Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Hellbent

Man lives without eating or drinking

Do you think this man is legit--that he lives without eating or drinking?  

94 members have voted

1. 1. Do you think this man is legit--that he lives without eating or drinking?

• Yup
    • I am open to it, but would like to learn more about this man and his claims before forming an opinion
    • Modern scientific understanding has made it clear that this is not possible.
    • This is pure bullshit on a commonsense level.
    • My intelligence feels so insulted right now that I almost feel like crying.
    • Impse

Yes, yes we've heard this shit before. It's basically an indian meme at this point. If it's not someone subsisting on sunlight alone, it's eating rocks, sand or glass.

AndrewB said:

My intelligence feels so insulted right now that I almost feel like crying.

I wish there were a poll option to express this.

I would expect this kind of amazing thread from a registered-in-09 type. Not from a 2000-er. What the fuck is this shit.

The oxygenarian trend has been around for EVER. I liked the "pure bullshit on common sense level" option in the poll. You need food for energy, and need water to stay hydrated or you will die. Plain and simple.

Nomad said:

The oxygenarian trend has been around for EVER.

Lol there is a Martin Sargent webshow, where he interviews a proclaimed "breatharian". His version of the story goes from being 100% "foodless", to requiring only water, to needing only a "little food", to admitting that "only our breatharian form needs no food", but the human one requires substenance.

Said "breatharian form" conveniently exists in an alternate dimension, and is also conveniently unprovable and unfalsifiable. One day, he'll simply be raptured/turned into his 100% breatharian form or something.

Until that day however... as his landlord said the end of the episode,"Yeah, I know him...a good guy, a bit wacky maybe, gobbles down a Big Mac with a big-ass coke everyday".

The old goat might be blessed with a couple of reptilian genes that allow his base metabolic rate to drop to an unusually low level, apart from that I'm calling bullshit and may start crying.

I think it's totally possible for a man to live without eating or drinking. It's just that he also dies soon after.

Xaser said:

I think it's totally possible for a man to live without eating or drinking. It's just that he also dies soon after.

This is the correct answer.

Mogul said:

I would expect this kind of amazing thread from a registered-in-09 type. Not from a 2000-er. What the fuck is this shit.

I couldn't find this guy's claims disproven anywhere, so I thought it was worth posting. I know people are narrow minded and are stuck in the paradigm of impse, crying and common sense, but I thought people would be at least somewhat intrigued.

@The Lag: unless the scientists were in on some big sham (why would they be?) Prahlad Jani did not have any hidden food or water up his sleeve....

If you want to believe in deities, just go ahead and claim faith, don't try and justify the super natural with a tool formulated to study the natural world.

Technician said:

If you want to believe in deities, just go ahead and claim faith, don't try and justify the super natural with a tool formulated to study the natural world.

You raise a good point, which is largely why I posted the articles, because some of the scientists studying the guy are from the military and want to learn how "his body" does it so that other people can survive for long periods without food and water in disaster or other situations. But the thing that sort of maddens me about it is that the guy explains that he was visited by a goddess and was given a gift--but no one is interested in his story. They want to understand it scientifically and apply it to other people, which to me is totally missing the point (and concomitantly, in all likelihood, not going to happen). Having no interest in the guy's account, because to the scientists it's silly, just typifies how silly the scientists are. The point is, the guy has a relationship to the spiritual world (specifically a deity in the spiritual realm) and no one is going to be able to scientifically harbor his special powers, because, as the story goes, you have to embark on a very long spiritual journey of many lifetimes to attain the level Prahlad Jani to develop that sort of spiritual relationship and be blessed the way Jani claims to be (if reincarnation is really part of it, which is widely believed[ie, Dali Lamas]). The scientists are willing to acknowledge he is special, but they are not willing to even consider that his experience of how he gained the special power is at all legitimately possible! And that's what frustrates me so much about the media reports about him. If I was one of the scientists studying him, I'd want to know more about his spiritual faith and his relationship to his Goddess.

What is also funny in a pathetic and infuriating kind of way is the way the critics respond to it: "oh, it's impossible because he would have died, therefore the whole thing must be a sham" instead of being interested by the fact that he doesn't die.

Hellbent said:

@The Lag: unless the scientists were in on some big sham (why would they be?) Prahlad Jani did not have any hidden food or water up his sleeve....

perhaps they didn't observe him for long enough.

The Lag said:

perhaps they didn't observe him for long enough.

15 days. Scientists had observed him in 2003 and then again in 2010. They did all sorts of tests on him and said brain imaging showed his brain to be that of a 25 year old. So not only is he alive, but very healthy, too.

wikipedia:
"Based on Jani's reported levels of leptin and ghrelin, two appetite-related hormones, DRDO researchers posited that Jani may be demonstrating an extreme form of adaptation to starvation and water restriction.[16]"

science. perhaps he has fasted, extremely, off and on for 70 years and his body has adapted.
i do not believe that he has gone over 70 years without ANY food or water.
perhaps he should be studied for a longer period, in a controlled environment, than 15 days?
not impressed.

Hellbent said:

If I was one of the scientists studying him, I'd want to know more about his spiritual faith and his relationship to his Goddess.

At which point you'd switch from being a scientist to a theologian, since the supernatural world doesn't readily lend itself to objective study and analysis.

The Lag said:

wikipedia:
"Based on Jani's reported levels of leptin and ghrelin, two appetite-related hormones, DRDO researchers posited that Jani may be demonstrating an extreme form of adaptation to starvation and water restriction.[16]"

science. perhaps he has fasted, extremely, off and on for 70 years and his body has adapted.
i do not believe that he has gone over 70 years without ANY food or water.
perhaps he should be studied for a longer period, in a controlled environment, than 15 days?
not impressed.

If you're not impressed from a purely scientific explanation point of view, then you have an inadequate appreciation of the human's bodily needs. It would be extraordinary if he survived ten days without water and then died. But to go a minimum of 15 days and not only do you not die, but you do not decline at all--that's really beyond adaptation--or if it is a form of adaptation it is extremely impressive, no?

GreyGhost said:

At which point you'd switch from being a scientist to a theologian, since the supernatural world doesn't readily lend itself to objective study and analysis.

I still think that sort of inquisitiveness and interest on behalf of the scientists would be helpful, even if they can't test any of it, they can at least then be in a position to entertain the possibility that something is working on the man outside the realm of what science can explain, instead of only being satisfied by a scientific explanation. Because if there is no conventional scientific explanation, then the scientists will be forever baffled or be forced to propose scientific explanations that are absurd.

Hellbent said:

they can at least then be in a position to entertain the possibility that something is working on the man outside the realm of what science can explain

I think willpower can be explained by science. If he was recoded at going without food or water for 15 days then he went without food and water for 15 days, because he's a resilient and determined motherfucker and he forced himself to do so. Why is a supernatural explanation needed on this one?