Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Super Jamie

Super Jamie's Super Cellphone Discussion [split from kitten blog]

Wagi said:

I hate these freaking chocolate bars that we keep calling "phones". Almost none of them reach ear-to-mouth anymore, so to compensate, they have to increase the sensitivity on the microphone and pick up all sorts of background noise.

That sounds like my dinky little Motorola W173, which is not a phone to use on a busy street. Think I'll get a flip next time.

I was rocking cell phone from 2005 up until about September of last year, when my parents decided that I needed a new one. The people at the store barely even remembered the old thing ever even existed... Being two-times overqualified for an upgrade, I just hopped over and picked out the latest Droid.

Using it, I can call and text people without any hassle. My two requirements for a phone are satisfied.

DoomUK said:

Can you browse Doomworld on your late 90's/early 00's phone?

I don't need to have doomworld available to me on the go 24/7.

Smart phones are such a scam, because you can't really enjoy them unless you root them, or get custom ROMs. I had to do that just to get new apps that were once for my phone, but were cut (Android 2.2 and up for 99.9% of apps now).

My NOKIA brick phone, how I miss you.

Really? I havent unlocked my HTC and there hasnt been anything I've wanted/needed that required it.

Same with my ipad, I unlocked it with cydia, but after scrolling through the shit in their store, I thought whats the point. I couldnt find anything in there that would have improved the stuff I use it for.

What's the point of modern computers when all you play is Doom, right guys?

But isn't it nice to have the option of doing other stuff with your PC/phone/other device?

Belial said:

Wah wah, get an Emporia.

Nah, my Nokia phone did everything I needed. I could connect to my computer and get on IRC with a tty client, and checked sports scores. all I needed really.

Find a smartphone with a battery that can outlast the best of the "dumb" phones, and then we're talking.

Maes said:

Find a smartphone with a battery that can outlast the best of the "dumb" phones, and then we're talking.

I'll admit, this is an issue for a lot of modern phones and definitely something that needs further R&D. My Samsung Galaxy Ace's battery cries like a bitch if I do anything with it except make calls and texts and look at webpages.

More like an "issue" of a phone with a bigger screen, bigger CPUs and a lot more functions needing a proportionally larger battery to keep everything going. My Sony Ericcson K750 was a high-end phone for its time, and has a battery capacity ranging from 700 to 900 mAh (single 3.6V LiPoly cell) yet manages to keep up to a week (if idle), 3-4 days with daily use (maybe 2-3 calls, some fucking around with media etc.)

In comparison, my ZTE blade which has a CPU and general hardware closer to that of a netbook, a much larger screen that needs to be energised to even get input etc. only has a 1300 mAh single 3.6V cell, and barely manages 3-4 days idle. Using it for calls/media/games means recharging almost daily. I'd gladly sacrifice some weight and/or size to give it a decent 2000-2500 one, since it's a big-ass object anyway. It doesn't have to be "sleek and metrosexual" like an iPhone wannabe.