Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Foodles

Need help with see through sectors

Its me again, I'm working in prboom+ and I'm trying to make a crystal sector through which the player can see enemies but cannot hurt them or activate them. I've created a sector within a sector and made the linedefs of that sector reference itself and set the height to 1 which is what I read elsewhere on these forums. This works fine in zdoom but in prboom+ I can still shoot bullets through to the enemies and the splash damage from rockets still hurts them. Is it possible to achieve what I'm trying to do?

You'll have to use Boom's Transfer sector heights line special (242).

Self referencing sectors are a construct that was never considered so shots happily pass through lines with both sides in the same sector.

ZDoom fixes this but also has a compatibility option.

Having a sector made of lines that have no sidedefs will do this in prboom, but it is probably not a good idea.

No sidedefs at all? Not even front side? Many ports will outright refuse to load the map. And by refuse, I mean "best case, they abort with an error message; worst case, they crash".

I have tried using Boom linedef action 242 but I'm not sure how to set it up so that a see through sector is created which nothing can pass through. Can anyone explain to me how this works?

The 242 linedef type makes sectors in game "look" different to how the really are by copying the sector height values from another sector. So in the editor you make the sector how you want it to act (in this case you want the floor and ceiling to have the same value). Then give this sector a tag and find or make a reference sector that you want the first sector to look like in game and assign one of that sectors linedefs the same tag and type 242.

The most common example of this types use is deep water. In the editor the water is usually 16 units lower than it looks in game and type 242 is used with a reference sector (with the water at the desired height for in game viewing).

Hi man. I had problems too with this. What i did was make the crystal and then made the lines impassible and "block everything". The enemies inside can be set to "dormant" if you want them too look likr something in a labrotory. Hope this helped you.

FD God said:

What i did was make the crystal and then made the lines impassible and "block everything". The enemies inside can be set to "dormant" if you want them too look likr something in a labrotory. Hope this helped you.

Nope. Neither of these can be done in PrBoom+.