Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Reisal

Cacodemon pronounciation

Something that's bothered me for a while is the way it is pronounced which is either the first part of (Caco) the word being like Cock-o or Cake-o.

Which way do the Doomworlders pronounce the monster name?

DoomUK said:

I've always pronounced it like this.

I find that dictionaries seem to suggest schwa far, far too often in the English language to the point where 90% of vowels are "uhh". We must sound like a lot of cretins if we're supposed to talk that way. Probably why people are always accusing me of having a pretentious British accent :P

Quasar said:

I find that dictionaries seem to suggest schwa far, far too often in the English language to the point where 90% of vowels are "uhh". We must sound like a lot of cretins if we're supposed to talk that way. Probably why people are always accusing me of having a pretentious British accent :P

Well, I never said I pronounced it correctly. I just pronounce vowels that way naturally.

I pronounce it totally german sounding, something like "Kaa-ko-demon", with the "a" long sounding like in "scar", while adding my saxon dialect. :D
Otherwise I would say something like "cake-o-demon"

Apparently it's pronounced with the emphasis on 'de', but I always say 'cacodemon'.

I pronounce it as it is written (kakodemon), but if I speak English, I'll say Cack-o-demon. It's the closest pronunciation that would feel both natural in English and close to its etymology.

Krispy said:

Apparently it's pronounced with the emphasis on 'de', but I always say 'cacodemon'.

Different languages place the stress on whatever syllables feel most natural for them.

I pronounce the Caco in Cacodemon exactly how you say 'Cac' in the word cackle. As in "I cackle at anyone who pronounces cacodemon differently".

DoOmEr4LiFe said:

I pronounce the Caco in Cacodemon exactly how you say 'Cac' in the word cackle. As in "I cackle at anyone who pronounces cacodemon differently".

Cackle as in "Say-Sklee", right?

Proper pronounciation can be heard in the Deicide song "Satan Spawn, The Caco-Daemon", which is Track 1 from their second album "Legion".

I've always pronounced it with a long A, and even though I know the etymology implies a short A, I'll probably keep thinking "cake".