Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Sign in to follow this  
MajorRawne

Making trees out of sectors

Hi, I wonder if anyone can either explain to me how to make a convincing tree in Doom Builder, or point me to a map which has them? I am building a swamp map, and while I can make tall tree stumps which gives a cool petrified forest look, I want to know how to create the convincing effect of a canopy of leaves.

Thanks in advance!

MajorRawne said:

Hi, I wonder if anyone can either explain to me how to make a convincing tree in Doom Builder, or point me to a map which has them? I am building a swamp map, and while I can make tall tree stumps which gives a cool petrified forest look, I want to know how to create the convincing effect of a canopy of leaves.

Thanks in advance!

Not an easy effect to pull off. Best I've managed is some cartoon-y Sonic styled trees, and even that needed 3D floors to do right.

I think Action Doom had a nice forest/woods area, but it was a bit dark to see the treeline:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qttFNJlthTo&feature=player_detailpage#t=22s

Maybe a combination of sectors and midtextures to simulate hanging vines and leaves?

I think that sensible use of middle textures would be enough to make a good forest.

Some of the build games like Blood and Shadow Warrior did nice looking forest maps of trees connected together with the leaves and branches basically blocking most of the sky will only gaps of the sky visible.

I thought the 'trees' in Painis Forest (Painis Cupcake mod) looked nice. Dunno where to find a download, though.

Hi everyone, thanks for the input. If I remember, the first 10 Sectors wad contained a forest level which was part of the inspiration for my map along with the aforementioned horror film. I have got some temporary placeholder trees which don't look magnificent but they should do for now:

I've got different problems now. My maps are far too complicated for a relative newbie like me, yet still my brain persists in coming up with cool ideas that I don't have the skill to implement.

I'm having problems getting the two monsters in this screenshot to activate upon seeing the player. The monsters are both tagged as Deaf. There is a very thin sector connecting their deployment zone to another sector; when the player enters this sector they're supposed to see him and come forward as per the diagram. They don't activate. When I clip into their deployment room, they activate and teleport as normal.

So I guess this leads me to weird questions about monster line of sight etc. How do I get the monsters to activate and attack?

EDIT: I tried removing the monsters' "deaf" tags, fiddled around with the monster area to set it up properly, then marked all of the perimeter walls as "blocks sound". When the player enters the sector now he is attacked by two Lost Souls, and when he shoots at them he activates the Pain Elementals. This isn't how I wanted to do it but I thought I'd give it a try.

Unfortunately, if the player shoots from outside the "Blocks Sound" lines the monsters can still hear it and come to life, and the player can hear them roar. What's the point of the Blocks Sound parameter if it doesn't do anything?

I like the trees in ZDCMP1. They're pretty simple since they're just one texture on 8 separate lines but they do the job. :P

Block sound lines must be used in pairs like in doorways windows etc. sound does travel and will go into any sector that is not completely blocked by sound lines or closed doors etc.

Check to make sure that you have covered all these bases.