Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
40oz

My Internet browser sucks

Bucket said:

If you have less, use Win2k.

Why would I install a system that doesn't even run with any recent software anymore?

That's beyond stupid.

What's actually beyond stupid:
1) Believing no apps will run on 2000 any more.
2) Using a computer with less than 1GB of RAM for all of your "recent software".

Bucket said:

2) Using a computer with less than 1GB of RAM for all of your "recent software".

Sorry, I did say I'm on a limited budget (and aside from that, I'm not that concerned anyway).

Graf Zahl said:

Why would I install a system that doesn't even run with any recent software anymore?

That's beyond stupid.

I've gotten by with it for the last 8 years. It turns out that I can live without anything that uses a version of the .NET Framework higher than 2.0. And this has come in handy for running the few applications that throw DLL errors.

printz said:

Sorry, I did say I'm on a limited budget (and aside from that, I'm not that concerned anyway).

Does your laptop have shared video RAM? It's quite possible XP and MacOS aren't reporting it as usable RAM (not that it is, but Win7 correctly reports it as "hardware reserved"). Try going into your laptop's BIOS and setting the VRAM to the lowest setting possible. You shouldn't need that much; it's not like laptops are ideal for gaming.

I had that problem when I received a laptop from a friend: for some stupid reason he'd had the VRAM maxed out at 256MB, with a 1GB stick. No wonder it was running slow. Well, it wasn't so much a "problem" as it was a "free laptop".

Intel integrated graphics don't even allow you the luxury of setting the reserved "video RAM" to a well-defined fixed amount: it is "dynamically" managed and may change on a whim during normal usage, sometimes allocating too much or too little and confusing the hell out of games that try to measure video RAM size before deciding if they should start or not.

There is often no upper limit to how much RAM can be hogged, and no easy way to predict it/set it. Good luck getting any consistent performance with that, even with apps that don't actually use any Direct-whatever or OpenGL.

Bucket said:

What's actually beyond stupid:
1) Believing no apps will run on 2000 any more.

Just FYI: The lastest Microsoft compiler produces executables that require at least XP, I believe.

Maes said:

Intel integrated graphics don't even allow you the luxury of setting the reserved "video RAM" to a well-defined fixed amount: it is "dynamically" managed and may change on a whim during normal usage, sometimes allocating too much or too little and confusing the hell out of games that try to measure video RAM size before deciding if they should start or not.

There is often no upper limit to how much RAM can be hogged, and no easy way to predict it/set it. Good luck getting any consistent performance with that, even with apps that don't actually use any Direct-whatever or OpenGL.

I think HD3000 uses 384MB on systems with 4GB of memory, and 512 on systems with more. It still sucks ass though (not compared to other Intel IGPs, but that's like a shit sandwich tastes better with salt and pepper on it.)