Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Sign in to follow this  
printz

How well accepted are passable 2-sided linedefs without the flag?

There's this fairly ugly mapping hack, which implies having a 2-sidedef line without the "2-sided" flag. What it does is make the middle texture tile vertically, block hitscan and sight, but not block projectiles. Is it accepted practice (and supported in modern ports), even if it's never recommended?

I found a legitimate use for it in Boom-based maps, where I want to make wall switches that can be operated by monsters. Normally, monsters are forbidden from pressing any impassable switch (which are all walls). I'm circumventing this by placing such a semi-wall:

The <-shaped concavity will never be seen in the game, and the passable linedef in front of it has the "2-sided" flag cleared. Since it's passable, it will be usable by monsters. And since it's not "2-sided", bullets will be visible when shot into it, while player projectiles will still be visible because there's not much space behind. Also, it will tile just like a wall, not like a midwall with bleeding (which might be the case if it's the same sector in both sides).

Hmm... good idea, but wouldn't just ceiling lowered to floor/floor raised to ceiling act exactly the same?

Mostly yes, indeed, but in this particular case I have to keep a single sector, because it's a multifloor lift.

I think most ports can handle it but it's clearly something not to count on. You may get unpleasant surprises in some ports that are too far gone from the original Doom source.