Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
neubejiita

TNT MAP21.

What is it about the TNT MAP21 Administration Center that is so familiar to the Doomguy? He has a reaction when he realises where he is and he is not happy. What part has this place played in Doomguys life, or some place like it?

Source: TNT Ep3 intermission.

The vista opening ahead looks real damn
familiar. Smells familiar, too -- like
fried excrement. You didn't like this
place before, and you sure as hell ain't
planning to like it now. The more you
brood on it, the madder you get.
Hefting your gun, an evil grin trickles
onto your face. Time to take some names.

ASD said:

SKY3.

Precisely. What's familiar is that Doomguy is once again in Hell. Remember, TNT is supposed to take place sometime after the events of DOOM 2.

Those words create a more powerful sense of storyline and player involvement than 100 cheesy cut scenes.

Gears of War, I hope you're listening.

neubejiita said:

Smells familiar, too -- like fried excrement. You didn't like this place before, and you sure as hell ain't planning to like it now.

For anyone who has been even a short term in the Army, this can mean but one thing: latrine duty ;-)

Also, administration = where you usually get sent to when you have screwed up big time (more than what your NCO or platoon leader has the authority to handle) ;-)

So, from this simple but powerful paragraph we gather that Doomguy has been frequently written-up and had to do many, many latrine duties there. After all, he's but a grunt, and those things don't exactly clean themselves....

Oh I get it, the partial part of the story in the Doom game manual about doom guys arguments with his superiors, he must have been sent to the administration before he was charged to go to Phobos.

TNT Ep3 intermission said:

You didn't like this
place before, and you sure as hell ain't
planning to like it now. The more you
brood on it, the madder you get.

Funny, these are the same thoughts that go through my head whenever I get to TNT Map21. :P

It kinda sounds like they wrote the text intermissions before they created the maplist.

This thread reminds me...I dont think I have ever read any intermission text in any Doom game. Ever.

Story in Doom? Meh. I like to come up with my own ideas/"story" for each map.

The other notable thing about TNT MAP 21 is the see through doors they created using the bsp nodebuilder and the special door tags. That is actually not a bad map, the Habitat map is worse.

Memfis said:

Wasn't it based on Ty Halderman's office or something?

Ty Halderman's office first showed up in Sacrifice, the level in question later became part of TNT MAP19.

The intermission text has nothing to do with Map21, but more where Doomguy is going into after battling through the bases of Io, which is obviously Hell, rightfully so with the red sky.

I also think the thing that is familiar to Doomguy is Hell, like how others that replied to this thread thinks.

Vordakk said:

Precisely. What's familiar is that Doomguy is once again in Hell. Remember, TNT is supposed to take place sometime after the events of DOOM 2.

If that's where TNT: Evilution, then where does The Plutonia Experiment take place?

NitroactiveStudios said:

If that's where TNT: Evilution, then where does The Plutonia Experiment take place?

Both TNT: Evilution and The Plutonia Experiment have their own storyline taking place after Doom 2.

I think the idea behind Evilution MAP21 is that the initial square area is set on the Jupiter moon, while the big area at the end is set in Hell. We know that it's all really one map, of course, but the two areas are totally segregated to give the player the feeling he's traveled to another dimension instead of just to different coordinates (MAP04 used a similar trick). Since it wouldn't be practicable to switch from the night sky to the Hell sky mid-map, the square area's designed without any exterior windows to keep up the illusion.

The Gate in the manual's story is probably supposed to be the final teleporter the player uses. It's not quite as foreboding as the Gate back in E1M8, but still makes for a better transition to the land of fire and brimstone than the little exit sign at the end of MAP20.