Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Coopersville

Pain Elemental sketch

This is so wonderful I can't find words. It definitely gives some personality and depth to the soulless Doom mook population.

I just wonder how the chains are tied to the skulls, but I've never studied skeleton anatomy thoroughly.

EDIT: Looking at your DA site, I really like that muscular arm with a mouthful of teeth :P

I thought about having the chains bolted to their foreheads-- seemed too wacky. So, I hid the chains somewhere in the back of the skull. They're probably attached by hooks into the (demons' equivalent of the) foramen magnum.

It expands on the concept of demons actually cooperating with each other, or at least exploiting the others' abilities to aid in the defeat of Doomguy. I've been thinking of ways to implement a weak monster, like the Lost Soul, to enhance another monster. The original idea was to draw an Arachnotron having its tank suspended by four Lost Souls chained to the legs. Still a solid idea, imo, but with how my mind was working earlier, it probably would have (again) looked too wacky. Might take a shot at it some other day.

I guess the rationale behind this mob is that the Pain Elemental can have two Lost Souls at the ready before a marine steps into the room, and the chains keep them close to its body so they don't wander off. I guess it also allows the PE to have more attack options, being able to swing the Lost Souls like flails.

Or the PE could use them for propulsion; like a waterskier uses a towboat, the PE uses leashed lost souls.

Or a Pain Santamental on its flying sled drawn by red-nosed lost souls. Wait, you said you wanted to avoid wacky things. :p

Brilliant. I hope iD takes this idea :-)

That's a really cool and creative take on the Pain Elemental, nicely done!