maes is correct with Half-Life. VALVe released Source SDK and 'Gold Source' SDK for the Quake engine since it's classic Half-Life.

I've been using Source for 2 years and it's by far the most frustrating but yet very simple editor. Nice change from UnrealED Actually.

I can't wrap my mind around the subtractive editing of Unreal's engine. Brush editing in Quake family games is much more straightforward.

printz said:

How come? Isn't Wrack true 3d? Or does its editor let you abstractly draw rooms like you would in Doom, and they're later synthesized into brushes or what primitives you're using there?

Yeah, I'm curious about this too.

printz said:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=h6P09G7rCBY

Rough version of the first tutorial. I'm going to redo it. But that should give you the basic idea of how it works.

Docs are better than vids, even when the vids are polished.

Now I'm wondering why I haven't seen an editor that used a scheme like that before. It looks nice to work with.

Yeah, the editor looks like it works really well. I was afraid it would still be using a single viewport like Doombuilder, but the way it's set up makes it look easier to use than a brush-based editor.

Wow, it looks like the best of both worlds between brush based and sector based editing. I'm actually excited for this now!

excite bike

I think micro machines 2 by code master (the one with spider as a character), fun challenging simple game btw. Editor might have only edited graphics, I forget, but I remember I made cars into ladybugs or something dumb.

gggmork said:

I think micro machines 2 by code master (the one with spider as a character), fun challenging simple game btw. Editor might have only edited graphics, I forget, but I remember I made cars into ladybugs or something dumb.

You could make your own tracks from tilesets and edit car graphics pixel by pixel.

Doom Dude said:

The Wrack editor looks like something I want to mess with. :)

Indeed.

To bad that the actual game looks highly generic and boring though. It looks like some kind of a dull cell shaded mix between Borderlands and Quake 2.

Wolfenstein editors - FloEdit and ChaosEdit - definitely needs to be listed. Extreme simplicity and nice possiblities - I made over 200 levels, unfortunately all the best of them are lost :/

Those editors are even easier to use than Doom's, but the results are less accomplishing as well. Wolf's editors are no different to those of other tile-based games, such as Supaplex (which is even simpler).

printz said:

Those editors are even easier to use than Doom's, but the results are less accomplishing as well. Wolf's editors are no different to those of other tile-based games, such as Supaplex (which is even simpler).

I honestly don't get it why anyone would be interested in using the Wold3D engine at this point. Its not like the Doom engine is hard to use or very complex, and yet it still allows a much greater level of control then the Wolf3D engine.

Just how many different types of levels can you make with the Wolf3D engine anyways? Aren't all of the levels basically the same kind of textureless mazes?

Because Wolf3d is fun to play, duh. Of course, not everyone likes Wolf3d.

I mean, why choose Doom over the more free-form true 3d games come after it? Not because it's fun to play?