Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Snakes

California Marijuana "College" Raided by Federal Agents

In another shining example of competency and reasonable approach, the Internal Revenue Service and Drug Enforcement Administration raided Oaksterdam "Marijuana College" today in California.

Of all of the targets for this historically retarded war on drugs, I fail to understand how this is, by any means, effective. It doesn't encourage criminal behavior, is located in what is arguably the most marijuana-friendly state in the Union, and believe or not, can lead to jobs for graduates who want to either start their own dispensary or work at one.

Any ideas as to why this shit is still happening?

In my opinion Uncle Sam should focus less on busting people in connection with marijuana, a drug which should be legal, and focus more on deporting illegal alien gang-bangers like MS-13 who actually kill people. Hell, deport all gang-bangers for all I care.

Boohoo they're taking away our drugs so we can't blow out our brains anymore boohoo.

Jodwin said:

Boohoo they're taking away our drugs so we can't blow out our brains anymore boohoo.

Not sure if serious.

Also, I don't take drugs of any sort. I can just realize the difference between pot and, well, drugs that are actually dangerous.

Jodwin said:

If you're serious, you're a moron. If you were making a joke, you've failed.

Snakes said:

Also, I don't take drugs of any sort. I can just realize the difference between pot and, well, drugs that are actually dangerous.

The War On Drugs is a complete failure in every aspect. To make it look like less of a waist of time, money, and resources, they bust kids for menial shit like pot. That, apparently, appeases the squares who think marijuana leads their kids into the likes of crime and sodomy. Of course sending kids to privatized prisons doesn't hurt the economy either, right?

I've rarely smoked pot when I was younger and laugh at this supposed evil.

EDIT: Also, this neat piece of satire brings the issue home quite well.

Snakes said:

They need the war on drugs so they can help exponentially increase the national debt. This is supposed to stimulate spending and lead to economic recovery.

Jodwin said:

I think people have a right to put inside their bodies whatever they wish. And while smoking anything is bad for you, pot has been proven to be less dangerous than alcohol and tobacco and can also yield it's own medicinal values.

Anyway, this happened in California? I thought Arnold made it legal?

I hate the argument that you'll be leaching off the system if/when you need medical attention resulting from your abuse. Abuse? There is less drug related emergency than fat mother fuckers who are suffering from heart attacks or went blind from ignored diabetes. America, or any western civilization for that matter, has any right to dis drug users when it's full of fat, drunk, smokers who are willfully destroying their bodies.

Technician said:

willfully destroying their bodies.

It's their bodies to do that with. Everything is bad for you, these days.

Well, they got rid of the drug cartels's power in Columbia, now they're in Mexico. Do they really think that "purging" California will help? If anything, legalizing it will take away power from drug lords. And yes, I do know that there is a difference between weed and coke, however, they both have the same status as far as the federal government is concerned.
P.S. I don't use drugs of any kind.

Krispy said:
Well, they got rid of the drug cartels's power in Columbia,

Then why is Colombia a huge, if not the main, global producer of cocaine?

Its more like the DEA, the gangs aligned with it and the local right wing government took over the country.

Looks like the net result of busting the Colombian drug cartels was to transfer control of the market to the FARC rebels and right-wing paramilitaries.

Having learnt nothing from the failure that was Prohibition, America's "War on Drugs" lurches from the sublime to the ridiculous.

Snakes said:

Because if they continue to encourage legal marijuana, then the idea will spread to other states, and there will be less reason to keep funding police departments for their war on drugs since marijuana makes up the vast majority of drug busts.

Conclusion: treating cancer patients with cannabis is anti-police communism. What are you, some kind of terrorist?

myk said:

Then why is Colombia a huge, if not the main, global producer of cocaine?

Its more like the DEA, the gangs aligned with it and the local right wing government took over the country.

Its more that our government has all the capability in the world to stop these problems but chooses not to. Its counter productive. They make far too much money having these issues around to eliminate would put a lot narcotics officers, half of the ATF, and a bunch of other organizations out of a job.

Our government seems to absolutely REFUSE to shrink itself and rather, expands the hell out of itself at the expense of keeping issues like this around in the world. At least, that's my observation of it.

StevieCybernetik said:
Our government seems to absolutely REFUSE to shrink itself and rather, expands the hell out of itself at the expense of keeping issues like this around in the world. At least, that's my observation of it.

I think many of you guys like to jump on the idea that everything is explained by the government's growth voraciousness. The growth may exist but there are more practical reasons to keep the war on drugs running. Drug trade is like an extreme form of deregulated market so it serves as an invasive force for financial business. Since it's clandestine, it can crack through established regulations. It is a grim model or underlying application of brutal laissez-faire policies. It also helps that since you put together police forces to "fight it" these can be used to help deregulation by cracking down on portions of the population that would otherwise get together to make organized demands. These would end up giving birth to social benefits or union activity, so it's convenient to find an excuse to tackle them without looking like a direct persecution.

The war on terror is similar, but it tends to help destroy and weaken foreign governments and fuel the military-industrial complex. While the drug war tends to create police States in nations where its policies are applied, the war on terror militarizes the affected areas and countries. They're the "police" and "military" venues for US imperial/colonial activity and together could be called "the war on the people". They do make the US government grow yet at they same time they tend to cripple of co-opt other governments, supplanting local sovereignty with foreign intervention by your "1%".