Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
40oz

AT&T Commercials

AT&T put out a new "So 42 seconds ago..." ad campaign showing off it's new fastest 4G LTE service which makes internet browsing significantly faster than 3G.

The commercials themselves feature a couple of people sitting around, with an excited newcomer saying "Guys! Guys, did you hear about (whatever news it may be)" and the couple indicating that they already were aware, and smugly respond "So xx seconds ago..."

Who exactly are these douchenozzles trying to impress? Is knowing things a half a minute before everyone else with smartphones really a desirable perk? Are people who are uninterested in any sort of news if it's been posted for more than one minute role models that we wish to emulate? Wouldn't you're friends think your an asshole if you sat around doing that all the time? Who would be interested in being the fuckface saturated in the pride of being knowledgible about things as stupid and pointless as news articles and facebook statuses?

I don't really have any beef with AT&T besides their stupid retaliation ads against verizon about their mildly misleading 3G coverage ads, I'd just like to know if I'm in the minority of people who don't see anything positive about being those aforementioned fuckfaces.

I really think the point they were trying to make was a lot simpler. Their service is faster than the dude trying to talk to them about stuff so they were ahead of the curve. The commercials are dumb though.

EDIT:

Take a deep breath and exhale slowly while saying "it's only a commercial". Repeat until you feel calmer.

GreyGhost did not say:
Take a deep breath and exhale slowly while saying "it's only a 40oz post". Repeat until you feel calmer.

I do believe it's working.

I am completely unimpressed by these commercials. They are of the type that motivate me to make a note of whatever the hell it is that is being advertised and make a point of never buying it on principle.

It's right up there with the "New York Times Weekender" ads. And Go Fucking Compare.

Grazza said:

I am completely unimpressed by these commercials. They are of the type that motivate me to make a note of whatever the hell it is that is being advertised and make a point of never buying it on principle.

It's right up there with the "New York Times Weekender" ads. And Go Fucking Compare.

That and Apple products, especially when they had Metropolitan Matt as their mascot. I haven't seen anything quite so idiotic recently, so maybe they learned their lesson. Or maybe I just don't watch enough TV.

Enjoy knowing everything 43 seconds before everyone else for the first few days of the month, then prepare to be throttled because you went over your paltry 5GB/month data limit.

Yeah I came across those ads while searching for the one I posted. Pretty weird.

Those recent ads are targeted towards those who need to one-up their peers. They portray the two AT&T users as the 'cool' guys and everyone else as 'excluded'. You don't want to be kept out of the loop, do you? You want to be cool, don't you? You want good looks and a girlfriend and neat stuff, right? So use AT&T and be better than the other losers.

Krispy said:

Those recent ads are targeted towards those who need to one-up their peers. They portray the two AT&T users as the 'cool' guys and everyone else as 'excluded'. You don't want to be kept out of the loop, do you? You want to be cool, don't you? You want good looks and a girlfriend and neat stuff, right? So use AT&T and be better than the other losers.

That's capitalism at work, for ya.

I only see commercials whenever I drop ny Hulu these days.... so maybe 3 a month. Makes me happy not to have cable. I really only miss watching live sports.

K!r4 said:

Back in 1993 they made better ads than that:

Not the same company as that one. AT&T went under almost 10 years ago and Cingular bought them out, and changed their name to AT&T (I guess they thought it was a stronger brand; personally I would have killed off the AT&T brand there if I was in charge).

I dunno what bothers me more: the commercials or the fact that someone, somewhere, is actually going to think "OH SHIT, I can be just as awesome as those guys!" and switch plans. Bastargs. :(

chungy said:

Not the same company as that one. AT&T went under almost 10 years ago and Cingular bought them out, and changed their name to AT&T (I guess they thought it was a stronger brand; personally I would have killed off the AT&T brand there if I was in charge).

After that, AT&T/Cingular was bought out by Southwestern Bell, the Oklahoma phone provider. This is one reason why AT&T is now one of the top funders of Tea Party and religious fundamentalist politicians.

OMG so fast. I'm not impressed with the price. I make apps for smart phones.... yet I don't own a smartphone. I'm fine with my 7 year old Razor 2 that I pay for $50 less a month. Funny how people used to bitch about Internet being $20 a month and saying it should be free.... yet they're willing to pay tons of money for a smart phone each month.

Quasar said:

After that, AT&T/Cingular was bought out by Southwestern Bell, the Oklahoma phone provider. This is one reason why AT&T is now one of the top funders of Tea Party and religious fundamentalist politicians.

Then SBC bought all of that and renamed themselves.

These ads are more annoying than that snobby brat of a kid in those car commercials, teaching kids there parents weren't cool if they didn't have enough money for a fucking suv.

chungy said:

AT&T went under almost 10 years ago and Cingular bought them out, and changed their name to AT&T

Quasar said:

After that, AT&T/Cingular was bought out by Southwestern Bell, the Oklahoma phone provider.

Csonicgo said:

Then SBC bought all of that and renamed themselves.

According to Wikipedia:
"The current AT&T reconstitutes much of the former Bell System and includes ten of the original 22 Bell Operating Companies, along with one it partially owned (Southern New England Telephone), and the original long distance division."

I'd say it's only a matter of time before the Baby Bells are ringing in unison.