Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Maes

Maes's Colorful And Happy Multicultural Tolerance Thread!

Hola, fellow DWers.

Take a guess what country these pictures are from:

Philippines? Bangladesh? Pakistan?

Albania? Egypt? Morocco? Palestine?

Nope. Not by a long shot.

And check out the cool housing these people live in (photo 10/11 is my favourite, for obvious reasons). That, if anyone ever doubted how bad it really is.

Maes said:

http://p-nstatic.doldigital.net/taneawebstatic/A7B7465CE1BF0190CF55F32CD5041E71.jpg

Philippines? Bangladesh? Pakistan?

That's interesting, because the rightmost guy seems quite similar from people of those countries, like an immigrant. The rest have more familiar faces, which remind me of home :)

Well, we could play a game by asking some questions...e.g. would you walk into the friendly multicultural crowd of the second pic? Or you wouldn't be able to handle the awesome :-p

Spoiler

...and the smell....and the punching....and the mugging....and the stabbing...

I'm American, so any non-English-speaking country is a third-world country as far as I'm concerned.

Bucket said:

I'm American, so any non-English-speaking country is a third-world country as far as I'm concerned.

Even Germany?

DoomUK said:

Depressing photos.

You've never visited slums of a big city before?

Think we can see where Maes got the inspiration for Doomguy's FORCED and PAINFUL Shotgun-thingy now anyway.

The hilarious part to all of this is that I read a BBC News article earlier which compared the whole Eurozone thing to a soap opera, and made out like Greece was the bad guy in all of this. Good to see austerity measures are working anyway! Wouldn't want people surviving long enough to get anywhere in life afterall...

printz said:

You've never visited slums of a big city before?

Yeah, but looking at this stuff is always saddening.

The articles I took those photos from are about "sweep operations" that are supposedly being done in the center of Athens as we speak. Of course, they are nothing but a pre-electoral gimmick, while even the EU has admitted that we hve a unique illegal immigration problem.

Most of these poor fuckers weren't even planning on staying in Greece in these conditions: they were directed elsewhere in the EU, but due to a combination of factors including the infamous Dublin II deal, they are pretty much stuck here with no prospects but living just a bit better than in the countries they came from. There, they probably were treated with a beating, fed their own shit and got a jackboot in the ass for every minor infraction.

Here, they are at best ignored by authorities (which led also to THIS problem), live in those conditions neck-to-neck with other desperadoes like them, are jobless, dirty, horny as fuck, hungry, and generally undesirable, as the areas they live in are now degraded beyond belief, a source of actual infectious diseases (the ambulance seen in the series of photos is there to perform disease checks), and very dangerous to walk in, even in broad daylight. It would sure suck to own or rent a house there...those that do usually leave in short order.

Those that actually rent them houses are the worst: an illegal immigrant living in a shithole without running water or electricity with other 40 immigrants (so that the owner can avoid declaring the renting to the revenue office) pays 100 Eur/month, so the owner has a stellar net profit from all of them.

And yet it's too complex and politically unfeasible to deport them all or lock them in camps, as they proposed just to please the -weary- electorate. What they are doing now is -supposedly- "sweeping" such apartments.

printz said:

Even Germany?

Give it twenty years and Germany will be in ruins. Their current economic policies, of which they are so proud, only work for them because of an accident of circumstances. With their low birthrate and aging population, once the bulk of them are too old to keep working anymore, things will start to crumble at high speed.

Also, if the debt crisis results in a death of the eurozone so that indebted countries can reclaim control of their economy from the hyper-dogmatic ECB, Germany will find itself without any market in which to export. The neoDeutschmark will be far too expensive (STRONG currency is good!) for anybody to import anything from them, and especially not from countries using neoDrachmas, neoLiras, neoPesetas, neoFrancs, etc. Their beautiful and admirable trade balance? Vaporized entirely.

Bucket said:

I'm American and live in a piss-poor, predominantly Mexican neighborhood. Quite a jarrin transition from thethe suburban midwest home i grew up in. I have to say, it's really sad helped me to stop being a bit of a shithead when it comes to multicultural interactions.

Bucket said:

But there are a lot of third-world countries whose official language is English (well, sort of), especially in Africa and the Caribbean ;-)

Those pictures remind me of some of Sydney's inner suburbs before tenement houses became fashionable.

Technician said:

MAES IS A MELTING POT OF FRIENDSHIP!

He has a bunch of friends that happen to be pakis, wops, and niggers.

*gives immigrants little to no opportunities*

*immigrants create their own, semi-secluded, poor-looking communities because of lack of opportunities*

AUGHH WHY ARE THESE FUCKING ARAB RAGHEADS MAKING THESE SHITTY LOOKING TOWNS AND BLEMISHING MY BEAUTIFUL COUTNRY?!?!?!?!?!?!??!

What, are those people in Maes' posted photos really immigrants from south Asia? Interesting. Initially I thought they're just Roma living in a poor neighbourhood, but the kid in the far right of the first photo indeed looked more south-Asian to me.

Mr. T said:

ITT: Maes tries to blame foreigners for Greece being a shithole. LOL

Not really. If you read my post after Technician's, I identified the causes of misery of those people to being duped and now essentially trapped in a country that already had its fair share of problems, and their presence just made some of them worse.

Most of them actually were trying to reach more fancy places like Germany, France, UK etc. but since Greece is the entry point to Europe and our border is riddled like Swiss Chesse (and FRONTEX are just wanker wannabes pretending to be super anti-immigration black-op mercs or something), these people end up settling or rather, get stuck here because of the Dublin Regulation which forces us to "keep", prohibiting them from leaving Greece to go to another EU state:

The Dublin Regulation aims to “determine rapidly the Member State responsible [for an asylum claim]”[1] and provides for the transfer of an asylum seeker to that Member State. Usually, the responsible Member State will be the state through which the asylum seeker first entered the EU.

A really shitty deal for both ends. For them, because they were duped into thinking the EU was a paradise where they would find work, bread and pussy, instead they are stuck in the country where they can least expect to "live the dream" and where they are unneeded, unwanted and undesired, "living" in shitholes with their noses up each other's bum. Their actual "travel destination" was almost never Greece.

Needless to say, very few of the million or so of illegal aliens truly qualify for asylum-seeker status: maybe 1 ever 1000. The rest are just poor fuckers, not unlike most of the people in the countries the came from, and not entirely unlike what most people in the EU will soon be, if a lot of things don't change.

For us, because we can't do anything but let them pile up. We can't repatriate them all (first they have to be caught, most are essentially unregistered nonpersons), we can't give them jobs, and we can't simply let them travel to the rest of the EU (though Italy did just that at some point, but that takes political cojones which we simply do not have).

Gez said:

Give it twenty years and Germany will be in ruins. Their current economic policies, of which they are so proud, only work for them because of an accident of circumstances. With their low birthrate and aging population, once the bulk of them are too old to keep working anymore, things will start to crumble at high speed.

See, this is a problem that immigration is meant to solve in the UK, from what I've gathered. Of course, when they bring their ailing parents to their new home this all comes full circle as we then have even more people to support and cater for, but short of encouraging mass breeding (which results in kids that the full-time job-working parents don't have the time or inclination to raise) over a sustained period of time, I don't really see a real solution here. Guess we can get more of our old people to move to other countries than we already currently have, but I doubt that will work :P

Gez said:

With their low birthrate and aging population, once the bulk of them are too old to keep working anymore, things will start to crumble at high speed.

Is this argument even valid anymore? Yeah, there are low birthrates pretty much in all of the EU, including the UK, but there are also vast numbers of unemployed youth.

You are worried that there will be too many pensioners to support in the future? Well, HOW ABOUT GIVING THE YOUTH SOME FUCKING JOBS INSTEAD OF WATCHING THE YOUTH UNEMPLOYMENT NUMBERS SKYROCKET INTO THE MILLIONS? Have the state draft them for building roads and dry swamps, if necessary, but don't let them just sitting around. The private sector, with its quirks and the caprices of every petty HR manager, can only adsorb an ever-dwindling small number.

The old argument that "spoiled [insert relatively rich country name here]'s youth just won't do certain jobs" is pretty much stale and out of pace with the times.

It seems kind of premature worrying about future demographics and nagging about low birth rates etc. when most of your young workforce is unemployed anyway. Even if you had 10x the youngsters, they would be just as unemployed and thus not contributing to the economy and to pension funds. Aren't there 2 million or so unemployed UK citizens? And claiming to bring in immigrants to "fill in" this inexistent void is even more dangerous.

Well, HOW ABOUT GIVING THE YOUTH SOME FUCKING JOBS INSTEAD OF WATCHING THE YOUTH UNEMPLOYMENT NUMBERS SKYROCKET INTO THE MILLIONS?

But then that'd require dropping down the minimum wages and labour laws to realistic levels so employers would actually hire people who aren't overqualified with years of experience, and we can't have that as the already employed middle-class need their job security to pay for that second house, that new iphone/ipad every 6 months and those holidays all around the world every 2 months while not having to worry about actually working.

Unemployment is pretty low in Germany right now (compared to other European countries). Now in a country like Spain, something like 55% of the 20-to-35 people are unemployed. It's a different issue entirely.

Of course, given that orthodox management practices consist in not replacing people who retire (because creating jobs is evil and wasteful), it is perfectly possible to have one problem turning into the other as time passes.

Just look at Sarkozy's single policy regarding public function agents (regardless of branch or status, be they teachers, magistrates, or janitors): only half of those who retire must be replaced. It doesn't go beyond this arithmetic; there's no consideration about actual workload or stuff; just the basic idea reducing the amount of jobs available will make the country more prosperouser somehow.

The article said: 1.2 bln young people which will compete for a pool of 300 mln jobs, tops.

OK, I never understood just how can you have an unplanned "free" economy with an unplanned, uncontrollable population growth? The old capitalist fairytale that the "free market will self-regulate" is also stale.

You must either forcibly create new jobs (in the Soviet Bloc, the state was pretty preoccupied with creating menial jobs, even if objectively useless, for everybody), or keep the population numbers under control, or put trade/work mobility barriers and give priority to your own people and resources first.

Alternate solution: just subsidize everybody so that we can live a life of indolent decadence and luxury with our every whims catered for by robot butlers.

That seems as likely as anything sane coming out of the current crop of "economists" and "experts" who advise EU politicians.