Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
LightningBolt101

Engine preference

Those normally don't matter during gameplay though.

Originally they effectively didn't have a real height at all.

Indeed, they didn't have a real height in Vanilla.

But when the real heights are used, it's the difference between whether you can walk over/under/through it or or whether a missile goes over/under/through it.

Still, what does that have to do with the Boom/MBF compatible ports trying to unify their MBF feature support?

Vermil said:

or or whether a missile goes over/under/through it.

IMO missile must always go through decorations, z-clipping enabled or not. This is vanilla behavior and what many vanilla/Boom maps rely on. (Those that expect or accomodate for "real" hights are likely to be ZDoom-only.) I consider Doomsday behavior a bug.

As far as I am aware, ZDoom lacks an option to disable z clipping, while Doomsday lacks an option for missiles to go through scenery mobs.

As such, neither port has full support for Vanilla behaviour yet and both feature what the other port lacks to achieve it.

One can probably manually modify Deds and Decorate to deal with it, but I mean, in game options.

I imagine there are many supposedly 'vanilla' and 'limit removing' wads out there that assume missiles don't go through scenery mobs, simply because I don't think most ports, ZDoom and Doomsday included, make it clear that scenery didn't block missiles in Vanilla. I mean, I've seen a wad that is supposedly 'Vanilla' but actually relies on the fact that both the floor and ceiling of a sector can move at the same time; that was a feature added in Boom.

Vermil said:

As far as I am aware, ZDoom lacks an option to disable z clipping

How about this? Together with this you get perfect vanilla behavior as far as mobjs clipping or not with each others are concerned.

Vermil said:

while Doomsday lacks an option for missiles to go through scenery mobs.

What? It still lacks? But wasn't JDoom's plan all along to act just like vanilla?

printz said:

What? It still lacks? But wasn't JDoom's plan all along to act just like vanilla?

Doomsday has been in a rewrite since 1.8.6. Things like dealing with the few game-isms that deviated from Vanilla Doom were put aside during.

Hence 1.9.7 features no real differences to 1.8.6 in this regard (indeed, the current lack of rendering hack support might be considered a temporary regression).

To put it in perspective though; Doomsday remains one of the most Vanilla Doom faithful ports.

As Vanilla behaviour support has become more popular amongst the community since Dday went in for a rewrite (Chocolate Doom, ZDooms compatibility menu etc, didn't exist back in the 1.8.6 days), Dday will probably gain a compatibility menu of some sort, like ZDoom.
However it will never be as long as ZDoom's because Doomsday has always been much more faithful by default.

As such, the rewrite, while not quite complete is nearing it's end. Doomsday has been comparatively frozen feature wise during the rewrite. Looking at the roadmap, after Doomsday 1.9.8, it looks like the wheels will start turning again...