Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
AndrewB

The /newstuff Chronicles #74

I'm reviewing two new WADs this week, and any that didn't make it before the deadline will be talked about next week. They came from Newstuff, by the way.

• The Other Side Of Phobos by Karthik Abhiram - - This is a very nice single-player map for Ultimate DOOM, running on E1M1. Fans of episode 1 will eat this one up. It takes place on a moon base, with a healthy mix of indoor and outdoor areas. It most resembles E1M9 of the original Doom. Health and ammo is balanced quite well, and the challenge is good. It also has a very simple yet decent music replacement. Again, very nice.

• X8a7 by Graham Baird - - Five maps for Ultimate DOOM, E1M1-M4 and E1M9. These maps have variety of themes, using odd combinations of textures. Little detail throughout most of the maps, and health and ammo seems unbalanced. It does bear a small resemblance to the original Doom maps, however.

I'm going to be honest in this matter, but none of these wads pertained to any major 'event' or any 'event' at all. They therefore do not appeal to me.

Originally posted by Diabolic
I'm going to be honest in this matter, but none of these wads pertained to any major 'event' or any 'event' at all. They therefore do not appeal to me.

It's Andrew's job to review all the new wads that pop up in /newstuff every week. He's not announcing these because they're huge events in the Doom Community. I actually enjoy seeing this every week, because he advises us which levels to get and which ones aren't worth the download.

Originally posted by bigbadgangsta
I <3 AndrewB and I <3 /newstuff

You love him like a friend or like a boyfriend?

Karthik's level is excellent guys, highly reccomended. It's hard to record though heh, those 3 barons keep on knocking me into the poison &^#@(!&

Very nice, I liked the gameplay. Reminded me of Ultimate DOOM's e1m4, except harder and much better-looking.

This is why your not very smart. When I said "events", that meant the levels had no major background and that they were basically just levels.

You may be right... however, don't discourage other peoples material and work if you do not want to be discouraged yourself.

I hate to sound negative here, and I have always been a strong supporter of Karthik's maps, but OSP isn't THAT good.
I glad to see him getting better at making maps.
It's good, and fun to play, definitely a worthy addition to any wad collection, and much better than any of my maps... but don't say it is a must play or you're going to make me quote Ola. :)

Originally posted by Diabolic
This is why your not very smart. When I said "events", that meant the levels had no major background and that they were basically just levels.

So what point were you trying to make?

Wow, people love speaking there minds here. Why would adding some stupid and tripe plot to go along with my rather mediocre levels make it more worth while to play?

OSP is a Doom level. And it looks like one too!

{{{Karthik}}}

Good job dude :)

Don't listen to him, the levels were good... I'll admit that. They however were not great but it wasn't a waste of my time either.

Originally posted by diabolic
but none of these wads pertained to any major 'event' or any 'event' at all. They therefore do not appeal to me.

Who cares if they were a big event or not? They were released, that's event enough to get mentioned here.

This is my ferst poast (not a newly-made poopie), having just sorted out my new account. Other side of phobos is a pretty good wad, I enjoyed it. Nice authentic detail, a good trap at the start (quite hard at the start, especially with -fast) and just when I thought it was getting easy, along came the final room to blow that notion away! (although I didn't find the rad until the end)

Ultimate Doomer: This is my first post in the Forums too :)

Thanks everyone for your comments on my OSP map, I'm glad that you guys liked it!

"but don't say it is a must play or you're going to make me quote Ola. :)"

Opulent - if someone had said that it was _THAT_ good I'd have disagreed myself :) I like the map and the way it came out, but this is only my 5th WAD release and there's still a long way to go before my maps reach that level of quality!

By the way, what is that quote by Ola?

P.S. I'm 5 days late, but Happy Birthday Doomworld! The new design is great.

I'm glad you understand where I'm coming from.
It is apparent, from all the great reviews, that OSP is pretty cool.
just wanted clarity that it wasn't the best ever.
I expect we might be saying that about your next project though!
Show Fredrik what 1337 is all about! :D

Maybe if I get really lucky my map will be ready in a couple of weeks.

Vrack III will be 'Fantacular' for sure.
What I'm not sure of, is if that is a good thing. =D
just kidding... finish that thing and unleash the beast!
The Hell Knight is undressing me with his eyes...

Good fun 'n' nice to look at.I thought I'd accidentally started on E1M3 at the beginning.