Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Nick Perrin

Nick learns (G)ZDoom

Hey all.

So I've been away from Doom for a few years now. I realized how much I missed it and came back about a month ago now and begun work on a new project (No it's not MoUAC), and was amazed how much fun I had again.

Now I'm very familiar with development in the EDGE sourceport, and in fact what I've been able to pull off in that engine while I was working on MoUAC and even now has demonstrated that the engine still has a lot to say for itself and much left to prove.

Unfortunately, development of EDGE was abandoned in recent years (with the exception of Corbin's team developing an indie title for PC and Dreamcast on their own adaptation of the engine), and with this new project of mine in the concept, planning and early production phases, I've realized the need for something more powerful. Or at least something with less clunky means of attaining my goals.

The problem is of course that I have no idea how to work with ZDoom, but I plan to learn and have been working the usual route of tutorials/wad analysis/etc. Of course, many of the tuts are outdated, and looking at other people's work isn't always clear. So I will have questions, and that's where you helpful lot come in.

I'm taking the brunt of the learning responsibility on myself, naturally, but for those niggling questions I can't seem to figure out on my own, I'd be honoured if y'all could help me out.

First question (could only find some unanswered forum threads on this): Can you control the style of weapon bobbing in gzdoom? e.g. in EDGE you could define the SWAYING (left/right) and BOBBING (up/down) amount. I heard you can turn it off completely, but is there a better way to make specific changes to the style of bobbing?

Thanks for the help. I'll be back. Hopefully this thread will be useful to others picking up Zdoom as well.

About this new project, it's smaller than mouac, bigger than a gameplay mod, and I'll post about it on wadsinprogress once I have more to show for it. Mouac of course being on indefinite hiatus :p

Nick Perrin said:

First question (could only find some unanswered forum threads on this): Can you control the style of weapon bobbing in gzdoom? e.g. in EDGE you could define the SWAYING (left/right) and BOBBING (up/down) amount. I heard you can turn it off completely, but is there a better way to make specific changes to the style of bobbing?

Not at the moment, but it might happen.

Gez said:

Not at the moment, but it might happen.

Thanks for the answer, & good to hear. At this point it seems to be a choice between no bobbing or absolutely-ridiculous-looking classic bobbing. Of course I remember in the 90s when I thought it looked so cool to conduct a symphony in 2/4 with your pistol.

So next question then is: how is weapon bobbing disabled (in DECORATE/without using console)?

Scuba Steve said:

Fuck you, Nick Perrin! Finish Marines of UAC!

hahaha... I did not expect this.

Hey one day I probably will - the whole thing is planned out in detail from start to finish - except to its benefit, now it'll be on Zdoom! In the meantime I think it's smarter to finish at least 1 smaller, less ambitious project, which is the current plan (nothing like a behemoth project to give you production fatigue). I might not be able to die happy if mouac is never finished, though. It's haunted me for years.

New question:
Are there any existing mods that have an opening menu screen & in-game menu that are very or drastically different from the default doom menu? I'd love to look at some code to get a feel for making an altogether new style of menu (if possible). I've tried out TITLEMAP already.