Find results in...
Orchid87

Vanilla Quake 2: OpenGL vs Software

Better renderer for the vanilla Quake 2  

25 members have voted

1. 1. Better renderer for the vanilla Quake 2

• Software
    • GL

To get the shadows on.. set gl_shadows "1". They also all face the same direction/angle, and even luminous objects like the laser bolts have shadows.

Graf Zahl said:

What size are the skin textures?

My guess would be something not a power of two but since at the time of the game's release this couldn't work because no hardware supported it, so they probably scaled them down to the nearest size the hardware supported. Of course it looks like crap.

You'll get similar artifacts if you use Doom GL ports on ancient hardware, although all GL ports I know of can support non power of two textures now so on modern hardware it won't show.

Yeah, that's what happens with Q2.

UPD: Yeah, gl_round_down works for me, thanks guys! But too much colored lighting is still a problem.

I'd take a minor reduction is texture resolution for the improved and colourful lighting in GL mode.

Quake 2 Evolved is the best way to play the game on a modern system though.

Please note that that pic is leeched from my old, abandoned home page.

My Lanczos renderer page has English version since forever: http://chebmaster.com/q2facelift/index.html

Please not that it is abandoned, as I compiled the renderer using Turbo Delphi, which is tied to one of my derelict desktops I am not using (because I lost the eternal key so I am limited to one already installed copy of that product). I also fixed a major bug in Quake II for Delphi project, but no one cares :(

It *does* work with the Steam version of Q2, though. Except a few annoying bugs, like corrupt sky at the space station.

The main feature of my renderer is using lanczos filtering to pre-upsample textures. That is the best filtering method for low-res images.

samoreklama2.jpg

P.S. I had tried registering here years ago, but the forums were refusing my email address at the time. Very aggravating. I also couldn't present my work to the community because of that.

Edited by chebmaster : my home page domain name changed

I never play vanilla Quake 2 anyway, but on the whole, I prefer OpenGL. It may be blasphemous to say, but I actually prefer the smoothness OpenGL provides. But yeah, I always run with a source port and add all kinds of fancy particle effects and whatnot, so maybe I'm not the guy to ask about this.

I actually like Quake 2 Berserker but the guy is still updating it it seems and the real problem is no hi-res models, he hasn't worked on the expansions yet however but I don't think he will sadly and I'm tired of the main game.