Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Sign in to follow this  
Carny Goat

Wad Compatibility Fix?

Hi all. I finally got into the new Doomsday Engine that's recently been updated. I'm using version 1.9.7 and this has a very attractive setup to it. However..

I'm trying to get a certain wad to run using this engine, I thought it might work since it didn't change much. The textures however are not working like they should. This wad is likely Zdoom Only.

Is there any possibility I can get it to work correctly with Doomsday 1.9.7? (May have to water down some features) If not, this will be a rather short post.

The wad is Boomtown by Birdman. You can get it here on his site.
http://birdnestdesigns.net/index.html If it cannot work, I need some details as to why. Technicalities using Doomsday.

Thanks guys!

Carniverous Goat said:

lol@site

It's like stumbling onto a lost Geocities world.

Carniverous Goat said:

I'm trying to get a certain wad to run using this engine, I thought it might work since it didn't change much. The textures however are not working like they should. This wad is likely Zdoom Only.

The whole deal was packaged with DeuTex, there's no reason for the textures not to work. It looks like it'd work even in vanilla (except for the sprite replacements).

It works fine in, for example, Eternity, except for the TERRAIN lump of course.

Most of the textures do work in Doomsday. For some strange reason, Doomsday isn't using all the textures, it's replacing some of them with Doom 2's original textures. You can even see for yourself by comparing it with the Zdoom engine vs Doomsday 1.9.7

Doomsday 1.9.7 has a bug with loading replacement flats that are marked by the 'FF_START' marker. Simply, they aren't loaded.

Brand new flats, marked by this marker are loaded fine however.

@Memfis The trees are alive! D: Also, the wad works best using a Zdoom engine when it come's to vanishing sprites.

@Vermil So there is a bug in the latest stable version of Doomsday that doesn't load replacement flats? Bummer. Does the beta of 1.9.8 address this? I'll see if it does.

Thanks for answering my questions. It would be great to see Doomsday be able to handle wads like these. I'm also noticing some HOMs effects when playing levels in vanilla Hexen (one in shadowwoods Ceiling near the room that leads to Darkmere, and one around the wastelands I'm not sure about the exact location since a lot of the tunnels look identical), and Eternal Doom III also has some HOM effects when rendering invisible floors. It's a very pretty engine, I still continue to use it, my beef right now is these things need to be fixed.

Carniverous Goat said:

@Vermil So there is a bug in the latest stable version of Doomsday that doesn't load replacement flats? Bummer. Does the beta of 1.9.8 address this? I'll see if it does.

Only when the replacement flats are marked with a certain marker; it's something you'd have to have some familiarity with wad making to understand and the only way you can tell what marker is used by a wad is by opening it.

The latest 1.9.8 unstable build doesn't address the issue. I've added it to the bug tracker though.

Carniverous Goat said:
I'm also noticing some HOMs effects when playing levels in vanilla Hexen (one in shadowwoods Ceiling near the room that leads to Darkmere, and one around the wastelands I'm not sure about the exact location since a lot of the tunnels look identical), and Eternal Doom III also has some HOM effects when rendering invisible floors. It's a very pretty engine, I still continue to use it, my beef right now is these things need to be fixed. [/B]

The other things you describe are 'rendering hacks'. The Vanilla Doom renderer could be made to display visual effects it wasn't technically meant to. Source ports have different renderers, but try to replicate as many of the rendering hacks as possible.

Doomsday 1.8.6 replicated many rendering hacks, however support for them was removed some time since, with the aim of rewriting that area of the code; as of writing Deng team have yet to rewrite support for the vast vast majority of rendering hacks.