Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Chubzdoomer

Invisible to Monsters?

Is there any way at all to make you, the player, completely invisible to monsters? I've tried using the +INVISIBLE flag in DECORATE but they still sense your presence and if they're on a patrol route, they start doing this really strange start-stop type of movement slowly scoot along their route. I want the player to be totally invisible to monsters without them being friendly or using one of the Thing_Hate variations to make them ignore you. Is this possible?

Thanks for any suggestions or help!

Eternity has the HIDEME cheat code, and the "total invisibility" item type can be mapped to a sprite, but it's not implemented on any stock item by default (there is a predefined EDF thingtype, but it's among the Eternity TC objects to be removed). Unfortunately, it only makes you stealth until you shoot. Afterwards, you're sensed as partially invisible by the monsters, even if you're totally so.

I've assembled the item anyway, independent of any forward compatibility: http://files.drdteam.org/index.php/files/get/0Bkgk-eh5k/totalinvis.zip. This can be safely used in Eternity WADs. You can summon it by saying at the console "summon totalinvisisphere", and it can be placed in maps by using doomednum 28423 (also different from the Eternity TC number).

I guess ZDoom should also have something like this, because it has lots of other custom powerups as well, such as monster terror, commonly used in mods as the Terror Sphere. Does the +DONTDRAW flag work? Hey -- it doesn't appear in the ZDoom wiki, though I could have sworn I saw it in ZDoom v1.22's Dehacked awhile ago.

EDIT EDIT EDIT: Apparently Skulltag has it too, as seen from here: http://www.realm667.com/index.php?option=com_content&view=category&layout=blog&id=71&Itemid=206&limitstart=30 I tested that and NO, it doesn't make you totally stealth against monsters :(

The old-school way to do this is to build a map with a full REJECT table. This way, monsters will never target you remotely with projectiles or hitscans (all attempts to attack will be suppressed), but will still be able to track your position from your x,y coords once awakened, and will retaliate if hit from melee range.

http://doom.wikia.com/wiki/Reject

I apologize for not specifying above, but I'm creating this project in GZDoom.

Thanks for the responses so far, guys! If anyone else has suggestions or knows of methods to try, please let me know!

chubz said:

Is there any way at all to make you, the player, completely invisible to monsters? I've tried using the +INVISIBLE flag in DECORATE but they still sense your presence

printz said:

Does the +DONTDRAW flag work?

I'll let you in on a closely-guarded secret: the monsters aren't playing Doom on monitors, so they won't care whether you're drawn or not. The monsters know your coordinates anyway, since they are game constructs and so is the marine.

You need to use a powerup.

Full invisibility to the monsters is not possible, but if you derive from this, you have a chance that monsters will not see you as long as they have not been woken up. You can use Powerup.Mode to change the drawing style (though it is purely cosmetic since, again, the monsters don't actually have eyes).

Can't the NOTARGET property be set on the player? By that I mean the SetPlayerProperty ACS statement.

Grain of Salt said:

You can have full invisibility in vanilla. Dehack the megasphere to give you zero health -- you are now invisible and can move freely. There are unfortunate side effects, though. Even if you get ressurected (give a voodoo doll some health boosts), you can never use weapons again. Still, there are probably some interesting gameplay ideas lurking in this gimmick somewhere.

...Which probably will not work in ZDoom, I assume.

chubz - what do you want the monsters to do? just stand there and not move while you walk in front of their face? do you want them to move if you shoot your weapon?

TimeOfDeath said:

chubz - what do you want the monsters to do? just stand there and not move while you walk in front of their face? do you want them to move if you shoot your weapon?

Let's just say this: It's a very complex set of rules that must be followed within a very complex "secret" project I'm working on. I finally managed to solve my problem by using Thing_Hate combined with changing IDs of freshly spawned monsters. I used the fifth variation of Thing_Hate, which tells monsters to hate those with another ID but ignore the player himself. Before, this wasn't working correctly and as they were following path nodes/patrol routes, sometimes they would break away and act very strangely. By changing their ID immediately after spawning and telling them to hate the specific set of monsters, though, they behave correctly and the problem appears to be solved.

But just because I solved my own problem doesn't mean I necessarily figured out how to truly make the player invisible to monsters! That is something that, as far as I can tell, is still not possible without bending over backwards and using crazy methods and engine trickery.

I also apologize for not explaining more about what exactly I'm trying to accomplish to begin with. I'm trying to keep this project under wraps, though, because it's pretty special and to my knowledge hasn't been done before -- at least not in this way!

There's a cheat code in Doom95 called fhshh that makes you invisible to the monsters. It's silmilar to invisibility, but a monster will notice you if it hears a shot or if it's hurt. If you deactivate the cheat code, then all of the monsters will notice you.

I found this info here.

Gez said:

...if you derive from this, you have a chance that monsters will not see you as long as they have not been woken up.

Hmm, a feature suggestion to modify this "chance" seems in order. I'm a bit surprised nobody's thought of it before. :P

Xaser said:

I'm a bit surprised nobody's thought of it before. :P

Probably because the difference would be hardly noticeable unless the chance got nulled, and in that case, there already existed the setplayerproperty function :)

Still, there appear to be several parameters, not just chance. I'm looking at vanilla Heretic's source mind you. You can actually sneak in Heretic, like an RPG thief or assassin hiding in shadows: as long as you move slow enough and don't get too close to the monster, they won't detect your presence at all. These three parameters (speed, distance and chance) could be modifiable if you want to be very fine with it.

Does ZDoom have stealth behaviour support? People could create assassin Hexen classes with this.

Honestly, I don't really want to encourage ZDoom modders to make gameplay mods where you have to be slow and stealthy. Doom and co. are games where "being stealthy" means "running so fast the monsters can't aim at you".

What about cooperative Hexen mods where one of the characters is an assassin (or thief) like in RPGs?

So if a sourceport was willing to add this feature would it upon entering a cheatcode store the actual reject and overwrite it with all 1's like Maes suggested?