Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
ASD

Doom for PSN

Why isn't there Doom (& II) for PSN yet? One thing that bothers me is that Nerve converted Wolf3D for both XBLA and PSN, but didn't convert Doom. Are there any constraints for this or is it an exclusivity? If that's an impossibility, there would been at least the PSX Dooms as PSOne classics. But I'd prefer the ''XBLA-port'' Doom for PSN anyway. Has anyone already contacted Nerve and Sony for this?

With Midway gone I'm pretty sure that PSX Doom is in publisher limbo at the moment.

As for the XBLA ports, the same could be argued for Quake Arena Arcade. Whether or not anyone contacts Nerve or Sony is pretty much irrelevant. As irrelevant as an online petition, in fact.

Too bad. Wish I had the PSX Doom discs then. Only have the demo version with MAP03. It's not so easy to find those two.

I just figured that Microsoft and id have a deal together or something. Sorta how Bethesda and Microsoft are butt buddies and basically neglecting the PS3 port of Skyrim.

ASD said:

Too bad. Wish I had the PSX Doom discs then. Only have the demo version with MAP03. It's not so easy to find those two.

The internet is your friend. Finding both for less than a tenner isn't that hard. You might pay a bit more for Final, though, but in terms of rarity/price it's not exactly Radiant Silvergun ;)

Doom is a certain kind of love that is only nostalgic with the few that were around when it was evolutionary, and those that appreciate it now for what it was. And lets face it, Doom was evolutionary in the gaming world, it's basic tenets have been bastardized across so many platforms... Even the newer versions attempting to hit the old nostalgia (doom4) weren't really all that. It wasn't the graphics, (if it was we'd all have given up a long time ago?) it was the fun, the pressure, the amount of customization since the old school days etc, that made this game a true legend. I mean nevermind the old Doom/doom2/finaldoom of PSX, that was just a branch of cool history this game flaunted which I happened to favor because that is what brought me into doom in the first place, even though I still love that stuff today more than the original.

I think everything through doom 64 kind of kept it real, the more recent doom (doom4 or whatever) broke it just by trying to ressurect a good game with good graphics, but much less repeatable playability.

Funny enough though, Xbox360 resurected the old Doom rather than the PS, which says something right there.

I don't honestly think Doom is going to be as good as it was/is from player content, the players keep it alive, the map creators keep it real and hold onto those old tenets tha make doom fun, but from Doom 4, it seems hard to find a paid person that loves doom as much as a passionate person that drops a wad just out of sheer love for the original game to actually go out there and keep it real with modern touches.

Imo!

Has anyone with the original psx disc checked if it works fine on ps3?

I've been pretty tempted into getting it lately, if only to see the oddly placed Doom 2 monsters in the first game.

EANB said:

Has anyone with the original psx disc checked if it works fine on ps3?

I've been pretty tempted into getting it lately, if only to see the oddly placed Doom 2 monsters in the first game.

Yes, they both do.