Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
DeathevokatioN

Child forced to marry her rapist

16 year-old Amina Filali -- raped, beaten and forced to wed her rapist -- killed herself because Morocco’s penal code allows a rapist to marry his underage victim.

http://www.avaaz.org/en/forced_to_marry_her_rapist_b/?cl=1672840850&v=13341

Holy shit, this is very disturbing, what the hell kind of backward law would let this happen? Anyway, I think we should sign this petition on the website.

DeathevokatioN said:

http://www.avaaz.org/en/forced_to_marry_her_rapist_b/?cl=1672840850&v=13341

Holy shit, this is very disturbing, what the hell kind of backward law would let this happen? Anyway, I think we should sign this petition on the website.

The bible makes it very clear what steps should be taken if someone were to de-flower your daughter. Islam's society is based around their doctrine, strictly, so the answer is obvious. Also, no petition in the world will change these Muslims.

Once the republicans finally conquer women's rights, I'm confident we'll be having this discussion closer to home.

The website said:

Morocco’s penal code allows a rapist to avoid prosecution and a long prison sentence by marrying his victim if she is a minor.

I just don't see how this is a "backwards" law. It's probably part of their culture, you know. Who are we to say that someone from a foreign country cannot rape a young girl, then avoid a terrible prison sentence by forcing her to marry him? It says right in the Quran it's okay.

Krispy said:

It's probably part of their culture, you know.

Some ancient cultures practiced human sacrifice on a very frequent basis. But hey, it's part of their culture, so that makes it okay!

If the girl has entered Hell now that she killed herself, I sincerely hope that Satan will grant her a crude revenge from the Hell dimension.

Sodaholic said:

Some ancient cultures practiced human sacrifice on a very frequent basis. But hey, it's part of their culture, so that makes it okay!

sarcasm detector needs fixing

It's not that it's okay. The problem is that you can't force another culture to obey to yours without serious consequences (and don't tell me it can work anyway).

They'll have to fix this problem themselves (if they see it that way in the future).

Interesting. You know what, we had a similar old law called avenimiento (something like "reconciliation" or "bringing together") here until the other day. The incident that got it nuked (referred to in the link) was even more dramatic, since the rapist and his lawyers convinced her to marry him, which the judges allowed even when some counsel said she was not acting freely, and then a few days after he was freed and they got together he murdered her in front of his own mother and their child. It was even in the news before the murder because some media denounced the law and that some judges were applying it, so one day you read that they were allowing that sort of legislation and shorty after... the grisly results.

myk said:

What?

The law was created in 1999

Just... what?

I could vaguely understand if that was a law from three centuries ago that had been forgotten about; but a creation made on the eve of the 20th century?

What?

Speaking about Argentine issues, I just heard that all book imports have been banned just this year. Is that true? What could be the rational for banning imported books? It seems like an attempt at censorship and media control thinly disguised as protectionism. Not that it has much chance to work, what with the Internet.

MRB_Doom said:

If the girl has entered Hell now that she killed herself, I sincerely hope that Satan will grant her a crude revenge from the Hell dimension.

No, Doomguy f**ked up that joint. She'd be partying on alone.

Why would Morocco allow such a bad thing like that? I personally think they should ban this and I know there's a petetion to try to stop this, and I'm hoping it works.

Also, I wonder how Morocco Mole would feel about this law?

Krispy said:

I just don't see how this is a "backwards" law. It's probably part of their culture, you know. Who are we to say that someone from a foreign country cannot rape a young girl, then avoid a terrible prison sentence by forcing her to marry him? It says right in the Quran it's okay.

It is sad this kind of rhetoric is said so often with a straight face in my country I believed you were serious until the middle of your post.

K!r4 said:

The problem is that you can't force another culture to obey to yours

I think the respect of other cultures should come to an abrupt end when innocent children are killing themselves because of the completely backwards laws that their cultures impose on them. It's a horrific and tragic story and steps should be taken to stop things like this from happening.

Gez said:
I could vaguely understand if that was a law from three centuries ago that had been forgotten about; but a creation made on the eve of the 20th century?

It was indeed a law from 1999, although that was an "improvement" from an even worse version from the early 20th century. We had to wait till the Radical party (representing the new middle class of industrialization) convinced the establishment in 1912 to have secret ballot voting for elections instead of an easily abused verbal system, and women's rights were very slim until Peronism arrived and introduced women's suffrage and other rights. Besides, you'll recall that Latin America had dictatorships backed by conservatives (including the Catholic church) throughout like half of the 20th century, interrupted by democratic periods that were often conditioned by the impositions of those dictatorships, so we've had a lot of shit legislation or idiots reverting stuff to previous crap.

I hope we get rid of the penalization of abortion, which apparently is going to be treated soon. We have the equivalent of the US bible belt in some northern provinces, but this time the proposal is coming even stronger than in previous attempts, right after Uruguay decriminalized it and after incidents like the one we're discussing, and other forms of misogyny, including forcing a raped 11 year old to have a child. Currently, only pregnancies due to rape or of mentally incapable people are allowed, and the law is worded so badly conservative judges interpret that only mentally incapable people apply. The supreme court recently sentenced against that interpretation (that abuses wording ambiguity) but, while an improvement, that's still a crippled right.

Speaking about Argentine issues, I just heard that all book imports have been banned just this year. Is that true? What could be the rational for banning imported books? It seems like an attempt at censorship and media control thinly disguised as protectionism. Not that it has much chance to work, what with the Internet.

There was a delay for a bunch of books late last year, which was lifted a few days later. Late last year the government started a new procedure of import substitution, requesting that trading companies try to export as much as they import, as well as asking industries to substitute imported materials and input with local options if available. A blocking system was introduced to allow the commerce office to selectively reject some types of (mainly industrial) products, but not things like books. It's unclear why the books were blocked but early on the rules were not so clear so perhaps an official blocked them by personal interpretation, or it was a means to get the book trading companies to offer some guarantees that they would try to balance their trade deficit.

DoomUK said:

I think the respect of other cultures should come to an abrupt end when innocent children are killing themselves because of the completely backwards laws that their cultures impose on them. It's a horrific and tragic story and steps should be taken to stop things like this from happening.

And then you come to my second point: by imposing your point of view in another country, you are sure you'll fail. Unless you think it's worth bombing, giving propaganda and executing conservatives for a few decades until "you shouldn't assume it's okay to rape a girl because she is your equal" is hardcoded into their brains.

Heh, I'd rather let the most progressive of their people try to change things themselves as long as they aren't killed by their own government.

K!r4 said:

Heh, I'd rather let the most progressive of their people try to change things themselves as long as they aren't killed by their own government.

Or by local groups of criminal fundies that haven't taken over the government yet.

That said, just give it time, and these "marry your rapist" laws will be billed in the USA with a name like Protect Our Unborn Children Act or something like that.

K!r4 said:

And then you come to my second point: by imposing your point of view in another country, you are sure you'll fail. Unless you think it's worth bombing, giving propaganda and executing conservatives for a few decades until "you shouldn't assume it's okay to rape a girl because she is your equal" is hardcoded into their brains.

Let's turn their land to glass -- for science!

Krispy said:

No, Doomguy f**ked up that joint. She'd be partying on alone.

But that would make an awesome movie, the girl is raped and then is murdered and is pardoned and sent back to Earth by Satan to wreak revenge. Fsck Yeah!

... I know a girl that married her rapist. Her family disowned her and all of her friends stopped talking to her because of it. She got raped, filled out the police report they didn't have enough to actually arrest the guy, but she got a restraining order on him. 4 years later the restraining order ended she ended up dating him and getting married after 3 months. wtf.