Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
kwanbis

One On One DOOM?

It's been a very long time since I played DOOM.

But recently, my 8 years old nephew wants to play shutting game with me. Let me say that we live in 2 different countries.

Anyway, what would be the best option for both of us to play, either he against me, and we both as a team against some bots, without the intervention of anybody else?

He is very young, and do not want him exposed to estrangers.

Thanks!

Get ZDaemon, and set up a private server so that only you two can join.

thanks, i'm just checking ZDoom first, i created a server, and started it.

Now I'm trying to understand how do I and my nephew connect to it.

I would try the password protected servers options also.

You could also try some coop on regular levels, killing monsters! Some say it is the best experience Doom can offer.

Thanks guys. What to play is not the problem. I used to play doom, all versions for about 8 hours daily for like a year, but long time ago.

The problem now is understanding all this new ports, and mostly, how to make it work connected, but it doesn't seem easy.

I was hopping for a more plug and play experience, but it looks like I would need to do a lot of reading.

Also, I tried Zdoom and Odamex, but the graphics are exactly the same as I remember them. I thought they where improved somehow?

Well, they try to keep true to the original. If you use Skulltag or ZDaemon, there is OpenGL rendering, adding fancy fog effects, dynamic lights and the sort. For improved graphics, check out some of the popular enhancement mods.

Yeah, I like it true to the original, but with a little better graphics. It looks so pixelated! You mean WADs?

K!r4 said:

You could also try some coop on regular levels, killing monsters! Some say it is the best experience Doom can offer.

I'm going to shamelessly pimp Scoredoom scoredoom.com. Its designed for competitive arcade type co-op with points. Its basically gzdoom with a scoring system. You will want to turn off the announcer voice though if your nephew is 8. ;-)

edit: since you live in 2 different countries, use scoredoomST (instead of regular scoredoom), which is based on skulltag, much better and easier to set up for internet play.

kwanbis said:

Also, I tried Zdoom and Odamex, but the graphics are exactly the same as I remember them. I thought they where improved somehow?

The resolution has been increased a lot. But the original resources are still what they are, so when you're close to a wall or a monster, you'll still see all their pixelated glory.

There are a few hi-res packs around, but they generally only cover textures and item pickups. Monsters have too many frame, the people attempting to make hires monster sprites end up discouraged when after three years of hard work they discover they have only made half of the imp's first rotation, and none of the rest of the bestiary.

Well, either that or they just lazily pass the sprites through some automated Photoshop filters or whatever and it looks like crap. If you want that, you can as well just get GZDoom and turn on the HQ4X rescaling. :)

Krispy said:

Hey guys awesome image

I must know what that map is, and the mod. (I mean the one shown not the linked pic). I played it years ago, on ST-Doomseeker, and have been wanting to find a larger server of players ever since. It was something something "Wars".

Platinum Shell said:

I must know what that map is, and the mod. (I mean the one shown not the linked pic). I played it years ago, on ST-Doomseeker, and have been wanting to find a larger server of players ever since. It was something something "Wars".

All Out War 2 for Skulltag. It's almost always populated with at least ten other players.

http://aow2.drdteam.org

Oh, and it's nice to see that a young kid would like such an old game. These days you see kids obsessing over Call Of Duty or Battlefield -_-