Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Retog

Games like DOOM

I am trying to get my friends into Doom but they won't get play because of the graphics. Does anybody know any other modern games that have the same feel as DOOM?

*Modern* games?

Sorry, but more modern games have completely left behind the things that made Doom good.

Would Quake 2 be sufficient? Because, honestly, no game after that was able to replicate the feeling that makes Doom what it is.

Graf Zahl said:

*Modern* games?

Sorry, but more modern games have completely left behind the things that made Doom good.

Would Quake 2 be sufficient? Because, honestly, no game after that was able to replicate the feeling that makes Doom what it is.

I suppose your right. I was hoping that there was a game but I haven't found one since. Thanks anyway :)

If the graphics are the only thing stopping them from trying Doom, then why not show them jDoom with fancy models, texture packs and lots of other graphical "enhancements" enabled? Or one of Ssitters's projects for Risen3D? Ease them into Doom by showing them something that looks nothing like Doom, but has the Doom engine at its heart.

Hell, let them play around with brutal doom or something, too. It's certainly not my preferred way to play but I've seen it get total skeptics back on the DoomTrain(tm) again.

Grazza said:

why not show them jDoom with fancy models

Except the 3D models look atrocious and will probably make them even less interested in Doom if the visuals are what's putting them off.

I suppose you could introduce them to Doom 3. We all know it has little in common with classic Doom in the gameplay departments, but it's spiritually the closest thing. But being 8 years old, it's possible that's too antiquated for them, too. I get the feeling these people are the same sorts of people who won't watch black and white movies because they're old and boring.

The most recent modern game (IMO, YMMV) that's comparable enough with Doom is Painkiller, though there are certain things about it (linearity and forced-arena-battle-ness) that don't apply to Doom at all that could leave a false impression in someone's mind. Even then, it'd be considered an old game by most modern gamers too, so you'd have to convince them to play it the same way you'd have to convince them to play Doom. :P

Honestly if you want to show someone Doom, then show them Doom. If you really want to "WOW" 'em, Brutal Doom is actually a rather nice choice since you can do some pretty cool modern-ish stuff in-game and the gore effects seem like the sort of stuff that'd attract crazy gamers.

Xaser said:

The most recent modern game (IMO, YMMV) that's comparable enough with Doom is Painkiller, though there are certain things about it (linearity and forced-arena-battle-ness) that don't apply to Doom at all that could leave a false impression in someone's mind. Even then, it'd be considered an old game by most modern gamers too, so you'd have to convince them to play it the same way you'd have to convince them to play Doom. :P

Honestly if you want to show someone Doom, then show them Doom. If you really want to "WOW" 'em, Brutal Doom is actually a rather nice choice since you can do some pretty cool modern-ish stuff in-game and the gore effects seem like the sort of stuff that'd attract crazy gamers.

Painkiller seems to be quite similar to serious sam, which I also showed them.

Yeah showing them doom is the only way but their ignorance takes over in that situation.

I was telling a buddy about Left 4 Dead and I realized that it's really more like Doom than any game I've played since. It's got hordes of monsters, scripted events (traps) that release them, similar weapons, stronger enemies that you can't really get when you're fighting humans, the fast pace and short levels that approximate the casual, short gaming sessions of Doom.

It doesn't have the slow projectiles you can dodge, it's very linear and it seems like you have to survive a set time in each scenario rather than killing a set number of enemies. But it has more of a Doom feeling than anything else I've played in years.

printz said:

Why not Rage?

Why not Call of Duty or Crysis or Battlefield? They're exactly like Doom, there's stuff on the screen that you shoot and everything.

Serious Sam and Left 4 Dead are the closest I've found. Yes, it's still way different, and yes, I wish my friends would play Doom, but the graphics are still a showstopper, even the most advanced ports and mods on that front make the game, at best, look like something that came out in 2002 or so.

DoomUK said:

Why not Call of Duty or Crysis or Battlefield? They're exactly like Doom, there's stuff on the screen that you shoot and everything.

I said Rage not because I have it (I don't :| ), but because it was made by Id, who also made Doom.

printz said:

I said Rage not because I have it (I don't :| ), but because it was made by Id, who also made Doom.

But it is nothing like DOOM. The engine is way different and it is more of an rpg like fallout.

I don't know about modern games that are like Doom, but to me, graphics don't matter the most, it's the gameplay that matters.

I don't think you're being clear enough in what you want.

First, I don't know if you're asking if you want games that will get them into Doom, but if that is what you're asking I really don't know how you'll get them to like Doom by playing something else. Unless you're saying you want to try to step them into it, in which case maybe it will work I don't know. I'm not sure what games you'd choose in that situation.

You also need to be more clear on what aspects of Doom you are trying to find in other games. Just about every shooter is going to have some aspect of Doom in it, intentional or not.

Detailed user wads using special engine features (eg sloping & 3dfloors) + Brutal Doom + GZDoom at 1080p. (Also mute the MIDI, which will sound too old to their ears, and add a blaring rock/metal soundtrack of choice for extra effect)

Doesn't feel that archaic, and can even be sold under the impression of "looks like a cool new badass indie title."

Let them watch you play for 10 minutes.

For non Doom fans, the gameplay looks so fast, insane and ridiculous compared to anything that exists today, I defy any TRUE fan of shooters to not want to kick you off the chair and take over for themselves.

Of course some people just really have that graphics roadblock. It's always been confusing to me, to limit yourself from great gaming experiences simply because of visuals (that they would have deemed not just acceptable but in many cases also great, had they played the game at its time of release). But I suppose I'd have to have been born a bit later to understand that position. I mean, I have a PC that plays the latest games almost maxed out pretty well, and good visuals lend a lot to the immersive quality of a game, but a great game is a great game is a great game...

Sauerbraten is a FPS that has similar gameplay of Doom or Quake. Lots of fast moving around and huge leaps. It's not exactly like Doom and the single player is kinda shitty, but the multiplayer is a blast!

Did you use a source port with OpenGL like GZDoom? The pixellated graphics of software renderers, although closer to the original feel of Doom, might put some people off straight away.

Nixot said:

Sauerbraten is a FPS that has similar gameplay of Doom or Quake. Lots of fast moving around and huge leaps. It's not exactly like Doom and the single player is kinda shitty, but the multiplayer is a blast!

I used to play a lot Cube. Some maps were refreshing. I liked the Monster Machine episode I downloaded here. I recommend it.

Multiplayer was cool too. Especially in instagib.

The only games like Doom is Doom.

Seriously, unparalleled map design and playability flow, memorable bestiary and balanced weaponry, furious action and sounds/tunes you never sicken of. Hard to find another FPS that can do so well in just about every category by default without enhancement mods.

But thats just my BS opinion.

EDIT: Oh, and its their fucking loss if they can't get into it because of the visuals. It's amazing what was worked into the limits of the engine regarding the visualization and what your imagination is capable of conjuring up while viewing the game. Longest time I thought the Baron of Hell had a bull nose ring.

How about Wolfenstein? It does have regen health yeah, but it also has lots of shooting.

K!r4 said:

I used to play a lot Cube. Some maps were refreshing. I liked the Monster Machine episode I downloaded here. I recommend it.

Multiplayer was cool too. Especially in instagib.

I used to LOVE cube back when I had a netbook (that couldn't run sauerbraten). Played it with bots and in SP for hours. I find the singleplayer a lot better than the Sauerbraten singleplayer, even though they're basically the same thing.

It has more levels too, often selected from the best mods. Monster Machine had its best map included and improved BTW (mm5remix).

I replayed Sauerbraten a few days ago and finally I like it although I'd play it more for multiplayer (got banned from a server because I had twice the score of my opponents heh...).

And Doom, thine only God, thus spake:
Thou shalt have none other games "like Me" before Me.