Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Macro11_1

ID Games Torrent

I am not sure if this idea has ever been discussed... but has any one considered making a torrent of Doom wads/mods or something?

Doomsday uses torrents for it's model pack mods and the like.

But most Doom wads/mods are small enough that a torrent isn't needed.

no im not talking individual files, I am talking something like a years worth of wads and mods.... from the ID Archive.

Get an FTP manager and download it all. Even with a mediocre connection you shouldn't need more than a day for it.

I can't see any potential use for a torrent here. After all the files are already hosted on multiple reliable servers around the world.

Guess that makes sense. I do not know how big the archives data actually is.

And won't that just increase the cost of hosting the archives if some one were to just download the whole thing? I was just thinking a torrent would alleviate that by allowing people to download chunks of it while hosting it? *shrugs*

[edit]

thanks for the replies.

Not to mention that I'm forbidden from using P2P here.

Also, /idgames grows by each week; your download of /idgames will get outdated quickly.

Macro11_1 said:

I am not sure if this idea has ever been discussed...

I seem to recall someone (can't recall who) suggesting last year that /idgames should be made available on commercial file-sharing sites as a one-file download. :D

K!r4 said:

How much does it weight BTW? Doing backups is tempting.

Around 30GB (that's not counting /idgames2), a bit more than two-thirds of which is in /idstuff.

It would be awfully tempting to have a full copy of the archives. You could fit that on just a couple blu ray disks.

Well what about having a yearly torrent? as in something that contains all the wads + mods uploaded for that year?

I mean there would be some file redundancy, but if you keep the same structure, then when you download the new year, all the updated files should replace their old counterparts...

Macro11_1 said:

Well what about having a yearly torrent? as in something that contains all the wads + mods uploaded for that year?

Might be feasible, here's a rough year by year breakdown of the archive - once again excluding /idstuff.

1994 - 165.9MB
1995 - 376.8MB
1996 - 447.7MB
1997 - 333.4MB
1998 - 201.8MB
1999 - 136.1MB
2000 - 222.7MB
2001 - 166.7MB
2002 - 145.2MB
2003 - 239.0MB
2004 - 677.2MB
2005 - 456.2MB