Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Death Egg

Honey, I Shrunk the Doomguy

Download here.

Just a little ZDoom mod I did for fun, shrinking Doomguy down to 1/4 his size. The only way I could fix the headbobbing was by including an AUTOEXEC.CFG with the command, though... I made it so he has about the same jump as usual, because otherwise you wouldn't be able to get up steps. (Which means mods that disable the jump are probably unbeatable with this.)

I was thinking of doing more to it like making him take four times as much damage than usual. People can suggest other things I could try to add too but I'm kind of dumb when it comes to DECORATE, so no promises or anything.

This is great. But what he needs is tiny weapons! And health and ammo. I can imagine that this would make for great multiplayer.

Cool, I don't think I've ever even seen this wiki page (and didn't know of movebob):
http://zdoom.org/wiki/CVARs:Configuration

For me, in wide open spaces there was a weird illusion where it can be interpreted as doomguy's normal size head just really close to the ground. But then you walk near a wall and realize you have less radius and can get closer to it than normal, and it makes stuff appear correctly to scale again. I was trying to think if a shrunk doomguy hand etc would appear more visually correct, but now I think the current size is how it would correctly look if he was shrunk. I also wondered if it would appear more 'correct' to see only 1/4 or so (a smaller rectangle) of the screen, which is scaled to fit whole screen (covered monitor with 3 pieces of paper, but you just see mostly ground so I guess that idea is wrong).

This makes me think of a thought experiment. What if there was an eyeball the size of the earth, and it looked at the earth while only a few feet from it. Would it see the same detail that we normally see, or would it see like a basketball size non detailed globe. I guess it'd just see a very very high resolution pic of all the detail, like seeing tons of pixels all at once (assuming the eye has tons more same-size cones/rods instead of having those cones/rods also scaled larger). Uh... yeah.

I've also thought of this 'thought experiment.' I think that the eye would see a miniature Earth the size of an eyeball.

would make a cool powerup but it's not feasible to play through entire levels this small. :D It's a good powerup because the monsters miss much more since you're so small and they aim where you normally would be (higher).

TrueDude said:

I was thinking of doing more to it like making him take four times as much damage than usual.

Four times? More like SIXTY-FOUR times, due to how mass is proportional to the cube. It would make the gameplay nigh impossible, you'll run out of ammo (monsters will be sixty-four times harder to defeat, and four times as fast). You'll feel like a little bug.