Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Super Jamie

Super Jamie's Super Cellphone Discussion [split from kitten blog]

Super Jamie said:

The stone age called, they want their mobile phone back.

Photos look decent to me, at least they're not noisy.

Super Jamie said:

The stone age called, they want their mobile phone back.

I took the photo with a Fujifilm A170. And the phone I have is perfect for me, the Symbian OS seems to be very secure, better than the clusterfuck that is Android.

Opera Mini FTW. I will admit that I used the Digital camera to take the photo because the phone had locked up, but otherwise it works very well. Cdoom works very well on my phone as well, but the SFX will not work. Getting back to the kitten she is the only one who will use the scratching post. Maybe I should get an Iphone, but only if I could use apps on it like Youtube, E-Mail and a nice Opera browser.

Super Jamie said:

I meant this

You should see my phone, then.

Oh, I do have a smart phone as a work phone, but I don't really use it for anything but occasional e-mails. I don't even carry it around unless I really need to because it's too big. Pointless little things, those are. The only thing you really need from a phone is an ability to, uhh, make phone calls. And send SMSs.

neubejiita said:

And the phone I have is perfect for me, the Symbian OS seems to be very secure, better than the clusterfuck that is Android.

I've had many Symbian and Android phones, they are so different you can't even compare them.

A Symbian phone is like a shit old Nokia phone from back when MMS was new, except someone's written an email client and a few half-working clunky basic apps for it. You *can* do some things on it, but it's painful and not really that great an experience. An Android phone is like carrying the world's most convenient computer around in your pocket.

Even the worst Android phone craps all over the best Symbian phone from a great height. Seriously buy a Nexus One cheap off eBay or something, a Linux nerd like you will absolutely love it.

That's an old phone? I have one of the ones that flip open with only a number pad. I don't feel the need to upgrade it at all. It's not that old, either. I think I got it in about 2008.

Jodwin said:

The only thing you really need from a phone is an ability to, uhh, make phone calls.

That's what I had in mind when purchasing my mobile phone, does that make me a luddite?

GreyGhost said:

That's what I had in mind when purchasing my mobile phone, does that make me a luddite?

Only if your cell rings instead of a personalized ringtone.

I'd gladly buy a new k770i if I could since mine does all I expect it to do but it's starting to screw things up at times (camera fails to save photos, loses sight of the memory card, battery lasts a day, etc).

Belial said:

camera fails to save photos, loses sight of the memory card, battery lasts a day, etc.

That's planned obsolescence for you, must be approaching it's fail-by date.

Jodwin said:

The only thing you really need from a phone is an ability to, uhh, make phone calls. And send SMSs.

I used to think this way until I got my Android. Now I'm a believer.

Dragonsbrethren said:

Cellphone design peeked in the late 90's/early 00's.

I agree. Now everyone is carrying black rectangles with a touch screen on it.

40oz said:

I agree. Now everyone is carrying black rectangles with a touch screen on it.

Can you browse Doomworld on your late 90's/early 00's phone?

Jodwin said:

The only thing you [/b]really[b] need from a phone is an ability to, uhh, make phone calls. And send SMSs.

It also should not be a cheap thing, due to reliability concerns. In any case, a phone should do all you're saying there, but I imagine* it's quite convenient to have lots of applications in a single device, instead of having to get your phone from your right pocket, your PDA (or whatever) from your left pocket etc.

* I imagine, because I don't have a smartphone yet. And even if I said all that, I'd rather look for a tablet, because what I really want is to read PDFs while in the metro.

printz said:

It also should not be a cheap thing, due to reliability concerns. In any case, a phone should do all you're saying there, but I imagine* it's quite convenient to have lots of applications in a single device, instead of having to get your phone from your right pocket, your PDA (or whatever) from your left pocket etc.

* I imagine, because I don't have a smartphone yet. And even if I said all that, I'd rather look for a tablet, because what I really want is to read PDFs while in the metro.

Well, the only feature that my smartphone has that my other phone doesn't that I've found any real use for is e-mailing. But even that's not necessary, because if you can't be away from your e-mail even for 15 minutes then something's wrong.

@DoomUK: Do you need to browse DoomWorld on your phone?

Jodwin said:

Well, the only feature that my smartphone has that my other phone doesn't that I've found any real use for is e-mailing. But even that's not necessary, because if you can't be away from your e-mail even for 15 minutes then something's wrong.

@DoomUK: Do you need to browse DoomWorld on your phone?

Of course not. But do you need to be on Doomworld at all? :p

Your modern phones frighten and confuse me! Now if you'll excuse me, I have to check my email on the HTC Dream that I was carrying when I was frozen.

I use a Motorola V360 since 2006:

I threw it numerous times and it still works perfectly. Will get a smartphone once I find them interesting enough, or will jump directly to those AR glasses that are actually in the labs.

My phone doesn't flip, nor does it have a screen..it's also connected to the wall. I guess I'm the cool one now.

I hate these freaking chocolate bars that we keep calling "phones". Almost none of them reach ear-to-mouth anymore, so to compensate, they have to increase the sensitivity on the microphone and pick up all sorts of background noise.

K!r4 said:

I use a Motorola V360 since 2006:

http://uppix.net/8/2/8/d34880bbfb551399d884359141560.jpg

I threw it numerous times and it still works perfectly. Will get a smartphone once I find them interesting enough, or will jump directly to those AR glasses that are actually in the labs.

Pretty similar to my Nokia 2760:

Except mine's scratched and scuffed to hell, heh. But likewise, it's fine to chuck about without fear of breaking it and if I lose it, a replacement isn't going to dent my finances in any noticeable way. Cheap phones for the win.

There are times I miss the simplicity of older phones.

I have a Nokia C2 for work which is just used for phone calls. I have HTC Desire for personal use, mainly used for txting, a few apps and games. I dont recall the last time I used it to ring people.