Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Reisal

Cacodemon pronounciation

Quasar said:

I find that dictionaries seem to suggest schwa far, far too often in the English language to the point where 90% of vowels are "uhh". We must sound like a lot of cretins if we're supposed to talk that way. Probably why people are always accusing me of having a pretentious British accent :P

The schwa is used on unstressed syllables with vowel sounds, and since there are many words where this is the case, it is used the most often.

When i was young i had no idea what any of the monsters names were, so i just called it "circle dragon".

TimeOfDeath said:

I say Cack-o, like Black-o.

Me too; "Cake-o" is a bit strange, sounding like someone is insulting them, calling them "cake".

For years I never even had any idea it might not be cake-o. Until I found out that the word cacophony (which I always thought they got their name from because of the alert noise they make) isn't pronounced cake-o-phone-ee, but kuh-kof-uh-nee.

So technically Kuh-ko might be yet another way of saying it.

But I prefer Cack-o or Cake-o.

Also, with the way it dies I'm surprised no one has said Balloon.

Hock said:

When i was young i had no idea what any of the monsters names were, so i just called it "circle dragon".

It's not very Doomy but that is an interesting way of looking at it.

"That fat red fucker."

Seriously though, 'Ka-Ko-Demon'. Before that I used to say 'Cake-o-demon', but that sounded really shit and faux-Irish after a while.

I always pronounced it "Kah Koh Demon". I always have done aswell. I guess it's my accent. Could never really get used to "Cack-o-demon".

"It's spelt Cacodemon, but it's pronounced THROATWOBBLER MANGROVE!"
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tyQvjKqXA0Y

As a British person I've always pronounced it to rhyme with thwack joe bee man; I don't think I've ever heard John Romero or one of the development team ever pronounce the name out loud.

I was in two minds as to whether it was a pun on the word cack, which is slang for poo, or a weird mistranslation of kraken (it looks a little bit aquatic). The name stands out, all the others are either very conventional ("imp", "demon") or you can see where they got the idea from (the Cyberdemon is a cybernetic demon; the arachnotron is an electronic sort-of arachnid).

That and Mancubus, I suppose. A man crossed with a bus, in a cube?

I interpreted Wikipedia's weird lettering as Kak-uh-de-mon

Personally, Headshot Magnet goes well for me