Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Sign in to follow this  
Blastfrog

New moster projectiles

Wow, you've been on a roll lately.

But don't these look a bit too similar to the originals?...

HavoX said:

Wow, you've been on a roll lately.

Thanks.

HavoX said:

But don't these look a bit too similar to the originals?...

Eh, I'm not really sure. These were made from scratch for the most part, the only thing I used as a base was the BAL1 sprites from Freedoom.

To make BAL1 A and B, I recolored it red, and then overlayed a blurry yellowish blob in the rough center, and then added noise.

To make BAL2 A and B, I took my finished BAL1 sprite, screwed around with it a bit, and added jaggy purple outlines to it.

My version of BAL1 is much smoother than the official Doom ones, and my version of BAL2 has slightly different coloration.

fraggle said:

I for one would prefer if they were more distinctly different from the Doom sprites.

Okay, then. When I get home, I'll recolor them and resubmit them. I'll try to make BAL1 yellow again but still as detailed (and do some slight enhancements on the explosion sprites), and I'll make BAL2 kinda blue and green, or something like that.

Another update. Version 3 is identical, except the explosion frames for both projectiles have been replaced and improved over version 2.

Doom on the left, version 3 on the right.

Sufficiently different to commit?

RjY said:

I would think so, considering that I did use Freedoom's already existing BAL1 sprites as a base for both of them.

Plus, the yellow globe fizzle sprite has a left-over chunk on the right which makes it look uneven and asymmetric.

Are there any engines besides DoomLegacy that do special missile transparency ??
DoomLegacy does it by rendering the colors used at the edges of fire and missile projectiles as transparent (transparency tables created from the Doom2 missiles), but rendering the stronger colors as solid.
I expect radical changes in the colors used in missiles to break this effect.
How many engines will be affected by this ??

Could you be a bit specific as to what was objectionable in the previous version and what difference the change makes. Anything beyond your personal asthetic ??

wesleyjohnson said:

How many engines will be affected by this ??

Could you be a bit specific as to what was objectionable in the previous version and what difference the change makes. Anything beyond your personal asthetic ??

Most engines just use regular old partial transparency. Some engines use normal blending, others use additive. Legacy is the exception, and shouldn't really concern us, given that it's an outdated engine that not many people use anymore, and that it's shitty "fancy" transparency effects break the visual appearance of many, many more WADs than just Freedoom.

As for why these should replace the existing sprites, did you even look at the originals before asking that? BAL2 is clearly just some spray paint tool mspaint garbage, and if anyone thinks it looks any good, they are in desperate need for eye surgery. BAL1 on the other hand, isn't terrible, but it used a small amount of shades and honestly isn't up to par with the rest of the graphics. Seriously, just open version 3's WAD in an editor, and then open Freedoom, compare my version and the existing ones.

I only submit things to Freedoom when I feel that the originals downright suck, and that my contributions will be an actual improvement.

wesleyjohnson said:

Are there any engines besides DoomLegacy that do special missile transparency ?

Plenty, but none that use Legacy's method.

If you like the results it provide, you should think about a way to generate the translucency tables on-the-fly at load-time, based on the pixel information from the projectile sprites.

RjY said:

Doom on the left, version 3 on the right.

thanks for making that gif, the new projectile looks pretty good IMO

Do you go into every project by bad-mouthing other peoples work ??
Do you measure the worth of you contributions by how much you can degrade the efforts of others ?

wesleyjohnson said:

Do you go into every project by bad-mouthing other peoples work ??
Do you measure the worth of you contributions by how much you can degrade the efforts of others ?

Umm, is this directed at me? :| If so, I'll address both points.

1. Do I go into every project "badmouthing" other people's work?

I do criticize things, but not without reason. I always try to remain constructive in criticism when it comes to salvageable resources (nothing is perfect, there's always something that can be improved). As for resources that I don't believe can be salvaged into anything good, I don't bother being constructively critical, as there's no way it can be improved, and I feel that it's self evident as to why it needs to be replaced (the obvious placeholder BAL2 sprites come to mind).

2. Do I measure the worth of my contributions by how much I can degrade others' efforts?

Not at all. I'm not trying to "degrade" others' work, I'm trying to improve it. If I see a flaw in something, I'll edit it to fix the flaw and submit my improvements. For example, the BAL1 sprite wasn't downright terrible, but it had a low amount of shades, and could do with some polishing. It's still the same sprite it was before, but now polished.

There's a big difference between constructive criticism and needless bashing.