Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
printz

Just what is Doomworld forum user Referrals?

What does this user-uneditable entry mean? I'd like to know, because I imagine it is how many times it has been linked from elsewhere.

When someone registers an account, they can enter the user name of someone who convinced them to come and register. That gives +1 referral to that user.

I suppose the referral system is used on some forums for some sort of popularity Ponzi scheme. "I recruited more people than you!" "Nuh, uh, half of them were your own sockpuppets!" It's kinda silly and totally useless IMO.

Huh, apparently I have one referral. I don't have any idea who it was, though.

I've got two and can't think of someone I would have convinced to subscribe here.

I'm sure it's not always applied from a direct recommendation. Anonymous referrals may simply be people who followed links to the forum that we posted elsewhere or people who heard us mention Doomworld or the forums in a chat or whatever.

I think I lurked the forums and picked a username at random as my referral, thinking it was required that you know somebody before being allowed to be in this forum

Doom Dude said:

I seem to have 1 somehow. It wasn't a spammer from another board, I swear. ;)

After seeing the amount you and Aliotrophical managed to post, I dont think labelling him a spammer accurately covers the numbers you accumulated lol.

Planky said:

After seeing the amount you and Aliotrophical managed to post, I dont think labelling him a spammer accurately covers the numbers you accumulated lol.

Haha, very funny. I should have known you wood have something sappy to say about that. Shouldn't you be somewhere doing some planking? :p

I suspect he's board. :)

Going by my referral count, I'm not exactly a magnet for new members.

My referral count is officially zero, but I should think that creaphis-crack-sweet, creaphis-sweet-crack, and creaphis_sweet_crack signed up largely on the strength of my posting.

I used to think it was something meaningful like the number of times someone or someone's post was referred to because they had extensive knowledge about something or posted something particularly insightful, until I read the FAQ.

General Rainbow Bacon said:

Where do I find the referral's number?

Your own? Here. It's zero.

I think I have more posts on ND than I have on the rest of the web combined. Some of us used to use it like a chatroom.

As for referrals, I have no idea how many I have. Those profile links tell me I don't exist. Putting a ? in your name sometimes has interesting effects. It makes sense I can't navigate to a path with a ? in it, but it doesn't much much sense why the software lets users put unusable characters in their names.

Aliotroph? said:

Those profile links tell me I don't exist. Putting a ? in your name sometimes has interesting effects.

I always thought your profile was disabled because you wanted it to be.

Couldn't Linguica just do the percent encoding when he changed mod_rewrite? Geez.

Aliotroph? said:

As for referrals, I have no idea how many I have. Those profile links tell me I don't exist. Putting a ? in your name sometimes has interesting effects. It makes sense I can't navigate to a path with a ? in it, but it doesn't much much sense why the software lets users put unusable characters in their names.

As Printz said, percent encoding.
http://www.doomworld.com/vb/members/Aliotroph%3F/