Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Leon

Windows creating?

How is this done, or where can I get a texture of a window from?

Would help if we knew what sort of window you have in mind - the basic hole in the wall connecting two rooms, a skybox, Boom translucent wall, fake glass, a portal or something else.

Essentially just a transparent window which allows the player to see through the wall, but also looks like a window is there. Btw, I'm using Doom 2 in doom builder

Well, in ZDoom (Doom in Hexen Format) format in Doom Builder 2, you can make a linedef that blocks all and is translucent. However, that can't really be done in Vanilla like that.

PRIMEVAL said:

However, that can't really be done in Vanilla like that.

There is a vanilla DooM editing trick that allows the use of "streaked" transparent textures to give the appearance of glass, and allows the window to be blocking.

But you're right that transclucency is not supported in vanilla DooM.

Meh - I need to post a little faster, damn telephone!

For vanilla you'll need a custom texture (DNXGLS01 in the Duke Nukem Texture Pack is OK if a bit small), for Boom-compatible ports there's the added option of translucent mid-textures (linedef action 260). Adding a "broken glass" texture and replacing a switch texture pair gives you breakable glass, combine that with a self-referencing sector and you have a window or glass door that can be walked through once broken. I'll post a little demo map later.

Here we go - recycled bits of a test map to create this basic demo which uses the Duke Nukem glass texture, Boom translucency on two windows and some shootable glass. Only three rooms and Chocolate compatible, apart from the glass door which uses a Boom generalized linedef. Have fun taking the map apart to see how it works.