Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Halfblind

Monster Teleports

This might seem like a dumb question.

How do you make Monster Teleports work?

I have set it up with the door open function in the sector that the monsters are in. But they only appear when there is gunfire heard in the room that I want them to teleport into.

I want them to appear when I enter the room without firing my weapon. I am using Heretic/Hexen in Zdoom format with Doom Builder.

I already know how to activate the Hexen like spawn spots in my maps. I was hoping to also use various monster teleports as well. ☺

If you're using something Boom related you might have to use the conveyor/door combo or something like that to force teleport them in.

What format are you mapping in, you could simply make a walk over line action to "script execute" then write a script to teleport the monsters when you walk over the line. Thats what I would do at least.

Believe it or not, it is actually simpler to create a decent teleport trap using the traditional method of a linked dummy sector containing the monsters.

With a scripted teleport sequence, the monster will either nor spawn at all if something is blocking the spawn spot, or telefrag whatever is there. Also the monster will spawn in its idle state so it might just sit there facing the other way. Also unless you are inventive with random delays, the monsters will spawn in at the same time which looks rigid and odd. You have to use aditional scripting to prevent all these things happening.

Halfblind, link the dummy sector containing the trap monsters to some earlier part in the map where they will be alerted by gunfire. If you do this the monsters will be awake and wandering about in the dummy sector. Then you just have a linedef in the map that opens a door in the dummy sector, allowing the monsters to walk over a teleport line and ambush the player.

There is one method I really like to use, set your monster teleport sectors linedefs to teleport set the activation to player bumps on the linedefs also monster activates flag. Now place teleport destinations and give them all the same tag. Now edit your teleport linedefs so the map spot points to the mapspot tag. Now if a teleport is blocked it will automatically choose another mapspot that is not blocked. This is a nice method because you won't have to rely on making a spawn in sector for every teleport in you have. Just make sure that the floor height is the same as the sector your mapspot is in. There's lots of other ways this can be accomplished this is my favorite way though.