Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
DASI-I

Custom text in Doom 2

I've just finished a WAD with 5 maps. now i want to add text either in between levels or during ingame that are triggered by walking over a certain linedef or sector. I know my way around doom builder 2 but thats about it. I know DB2 has a button that takes you to a script editor but dont know where to begin. A nice step by step of how to do it would be nice. Thanx in advance.

Read up on Cluster definitions: http://zdoom.org/wiki/MAPINFO/Cluster_definition
Here is an example of text between maps using MAPINFO:

Map MAP01 "Test"
{
LevelNum = 1
Next = "MAP02"
SecretNext = "MAP02"
Sky1 = "SKY1"
Cluster = 1
Music = "D_RUNNIN"
}

Cluster 1
{
Flat = "FLOOR4_8"
Music = "D_VICTOR"
ExitText = "Replace me with something cool"
}

You could make one more map, and just modify the text that comes right before Dead Simple using DeHackEd. Or worse, start your wad on MAP02

jdagenet said:

Read up on Cluster definitions: http://zdoom.org/wiki/MAPINFO/Cluster_definition
Here is an example of text between maps using MAPINFO:

Map MAP01 "Test"
{
LevelNum = 1
Next = "MAP02"
SecretNext = "MAP02"
Sky1 = "SKY1"
Cluster = 1
Music = "D_RUNNIN"
}

Cluster 1
{
Flat = "FLOOR4_8"
Music = "D_VICTOR"
ExitText = "Replace me with something cool"
}

Thanks man, I'll give it a try. And thanks to everyone else for posting I am at least a few steps closer to my goal.

I also forgot to mention that this only needs to work for GZDoom

Ok, so Ive tried it and when I compile it it gives me this error: "invalid declarator" for (line 0). SHould I be using Zdoom ACS Script or ZDoom USDF Script or something else....or is THAT even the problem. Ive tried many combos and they all have this issue. I probably could figure it out myself if only I knew what "invalid declarator" meant.

This isn't an ACS script, it's for the MAPINFO lump that you put in your actual wad. You can use a wad editor such as Slade to make a MAPINFO lump. Once you make one, you copy and paste the code into the lump.

DASI-I said:

I've just finished a WAD with 5 maps. now i want to add text either in between levels or during ingame that are triggered by walking over a certain linedef or sector.

For that, see Krispy's first reply.

Except do not use an ENTER or OPEN script. Use a normal script (void) and set some linedef to use action 80: ACS_Execute with the script number.

If you want it to be activated when entering a sector, you can use this sector action thing, place it in the sector and give it the action 80 as its special.

Yeah, I posted an ACS script. It's a way of doing what you asked in a simpler manner, although it's not what you had in mind.

I got the exittext working, thanks for the help. I had to create a text file called MAPINFO.txt, placed the code in it and drag'n dropped it in the WAD using Slade. A fantastic program i must say. XWE is much harder to use...and more unstable!

Im now trying to get the ingame text to work
Can somebody give me a more detailed example of what the script looks like? you know, that causes the text to pop up (in the middle of the screen) as I step on a certain sector, or cross over a certain line-def?

http://zdoom.org/wiki/HudMessage

This link will describe how the text is printed, where it will appear on the screen, what color it will be, etc. It show examples of different HudMessage scripts, and also examples of x-y coordinates on screen.

Krispy said:

This link will describe how the text is printed, where it will appear on the screen, what color it will be, etc. It show examples of different HudMessage scripts, and also examples of x-y coordinates on screen.

Yea, I've already been to that page before but I cant seem to find anything on how to trigger the text when the player steps over a certain sector or line-def. All I can see in that page is how to set the color, position, font, etc... :\

Go to line actions, then action 80, which is "script execute". Then set which script to execute and how it will be triggered.

Krispy said:

You could make a Hud Message like this:

script 1 open

{
    hudmessage (s:"I am saying stuff in this map.";
    HUDMSG_TYPEON, 0, cr_yellow, 0.1, 0.1, 500, 500, 100);
}

Im tring to do that but using this code didnt work, it gave me an error when I tried to test the map.

15098D said:

Im tring to do that but using this code didnt work, it gave me an error when I tried to test the map.

Try copying and pasting this:

#include "zcommon.acs"

script 1 open

{
}

Krispy said:

#include "zcommon.acs"

script 1 open

{
}

Thanks, I'll try.

Krispy said:

#include "zcommon.acs"

script 1 open

{
}

OK, it works but the message onluy stays for half a second

Krispy said:

#include "zcommon.acs"

script 1 open

{
}

actually, never mind, I fixed the code :D THANK YOU! IVE BEEN TRYING TO GET THIS TO WORK FOREVER!

Badboy said:

>action 80, which is "script execute".

what action is it db2 ? it isnt 80.

Yes it is.

If you're not seeing it, though, that most probably means you aren't using enhanced map formats (UDMF or Hexen format), so you cannot use ACS at all -- at least, not directly.

thanks!

right now im using the normal zdoom format. if i use zdoom udmf, is there a general Change in the map? like monster wakeup distances or something big.

No, distances aren't changed.

Closest thing to a behavior change is that in Hexen format (not UDMF, though, just Hexen format) monsters can activate certain line types that they cannot in Doom format (or was it the reverse, I forgot) unless a MAPINFO option is set.