Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Retog

Scythe map28

In the first 'Scythe' wad there is a very unusual map. This map is map28.

Are you meant to be crushed/squished randomly?

footman said:

You're supposed to reach the exit before it kills you.

Ah so it is impossible to do UV-Max?

If you play on a lower skill level than UV, it is easier to reach the exit in time, as there are fewer scenery items blocking your path. UV is really intended as a challenge for experienced speedrunners.

If I remember correctly, there's a crusher slowly moving on a vodoo after doing something, and if it reaches the player, you stop and start dying. As an added measure, the vodoo is surrounded by barrels which when crushed, will kill the vodoo, and you.

I think.

Wow, I just watched UV-Speed in 24 seconds... awesome. Has anyone attempted this RJ without TAS?

Map28 was actually the only map I strongly disliked about the whole wad (the rest was awesome though). I really couldn't finish it on UV - I guess I was doing something wrong - so I had to cheat (shame on me :( )

Rambosee said:

If I remember correctly, there's a crusher slowly moving on a vodoo after doing something, and if it reaches the player, you stop and start dying. As an added measure, the vodoo is surrounded by barrels which when crushed, will kill the vodoo, and you.

I think.

Do you mean an invisible crusher? What is a voodoo?

Grazza said:

If you play on a lower skill level than UV, it is easier to reach the exit in time, as there are fewer scenery items blocking your path. UV is really intended as a challenge for experienced speedrunners.

I can do a speedrun of it, I was just wondering if it was possible to get max on the level.

Retog said:

Do you mean an invisible crusher? What is a voodoo?

A voodoo doll is a second player start (as in Player 1 again, not Player 2). What you get is a "clone" of the player that takes damage just like the actual player does. Damage done to the voodoo doll is taken from the player as well, so if it is in a hidden room being crushed the player appears to die for no reason, just like in Scythe MAP28. They're used in Cyberdreams and a lot of Boom .WADs that use conveyor belt scripting, amongst other .WADs. Another frequent use is to have them be telefragged by the player in order to "fake" an instant-death pit (TNT MAP30, for example)

Phobus said:

A voodoo doll is a second player start (as in Player 1 again, not Player 2). What you get is a "clone" of the player that takes damage just like the actual player does. Damage done to the voodoo doll is taken from the player as well, so if it is in a hidden room being crushed the player appears to die for no reason, just like in Scythe MAP28. They're used in Cyberdreams and a lot of Boom .WADs that use conveyor belt scripting, amongst other .WADs. Another frequent use is to have them be telefragged by the player in order to "fake" an instant-death pit (TNT MAP30, for example)

Thank you for the explanation **