Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
ASD

If Doom got one more update

If Doom got one more official update, v1.91 or something like that, what fixes, additions and stuff should that have? I'm not thinking about super upgrades like new monsters, sliding doors, etc. but something minor, such as new episodes (''No rest for the living'' for PC Doom2), bug fixes (tutti-frutti effects, sky bug in Doom2) and engine updates (raised visplane limit). Some people already know the fan-made update for vanilla Doom. http://www.doom2.net/doom2/doomp191/

essentially every source port is a "fan-made update"... this kind of speculation seems pointless.

udderdude said:

Bigger Mancubus tits.

I'd rather have Demon/Cacodemon fellatio than some ugly ol' titties.

Bare minimum for me would be raised limits and a MAPINFO equivilant (even the old-style one from ZDoom would be nice, although the new one would definitely be preferable).

Bug fixes would be nice too, but given how fixing things has lead to all manner of compatability options in ZDoom and it's derivatives, I can't help but think that'd definitely not be a "minor" thing in any way. Saying that, MAPINFO, especially with it changing the level name in the intermissions screens, probably isn't a small feat either.

Phobus said:

Bare minimum for me would be raised limits and a MAPINFO equivilant (even the old-style one from ZDoom would be nice, although the new one would definitely be preferable).

Why would Id software need to do any of that, after Doom 2 was over? It was mostly stability errors or competitive play stuff which needed attention.

I'd probably go for UDP multiplayer support, but I don't know how available was that in 1995. Was it? Either that, or enhanced multiplayer interface with possibly improved spy mode. It seems like multiplayer generally gets more attention in updates.

Make it so fists don't alert monsters. And maybe change the Arch Vile alert sound to something slightly less ridiculous but still utterly terrifying. And ten times more gore.

Krispy said:

Make it so fists don't alert monsters. And maybe change the Arch Vile alert sound to something slightly less ridiculous but still utterly terrifying. And ten times more gore.

Brutal Doom can help you with that last suggestion.

Fix all the texture alignment issue in episode 2 and 3. Episode 1 is pretty polished in this aspect.

Krispy said:

And ten times more gore.

Brutal Doom.

Something like MAPINFO would be pretty cool, allowing players to set up their own self-contained episodes (or even single maps!).

Clonehunter said:

An give the Cyberdemon a giant hanging dick to flop around wildly as he walks.

You might give Maes a new avatar in that regard...

I swear, he has the most epic avatar ever. Everytime I see him post I think "Maes likes big butts and he cannot lie, you other Doomers can't deny!" I also start hearing the riff for that song go off in my head.

Anyhow...

-Fix as many bugs as possible from that Doomwiki list
-Give difficulty flags to those items which have 0 difficulty flags set (for example, there is an Energy Cell, Thing ID 37, in E2M9 that has no difficulty flags set, so it does not appear in the map).
-Texture alignments
-Unstick stuck monsters
-Fix the secret count errors in E4M3 and E4M7. I don't think it was intended for E4M3 to have 22 secrets. That must've been a mapping oversight with id's inhouse editor. id must've created a sector, marked it as a secret, created that staircase with a million secrets on it and probably forgot to remove the secret sector type off of those stairs. Kind of like Doom Builder, where if you create a new sector next to a sector, then the sector will have the properties of its adjacent sector.

If you also remember, it's impossible to attain 100% secrets in those maps. In E4M3, you have two sectors that are occupied by two tiny sectors in the Rocket Launcher room marked as secret sectors. It is impossible to step onto these secrets without cheating, making your highest possible secret score in E4M3 90%.

In E4M7, it was because there are two sectors in that tiny cloest with the Invincibility Sphere that are marked as secret. These sectors are too high for the player to get onto, so the highest secret count you can get on E4M7 without cheating is 50%.

I'd also fix how teleport sectors in Maps 15 and 27 in Doom II are marked as secret, making it impossible for 100% secrets in those maps, and remove one of the Computer Area Maps in Doom II Map27 so that you can attain 100% items in that map.

I'd also remove that pillar in E4M9 that appears on multiplayer only. You know that cage that you teleport into if you fall into the water pits at the beginning of the map? If you teleport into there on multiplayer, there is a pole blocking the switch to lower the barriers to get out, so you need outside help to get out. Don't know if this was intentional or not.

Clonehunter said:

An give the Cyberdemon a giant hanging dick to flop around wildly as he walks.

I believe CheapAlert made a de-castration mod.

peach freak said:

You might give Maes a new avatar in that regard...

I swear, he has the most epic avatar ever. Everytime I see him post I think "Maes likes big butts and he cannot lie, you other Doomers can't deny!" I also start hearing the riff for that song go off in my head.

You're not the only one....
... but do you do it in Maes' voice?

printz said:

Why would Id software need to do any of that, after Doom 2 was over? It was mostly stability errors or competitive play stuff which needed attention.

Those two things are purely from a selfish mapping perspective. I'm happy working with Vanilla functionality, but before to do in a limit-removing environment with a nice, simple way of defining map names, episodes, skies and the like.

It would need the No Rest For the Living campaign officially added to Doom II PC version (and an official selector for the Master Levels). Nothing else has to change, the community do a good job for that.

Technician said:

I believe CheapAlert made a de-castration mod.

Doom: Uncut? That was a disappointment :-(

GreyGhost said:

Mouselook.

Can't believe I didn't think of that! Show's how little I use anything other than ZDoom for playing...

I'm still a big confused about why left-right mouselook isn't considered mouselook. What is so exclusively vertical about mouselook?

Even moreso since Heretic (based on the v1.2 engine) had it as a standard feature. It's also a relatively minor hack in the rendering code, and only cuts through gameplay code in 1-2 spots. Pretty clean, if you ask me.

If looking up and down didn't skew the geometry of levels so much with the vanilla rendering engine I think there's a good chance vanilla Doom would have had it.

Gez said:

I'm still a big confused about why left-right mouselook isn't considered mouselook. What is so exclusively vertical about mouselook?

The original "mouselook" just replaced the keyboard controls. You aren't just looking, it's movement. In any case it's just semantics. Whoever originally added the feature called it mouselook and now that's what it's called.

I think the one main thing I'd change is the stupid slight horizontal aim. I'm tired of shooting rockets at walls that aren't where I'm aiming and shooting moving targets from far away is a huge PITA.

Tough choice
-the mapinfo stuff would have been cool to have.
-the list by peach would be an absolute must.

Well, I would settle for things being teleport-able by switch to enable levels with a higher puzzle depth aka Doom64.
This is the only weakness I feel Doom might have.

${my favorite features of my favorite source port}

Serious answer? They could at least have got sprites in PWADs working.

It'd be nice if health/armour bonuses wouldn't get picked up and wasted, if you run over them when you're at 200% health/armour. I'm sure (without bothering to look) that plenty of source ports have this as an option already, but it would have been nice for it to be part of vanilla.

But then you have to hug a wall and shoot rockets to get 100% items...